Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    davie213 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    i have question on charges is this fair or should i try claim back these charges Bank Of Scotland let me have 4500 overdraft to use which i do , but now there charges for using is 62 pounds a month so as been using for over 2 years due to family problems come to 1488 ,so my question is can i claim this back surely this is not fair ,Tha nks for any info

It costs money to borrow money, that's how the banks make their own money. What's unfair about it, do you feel?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Hi,

I submitted quite an in-depth bank charges case to the FOS about a year ago and about 6 months ago and had a brief 'no' response that seemed to be their current standard reply to this issue and didn't respond to half of my points of arguement.

So I asked for one of their ombudsmen to look at the case more thoroughly about 6 months ago. They wrote to me a few times keeping me informed that it hadn't been looked at yet and that they would keep in touch, but the last I heard from them was in February.

Can I ask them to hurry up? Is there a time limit by which they have to get back to me or agree my case? It's over 100 pages long and I suspect they keep putting off dealing with it.

Any suggestions?
  • mudstuff
    mudstuff Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi All, after some advice.

Back in July 2007, I had a DD returned and a £25 charge. I then incurred monthly charges Sept-Dec totalling £525 including the initial £25. I had been heavily overdrawn for a long time and this was totally out of the blue with no notification from the bank (HSBC) of any terms changing etc. I ultimately consolidated and haven't had an overdraft or credit card since.

This was hugely stressful at the time, however, and I'd like to try and get this back. It came out of the blue, I couldn't understand what exactly they related to and the bank weren't helpful at all. I even received a £150 charge for Nov-Dec just after consolidating and losing my credit card and overdraft facility so struggled for a couple of months.

I appreciate I should have done something earlier but wasn't aware of all this. I've spent a bit of time ont he site today and see that there was a ruling and things are different now but figured it was worth a go - is it indeed worth it and what is my first step?

Do I write the letter to the account holding branch or is it possible to achieve this via email/online/phone to get things going?...
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 May 2011 at 3:24PM
    Hi,

I submitted quite an in-depth bank charges case to the FOS about a year ago and about 6 months ago and had a brief 'no' response that seemed to be their current standard reply to this issue and didn't respond to half of my points of arguement.

So I asked for one of their ombudsmen to look at the case more thoroughly about 6 months ago. They wrote to me a few times keeping me informed that it hadn't been looked at yet and that they would keep in touch, but the last I heard from them was in February.

Can I ask them to hurry up? Is there a time limit by which they have to get back to me or agree my case? It's over 100 pages long and I suspect they keep putting off dealing with it.

Any suggestions?

If the FOS have not yet fully responded, and haven't suggested how much longer they may need, then why not simply ask them how much longer they think they will need?

I don't know why your claim is 100 pages long. All you needed to do was explain briefly why you believe you are in financial hardship, and then go onto say why you think the bank's reponse (if any) was not positive and sympathetic.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mudstuff wrote: »
    Hi All, after some advice.

Back in July 2007, I had a DD returned and a £25 charge. I then incurred monthly charges Sept-Dec totalling £525 including the initial £25. I had been heavily overdrawn for a long time and this was totally out of the blue with no notification from the bank (HSBC) of any terms changing etc. I ultimately consolidated and haven't had an overdraft or credit card since.

This was hugely stressful at the time, however, and I'd like to try and get this back. It came out of the blue, I couldn't understand what exactly they related to and the bank weren't helpful at all. I even received a £150 charge for Nov-Dec just after consolidating and losing my credit card and overdraft facility so struggled for a couple of months.

I appreciate I should have done something earlier but wasn't aware of all this. I've spent a bit of time ont he site today and see that there was a ruling and things are different now but figured it was worth a go - is it indeed worth it and what is my first step?

Do I write the letter to the account holding branch or is it possible to achieve this via email/online/phone to get things going?...

I suggest you read the advise in the MSE article.

Also be aware that based on reports from others, only the charges incurred within the last 6 months are usually considered possibly refundable under financial hardship.(and even that is certainly not guaranteed)
    As you incurred the charge back in 2007, I would suggest you forget about reclaiming it under financial hardship.
  • tre1951
    tre1951 Posts: 2 Newbie
    If you have had ppi, and had bank charges on that account, could that be now used as a reason for unreasonable charges on account?
  • Engeroosi
    Engeroosi Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone have an address to send a claim letter to bank of scotland?
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    hi, ive asked all my statements and i have only £400 of charges in the last 6 years. is it worth me going any further? the charges are concentrated in 2005/2006.
    i dont meet any ombusdman criteria though.
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    People are unfortunately having no success in reclaiming 6 years of bank charges at the moment, let alone any further back. Which route are you thinking of going down?
  • redfeed
    redfeed Posts: 2 Newbie
    I have just tried to get info about extending my mortgage. I rang the local Barclays branch to make an appointment with an advisor, he rang 4 hours before my appointment to say that he could not deal with my query and that i had to ring the 0800 number. I did that only to be told that i had to go through the branch. Untrained!!
    I now have a question, although it is my resposibility, I have been allowed over the past 10 years to take money to the old valuation of my house to assist in the very difficult years that i have just had. I will have a fairly large shortfall when my mortgage is due in 18 months time. Does the bank have any resposibility for this? as it has basicly lent me money that i cannot afford. I did not do this on purpose? Any suggestions would be greatfully received.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback