When 1st MOT due on new car

Comments

• tink123_2
    tink123_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Gosh i'm frightened to post now-things do seem to get really personal on this forum!!
  • banger9365
    banger9365 Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    3 years from the date the car was registed ,the car will need a MOT eg
    registed on the 1st jan 2000 meens it nead it first mot before 1st jan 2003 (you can do it one month before)1st dec 2002 is the earlyest you can mot it >
    you can find the date of registion on the V5c (registration certificate/log book)on secstion 4 and then B and B1
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

• Everyone finished bickering have they?! It must be so great to never make a mistake, or to fully understand absolutely everything. People come onto this site to get help and constructive advice, not abuse.
    I think some of you have issues, get over yourselves & have a nice life:heart2: :heart2:
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    GUESTY74 wrote: »
    Everyone finished bickering have they?!

yip a over a month ago.
    ...work permit granted!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    GUESTY74 wrote: »
    Everyone finished bickering have they?! It must be so great to never make a mistake, or to fully understand absolutely everything. People come onto this site to get help and constructive advice, not abuse.
    I think some of you have issues, get over yourselves & have a nice life:heart2: :heart2:

how random?
    ...work permit granted!
  • bordercars
    bordercars Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    an mot is due on the date of its third birhday, you can present it 1 month early and get a ticket issued for 13months, this of course makes sense inso much as if it fails you have a month on the road to get it sorted.

i have my car tested every 6 months from new. it's a taxi , and is one of the reasons fares are what they are, think about it next time you grab a cab
    Div 1 Play Off Winners 2007
    CCC Play Off Winners 2010
  • [Q

I registered just to reply to your offensive responses
    I bought a bike which was first registered 01.01.07. so tax and Ist Mot due 01.01.10

I know this and have not had any reminders so I thought I would SORN it till I sorted out what is going on. On the DVLA site I discovered they say it is Taxed until April. MOT site states it is due on date of first registration I have been driving since 1968 new and old vehicles, I am surprised they dont issue a reminder as it is possible that a vehicle could sit around for a month or so at a dealers and the tax would be out of synch with the 1st MOT.

I googled 1st Mot and first item was this website.
    ;pretending people confuse the MOT with a service is silly Ref the old man who goes by the mileage for a service, this was the way it happened in the old days.
  • peeder wrote: »
    I know this and have not had any reminders so I thought I would SORN it till I sorted out what is going on. On the DVLA site I discovered they say it is Taxed until April. MOT site states it is due on date of first registration I have been driving since 1968 new and old vehicles, I am surprised they dont issue a reminder as it is possible that a vehicle could sit around for a month or so at a dealers and the tax would be out of synch with the 1st MOT.

well its up to you to notice on your log book which date it was first registered.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Essex_Guy
    Essex_Guy Posts: 13 Forumite
    I ended up here after Googling as I wanted to ascertain if I could get a 13 month MOT as a 'first' MOT, similar to when you take along a current MOT a month before it's due to expire.

Seems no one has answered the question to include this option, so here is the answer:

If the vehicle is tested within the calendar month prior to when the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate. For example, if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2007, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2007, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2008.

The same rule would also apply when the vehicle is taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document.

If the vehicle is tested earlier than one month before its due date, the MOT will only run for twelve months.

So your 'new' car can have it's MOT at the age of 35 months and you will get a 13 month MOT. Good enough for me.
    Essex_Guy
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Essex_Guy wrote: »
    I ended up here after Googling as I wanted to ascertain if I could get a 13 month MOT as a 'first' MOT, similar to when you take along a current MOT a month before it's due to expire.

Seems no one has answered the question to include this option
    With respect, it has been mentioned.

Bordercars said this...
    bordercars wrote: »
    an mot is due on the date of its third birhday, you can present it 1 month early and get a ticket issued for 13months...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure