PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice re house purchase

Comments

• smmeadow
    smmeadow Posts: 53 Forumite
    haha ive made it sound a total nightmare havent I! Funny enough the roof was the only thing the survey didnt bring up any major problems with. Just a few tiles needed to be replaced.

Loft isnt adequately insulated tho
  • norm_
    norm_ Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How do you know about the offer at 110k? And why would you then bid higher?
  • alumende27
    alumende27 Posts: 363 Forumite
    If you use the nationwide house price index calculator to check prices: if the vendor paid around £82K in 2011 it would be worth around £100K now.

It seems like a lot of work to take on for someone that's a first time buyer, but I always regret not buying a house that needed a total refurb for my first property, it was a massive bargain.

I can only recommend that are you absolutely sure of what work needs doing, get quotes and budget appropriately.
  • smmeadow
    This is literally turning into a full on nightmare. My electrician went there and did the check on saturday and said it was so unsafe he took all the fuses out and disconnected it. There was even live wires out.

Now the seller is furious that we have disconnected the electrics acting like we have done something wrong.

I wasn't there when he did it. She was offered to go but refused. The woman is a bloody nightmare.

She has rung the estate agent and basically shouted at them.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    smmeadow wrote: »
    My electrician went there and did the check on saturday and said it was so unsafe he took all the fuses out and disconnected it. There was even live wires out.
    Those running cannabis farms tend not to have particularly compliant electrical installations (or to run the power through the meter).
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    And the seller used the house as a cannabis farm seen it with my own eyes as I rent a few doors down so she can't be short of a few bob

Why didn't you tell the police?
  • smmeadow
    The reason I know is because I saw the police there. The next door neighbours told the police.

I don't think anyone was charged as can't find anything out about it online.

I don't mind doing the work on the house but this is literally turning into the biggest nightmare ever. The seller is completely delusional about the state of the house.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This is literally turning into a full on nightmare. My electrician went there and did the check on saturday and said it was so unsafe he took all the fuses out and disconnected it. There was even live wires out.

Now the seller is furious that we have disconnected the electrics acting like we have done something wrong.

I wasn't there when he did it. She was offered to go but refused. The woman is a bloody nightmare.

She has rung the estate agent and basically shouted at them.

The electrician has done the estate agents and the seller an enormous service. They are inviting the public onto the premises to view it, and they have a duty to make it safe.

They could have had a £200,000 fine.
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/estate-agent-fined-200000-after-woman-falls-down-well-during-viewing-6470819/

I'd definitely tell them this.

In any case, she can rant away, but does she want to sell the house or not?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The reason I know is because I saw the police there. The next door neighbours told the police.

I don't think anyone was charged as can't find anything out about it online.

I don't mind doing the work on the house but this is literally turning into the biggest nightmare ever. The seller is completely delusional about the state of the house.

Then don't buy it!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Okrib
    Okrib Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Some sellers can be totally unrealistic. Time tends to make them see sense.

Make your offer, and then leave it on the table (while looking for other houses). You're chain free, and cash - by the sounds of it there could be valuation issues for mortgage buyers.

As for the figure, well that's up to you. You have some wriggle room due to the fact you'll be saving money on the works, but even so I'd not be wanting to pay more that £100,000 by the sounds of it (but then I hate greedy, unrealistic sellers).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure