Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lidl brochures seem now to be printed on recycled paper. Much appreciated - shame they can't bring in recycled loo rolls as a standard product....
    Organic week - a bit disappointing. I would have loved to see goat's cheese, milk and VEG!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • Happygreen
    buglawton wrote: »
    Lidl lamb shank - approx half amount of Aldi lamb shank at around same price.

Lidl barbecue chicken wings. Edible but the sauce is in gooey lumps instead of spread evenly over the wings.

Own fault for being too lazy to (literally) go the extra mile for Aldi.

OH keeps on buying these meats in cardboard packets from Lidl. I must say that I don't like either of them very much, there is something about the sauces (although I couldn't find any real nasties in the ingredients list....), maybe it's the spice mixes. I just prefer to do it myself ;) and would not cook anything in plastic. He'll never learn :o
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    buglawton wrote: »
    Lidl lamb shank - approx half amount of Aldi lamb shank at around same price.

Lidl barbecue chicken wings. Edible but the sauce is in gooey lumps instead of spread evenly over the wings.

Own fault for being too lazy to (literally) go the extra mile for Aldi.

I've had the BBQ beef from Lidl (I think it's in a Bourbon sauce). It tastes fine but its a miniscule piece of meat that's supposed to serve 3. I'd only buy it on offer, it's certainly not worth full price.

It's my own fault for being too lazy to make my own pulled beef or pork.:o
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    maman wrote: »
    I've had the BBQ beef from Lidl (I think it's in a Bourbon sauce). It tastes fine but its a miniscule piece of meat that's supposed to serve 3. I'd only buy it on offer, it's certainly not worth full price.

It's my own fault for being too lazy to make my own pulled beef or pork.:o

I'm not keen on the boxed meats either. Tried the pulled pork once and wasn't keen, plus, as you say, it's minuscule for the price.

I prefer to buy a piece of pork shoulder or beef brisket in Aldi for around the same price but 2-3 times the quantity and make it myself. Far nicer and much better value.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The Pulled Beef is delicious, and it was often included in Lidl's Half price offers which made it good VFM. I see can it being 2 portions, not 3.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Scotland seems to get much better non-food offers.

I picked up a massive festival rucksack, and wine cooler with glasses, both v girly designs and both reduced by £5 each last week as the Scottish "summer" was ending. (I think this might be synchronised with school dates rather than actual temperature). The rucksack has been invaluable already: the wine cooler will have its first outing on Tuesday evening :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Scotland seems to get much better non-food offers.

I picked up a massive festival rucksack, and wine cooler with glasses, both v girly designs and both reduced by £5 each last week as the Scottish "summer" was ending. (I think this might be synchronised with school dates rather than actual temperature). The rucksack has been invaluable already: the wine cooler will have its first outing on Tuesday evening :)

Scotland actually has a Summer :eek: ;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Oh my, this made me laugh, I'm from Scotland.

The kids are back next week, so it will be sunshine !!.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Oh my, this made me laugh, I'm from Scotland.

The kids are back next week, so it will be sunshine !!.

Perfect timing for me to head to Scotland then :cool:
  • Happygreen
    robin58 wrote: »
    Scotland actually has a Summer :eek: ;)

well....it's summer for people who are too hot and dry in other places and because the kids are off school. :rotfl:
    Do we really get better non-food stuff? When I'm visiting Germany Lidl seem to have the same + on-line shopping for large specials. So England gets different things? Can't imagine why...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure