Cming out of bankruptcy

Hi any information is greatly appreciated.
I was made bankrupt in Feb 2011 I came out a year later and am due to end the 6 year period from Feb 2011 in Feb 2017 . What I would like some advise on is as follows

Firstly I managed to the house for myself and the family but our current mortgage rate is high and I wanted to go for a remortgage when the 6 years is up will I be able to get a good deal ? The property is in joint name with my partner.

Secondly is there anything you can recommend I do to start improving my credit file from now in the build up to February next year when the 6 years is up ? I currently only hold one direct debit card by the coop bank which is a basic bankrupt account
I keep getting credit card offers (to apparently help build your credit file up again ) but am not sure whether to apply for them as worried it will just fail one of the cards I continually get mail for is Vanquish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as its been really hard. Thank you

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Ramerez and welcome to the forum.

Your credit file will certainly look "cleaner" when the last trace of your bankruptcy expires, but it's impossible to say whether you will get a "good" deal as there are a number of factors involved besides what is on your credit report e.g. loan - to - value ratio, job security, affordability assessments etc. What we can say is that there will be one less obstacle to your chances when the bankruptcy disappears.

As far as cleaning up your credit file before then is concerned, I would refer to the very useful "sticky" post here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677875

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Johnsmith2016
    Johnsmith2016 Posts: 436 Forumite
    Use the credit file clean up thread. Get a vanquis card and pay off in full - dont fear credit get straight back on the wagon and manage it well. Get a decent depsoit 20% plus. Nationwide lend 36 months after discharge... Try them.
  • Thanks John Smith and Dennis for your help its greatly appreciated.

Ramerez
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport