Call 08456 from mobile rip-off

Hello folks,

I called my bank (First Direct) on their only published number (08456... etc) from my mobile on Saturday. I could have called from a landline, but the mobile was more convenient at that moment, and who cares I've got lots of inclusive minutes etc...

Anyhow, it turns out that a 22 minute call cost me £3.80, and I've still got lots of inclusive minutes left.

A call to an 08456 number from a landline would be cheaper than most geographic numbers.

So what is going on here?

I cannot think of any logical reason why calls from a mobile to an 08456 number cost so much money.

Can anybody explain?

Thanks.

Comments

• Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Most inclusive minutes don't include 0845 numbers, and they are pretty expensive to call from mobiles.

Doesn't seem so convenient now, hey? :)
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    There is no logical reason. Will be in the contract though and vendors hope people like you call the numbers which they can cash in on.
  • My gripe is that phone banking is a very ordinary thing to do, and so is mobile phone usage, so why the massive premium charge?

BTW does anyone know the geographic (Leeds?) number for FirstDirect?
  • J1MB0 wrote: »
    My gripe is that phone banking is a very ordinary thing to do, and so is mobile phone usage, so why the massive premium charge?

BTW does anyone know the geographic (Leeds?) number for FirstDirect?

Its 0113-2345678 which i'm sure you'll never forget:D

In future use https://www.saynoto0870.com to obtain geographical numbers.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I cant believe how many times we have to say

SAYNOTO0870 will give you a generic number

if you have a telephone package where evening and weekend calls are free then ring the generic number at those times. most of these call centres including p & o ferries, insurance companies, DWP, etc are open after 6pm and often till 8 so they dont cost anythign at all.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport