Financial Help For Blind Person

Comments

• :Was this diagnosis new - how new? Does the mortgage company think you are able to work?

You could be looking at miselling here. It's unfair they didn't take your disability into account.

To answer your question you will get nothing other than DLA as sadly are above the limits.

It's an unfair system of benefits - rental and social housing get paid if low income, mortgages don't get this. :(
  • we put down a deposit of around the 8 grand mark can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head.

and no i cant work my vision is too poor
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    :Was this diagnosis new - how new? Does the mortgage company think you are able to work?

You could be looking at miselling here. It's unfair they didn't take your disability into account.

To answer your question you will get nothing other than DLA as sadly are above the limits.

It's an unfair system of benefits - rental and social housing get paid if low income, mortgages don't get this. :(

housing benefit for low income is a totally different thing.

housing benefit pays for somehwere to live, paying towatds a mortgage would be helping to buy an asset.

SMI is available to people on means tested benefit.

all the rhetoric anout ... houseowners pay for their homes so so should people in social housing ...
    the homeowners will have something to show for it, the tenants never will
  • we put down a deposit of around the 8 grand mark can't remember the exact figures off the top of my head.

and no i cant work my vision is too poor

Sadly you won't get anything other than DLA

Have you checked your contributions?

You only need to work a bit for entitlement - years 2010 - 2012 jan to jan. did you earn over £5600 and work most weeks?
  • nannytone_2
    the OP was on income support before getting married.
    if he wasnt entitled to conts based then, its highly inlikely that he would be now
  • nannytone wrote: »
    the OP was on income support before getting married.
    if he wasnt entitled to conts based then, its highly inlikely that he would be now

Yes - as they chose to better themselves as opposed to rely on public rents they will struggle.

Op your mortgage, council tax and bills will leave you short, can your wife increase her hours?

Home owners are often shafted :(
  • no sadly i was only able to work for a year or 2 after leaving school which was when i started getting Income support and DLA.

i wasnt sure but i was told that i could no longer get income supprt because my wife worked more than 24 hours but i thought i was still allowed to get it because i thought it was either the partner worked 24 hours or made more than £16,000 a year which in that case she makes less than £10,000 a year.

my wife works 27 hours per week and hardly ever gets any extra hours.
  • no sadly i was only able to work for a year or 2 after leaving school which was when i started getting Income support and DLA.

i wasnt sure but i was told that i could no longer get income supprt because my wife worked more than 24 hours but i thought i was still allowed to get it because i thought it was either the partner worked 24 hours or made more than £16,000 a year which in that case she makes less than £10,000 a year.

my wife works 27 hours per week and hardly ever gets any extra hours.

It's based on £111 per week per couple. Have you considered care allowance (don't know if this is an option), but she could earn £100 pw on top?
  • nannytone_2
    the partner only needs to earn £111 a week to make tou ineligable for income support.

what condition do you have?
  • nannytone_2
    It's based on £111 per week per couple. Have you considered care allowance (don't know if this is an option), but she could earn £100 pw on top?

the OP would need to get middle or high rate care.
    his wife earns too mych to be able to claim it anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport