Section 75 refunds - article discussion

Comments

• VSN127
    VSN127 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi there, I'm new in the forum.
    Have got a question on Sec. 75 limit. i. e. Is £100-£30,000 limit applies to one Credit Card or is it for overall eg.the maximum claim put together all the ccs £30,000 ?
    apologies, if someone already asked this question and answered by a gentleman/lady in the forum. Had a brief look but didn't come across this question.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    VSN127 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm new in the forum.
    Have got a question on Sec. 75 limit. i. e. Is £100-£30,000 limit applies to one Credit Card or is it for overall eg.the maximum claim put together all the ccs £30,000 ?
    apologies, if someone already asked this question and answered by a gentleman/lady in the forum. Had a brief look but didn't come across this question.

It's the price of the item that is important.

If you buy an item with a cash price of between £100 and £30,000...

... and pay some or all of the price with one or more credit cards, you should have section 75 protection.
  • VSN127
    Am I not covered under S75, if I pay the deposit with Debit card ?
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Am I not covered under S75, if I pay the deposit with Debit card ?

No, unless some paid on finance, but chargeback may apply.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Sorry, Have paid initial deposit with the Debit card and rest of the amount with credit card. Will I still be covered under S75 ?
  • derrick
    Sorry, Have paid initial deposit with the Debit card and rest of the amount with credit card. Will I still be covered under S75 ?

Yes you are for the full amount, it does not matter how much is put on the CC, (even 1p), the whole amount is covered within the limits.

• steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hopefully a stupid question.

Does it matter if after paying the deposit on a credit card, you then pay the remaining balance in hard cash.
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • derrick
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Hopefully a stupid question.

Does it matter if after paying the deposit on a credit card, you then pay the remaining balance in hard cash.

No, the whole transaction is covered under S75.

• VSN127
    Santander declined my claim (sent me a letter) by saying that I don't qualify for S75 because I've paid the deposit with my debit card!.
    Do I have to write to Financial Ombudsman Service now ? or can I raise a complaint in Santander itself ?
  • derrick
    Santander declined my claim (sent me a letter) by saying that I don't qualify for S75 because I've paid the deposit with my debit card!.
    Do I have to write to Financial Ombudsman Service now ? or can I raise a complaint in Santander itself ?

Santander are wrong, any amount paid by credit in what ever order is covered by S75 as long as the other criteria are met, i.e. product between £100- 30000.

Request a review from Santander then if same outcome complain to the FOS.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport