PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What does Guide Price mean?

Excuse me if this has been asked before, but our EA has put our house on the market with a "guide price". Since every buyer always offers under the asking price, how does this differ from a normal price?

Should I expect offers a lot lower or higher or will it not make any difference?

Thanks

Comments

• Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    I think its EA mumbo jumbo, and don't pay it any attention.

Might be an idea to ask your EA. They presumably know what they are doing, and have a strategy in mind...or maybe not.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    vet8 wrote: »
    Excuse me if this has been asked before, but our EA has put our house on the market with a "guide price". Since every buyer always offers under the asking price, how does this differ from a normal price?

Should I expect offers a lot lower or higher or will it not make any difference?

Thanks
    Did they tell you what it means? Did they tell you this was what they were going to do? Basically, you should have understood this and agreed to it before it was ever put on the market so described.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Eric1
    Eric1 Posts: 490 Forumite
    I think its EA mumbo jumbo, and don't pay it any attention.
    EAs must be thinking they are giving some hidden psychological messages to attract buyers like myself.
    But the problem is I don't care :D
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    The "guide price" was a higher price than the figure I had in mind. Mine was clearly only a guess, but a pretty educated one bearing in mind the value of other houses sold in the area. The EA was insistent it was a guide price and someone told me I should expect higher offers, someon else said lower. It seems to mean nothing special, but I just wondered if anyone knew the definitive answer.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    The problem is that because there is no generally understood meaning to the term guide price, you are effectively filing to communicate your expectations clearly to the market. Personally, as buyer I would tend avoid EA's who use guide price for just that reason. That is just me. And as seller, I would not agree to be marketed in that way.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • ciano125
    ciano125 Posts: 492
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Put yourself in a potential buyers shoes. If you saw a house with a guide price of say £130k to £140k, would you be likely to offer £150k? Of course not, they've already indicated they will take £130k. I imagine that some EA's will hope that by doing this some people will be put off offering lower than £130k, but most buyers these days I imagine will see straight past that and go in lower anyway.
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    That's my view.

We have had one offer, which is slightly below the figure I thought the house was worth, I am happy with that, but I cannot see what the EA hoped to gain by their Guide price which was slightly higher. It seems to work out the same anyway.

Having said that I must say, much to my amazement, that I am very impressed with the EA. They are a fairly new, very local, independent firm who seem to really work like Trogans to sell the house. They are much better than any firm I have used in the past. Yes, they are still greasy salesmen, but I am impressed by them. They started up in the worst of the recession and seemed to have survived well, even though 4 other local EAs have folded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure