CARAVAN TALK and its billious posters

What is it about certain forums, that when someone genuinely wants help and advice creates a thread; there is a certain bitter element in the community determined to heinously spew their bile to decimate the 'threader' - conveniently from a protected vantage point of hiding behind a Username? They don't even know the person, never met them, don't know what is/not happening in their life?

Yetm when the upset threader has the temerity to answer like with like, THEY are the one (ostensibly) in the wrong? Mind you, they are in good company. According to news 'out there', CARAVAN TALK banned a leading caravan company, simply because they refused to 'donate' to the site! How autocratic is that! Isn't 'donate' a choice?

There should be a health warning with those type of forums - it would save a load of time and unwarranted upset, to know it's not safe to go there in the first place.:mad::p

Comments

• seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm disappointed.

Honestly thought this was going to be about posters (those paper things that teenagers hang on their bedroom walls) in nausea inducing colours. I love a good art critique, but sadly it's not to be.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 March 2018 at 10:48AM
    After witnessing a caravan owner insisting on reversing under a tree damaging both the van and tree despite vast space either side to pitch then ignore the adjacent parking space and park their car at a bizarre angle, six inches from the entrance to a tent forcing the tent owners to move their tent to access it, all done for no apparent reason other than gross stupidity, nothing on a caravan forum would surprise me.

The knee length socks and sandals summed him up.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 9:30AM
    .... According to news 'out there', CARAVAN TALK banned a leading caravan company, simply because they refused to 'donate' to the site! How autocratic is that! Isn't 'donate' a choice?.
    You're aware that 'free' sites cost money to host?

It's common to ask traders to help pay the costs - and in return they can post under their company name, engage with their customers etc.
    when someone genuinely wants help and advice creates a thread; there is a certain bitter element in the community determined to heinously spew their bile to decimate the 'threader' - conveniently from a protected vantage point of hiding behind a Username?
    Moderating a forum is a pretty thankless task. There are always a few idiots. Its tricky deciding how far to let some things run and when to step in.
    Yetm when the upset threader has the temerity to answer like with like, THEY are the one (ostensibly) in the wrong?
    Maybe they stay just the right side of the moderating rules, whereas you did not? If you have to resort to 'but she pulled my hair first' maybe you've lost too? If you had a problem, maybe you should have contacted a moderator? Do you know for sure that the other poster(s) didn't get warnings too?
    They don't even know the person, never met them, don't know what is/not happening in their life?
    That's true of every forum. And indeed every interaction in life. You don't know if my dog died yesterday, whether I have a serious illness, whether I've taken my medication this morning.
  • "What is it about certain forums, that when someone genuinely wants help and advice creates a thread; there is a certain bitter element in the community determined to heinously spew their bile to decimate the 'threader' - conveniently from a protected vantage point of hiding behind a Username? They don't even know the person, never met them, don't know what is/not happening in their life?"

Sounds very much like many posters on M.S.E. too.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2018 at 1:41PM
    "What is it about certain forums, that when someone genuinely wants help and advice creates a thread; there is a certain bitter element in the community determined to heinously spew their bile to decimate the 'threader' - conveniently from a protected vantage point of hiding behind a Username? They don't even know the person, never met them, don't know what is/not happening in their life?"

The op should really know that by now if you look at his/her previous rants. It's a 100% rant rate and received in the usual way.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    What is it about certain forums, that when someone genuinely wants help and advice creates a thread; there is a certain bitter element in the community determined to heinously spew their bile to decimate the 'threader' - conveniently from a protected vantage point of hiding behind a Username? They don't even know the person, never met them, don't know what is/not happening in their life?

Yetm when the upset threader has the temerity to answer like with like, THEY are the one (ostensibly) in the wrong? Mind you, they are in good company. According to news 'out there', CARAVAN TALK banned a leading caravan company, simply because they refused to 'donate' to the site! How autocratic is that! Isn't 'donate' a choice?

There should be a health warning with those type of forums - it would save a load of time and unwarranted upset, to know it's not safe to go there in the first place.:mad::p

You mean a leading caravan company using the forum as an avenue to raise their profile with potential customers?
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2018 at 7:00PM
    seashore22 wrote: »
    The op should really know that by now if you look at his/her previous rants. It's a 100% rant rate and received in the usual way.
    Yes - I've just spent a few moments looking at some of their previous rants. It seems that they manage to rub people up the wrong way when they meet them face to face too!

I don't believe they've ever pressed the 'thanks' button.

I'm not suprised they were banned from a forum less tolerant than this one.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    CARAVAN TALK
    Just curious why this needed capitals...
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you tried ukcampsite oh my... Been banned several times because I marked their misleading articles as spam/advertising.

Site admin has several accounts and posts what a brilliant product I bought, no your the site admin and you received the product freely to post a fake glowing review, even when said product has some obvious design flaws.

Yes sites get products for review, no foul in that but pretending to be a normal poster and not declaring its basically an advert is wrong.

Although the OP fails to mention what the issue was in their case, i do wonder if its i bought a twin axle caravan and want to know if my 1L fiesta can tow it. They then get upset when told its stupidly dangerous when they reveal they have already towed it.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    "What is it about certain forums, that when someone genuinely wants help and advice creates a thread; there is a certain bitter element in the community determined to heinously spew their bile to decimate the 'threader' - conveniently from a protected vantage point of hiding behind a Username? They don't even know the person, never met them, don't know what is/not happening in their life?"

Just have a look at the Motoring forum here on MSE.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure