PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spring Cleaning the Freezers - 52 days on £70

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 7:24PM
    First spends of the challenge done at Mr T. It would have been cheaper to go to Mr A but I had to pick up the rest of DS prescription and it was on the way back from a work meeting.

I bought:

4 pints skimmed milk - £1.09
    1L sunflower oil - £1.20
    Value apple juice - £0.65
    ys GF bread - £1.70
    2 wholemeal loves - £1.10
    Cumin powder - £1.15
    15 value eggs - £1.15

TOTAL SPENT - £8.14 AMOUNT LEFT - £61.86 DAYS REMAINING - 50

And I forgot to buy hair dye :mad:

I bought the GF bread as I wont have time to make any tonight or tomorrow. If I slice it thinly and freeze it in 2 slice portions it will last me until next weekend.

I opted for the bag of cumin powder in the world foods aisle rather than the smaller jar in the spice aisle as it was much better value although 30p more initial outlay and we use a fair bit of this spice.

As I didn't eat my lunch until nearly 5pm I am not hungry enough for any dinner and DH has asked more another round of corned beef sandwiches rather than the sausages planned. These would have been tomorrow's lunch but since he is going to a meeting tomorrow now where lunch is provided it wont mess up the plan.

The last bit of beetroot has been used up in one jar and I will finish the other jar in DHs sandwiches on Friday :)

Neither of us having tea isn't helping shift the gazillion sausages we have though! It's going to take a loooooong time to eat everything at this rate.

I checked last week's Asda receipt and I have a £2.88 price guarantee voucher but I can't get the printer to work to print it off. I will ask DH to do it. I rechecked the one from a couple of weeks ago which had 92p on originally but said it was cheaper today. They must check against the prices on the day you check it not the day it was purchased.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • MrsPear
    MrsPear Posts: 55 Forumite
    How about sausage pasta?
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    As an aside Boots did have Nice n'easy hair dye for £1.59 a couple of weeks ago (I posted it on the grabbit board) The boxes have changed shape and these are the old stock- they only seemed to be reduced in B's- not MrT or Mr M. Maybe worth a look

Online they are showing @£2.40- but one forumite ordered online, collected at the store, got her money back (@£2.40) and then bought then back again @ £1.59!

Sorry, I want to fill your bathroom shelves instaed of kitchen cupboards
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    MrsPear wrote: »
    How about sausage pasta?

Thanks for the suggestion, I will add that to the list of meals to make, DS should eat that too.
    Katiehound wrote: »
    As an aside Boots did have Nice n'easy hair dye for £1.59 a couple of weeks ago (I posted it on the grabbit board) The boxes have changed shape and these are the old stock- they only seemed to be reduced in B's- not MrT or Mr M. Maybe worth a look

Online they are showing @£2.40- but one forumite ordered online, collected at the store, got her money back (@£2.40) and then bought then back again @ £1.59!

Sorry, I want to fill your bathroom shelves instaed of kitchen cupboards

Thanks Katiehound. It is the nice and easy one I use and I am passing a Boots tomorrow so will have a look. I think I may have about £4.00 of advantage points to use up too :)
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,853
    Forumite
    I shall be following your thread with interest, XSpender, as I'm also trying to get through a backlog of stored food. Today I had that rare thing, a stay at home and cook day, so I have made inroads though the freezer and shelves are still what most people would probably consider full. I have already pinched your mango and strawberry pound cake recipe for some special occasion as I too have coconut oil to use.

This is what I managed today: yesterday's fruit fool plus a bit of left-over custard has been frozen and relabelled ice cream. ;) 400ml of double cream left over from entertaining is now nearly 7oz of butter and a small amount of buttermilk. Two bottles of honey vinegar rescued from my Mum's cupboards, plus odds and ends of veg are now 2 jars of pickle. More veg, spices and some ancient frozen filo pastry made curried veg pie for tea. Some parsnips went into soup. Some milk that was about to turn went into a rice pudding for DS's lunch. A tube of ready to bake croissants and another of cinnamon swirls left over from Christmas are now baked and largely inside DS. I also made a ginger drink to help me through having a cold. It was all good fun!

The next plan is parsnip and apple soup (new recipe but I'm fed up of curried parsnip), and to use up the bananas in some muffins.

It intrigues me how different people use ingredients so differently so I'm sure I will find inspiration from reading your further adventures. If you have any great ideas for using a couple of hundred grams' worth of turmeric which DH bought for health reasons then abandoned, please tell me!

Oh, and you've reminded me I have beetroot to use too...
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • XSpender
    Forumite
    Wow Cherry there is some real creativity happening in your kitchen!

I am sure you can make a cake with turmeric and yogurt. I haven't tried it myself as I am not that keen on the flavour of turmeric.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cherryfudge, I used to work at a local university and they were trialling turmeric in lots of things, which included flapjack. I tend to use it more for savoury stuff like saute potatoes, or roasted spicy chickpeas but I also add some to things like potatoes when I am par-boiling for roasting. It should keep ok if its in an air tight tub.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello! Back to the hair dye!
    Hope you haven't dashed off yet.
    Feedback suggests that the items may have different (dearer) prices on the shelves- so get checked at the till.
    The new formula in the new hexagonal boxes are easy to spot!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • Cherryfudge
    Forumite
    I am sure you can make a cake with turmeric and yogurt. I haven't tried it myself as I am not that keen on the flavour of turmeric.

It would certainly make a spectacular colour! DH isn't keen on yogurt but I get through lots so I have some in... might just google that, thanks. :)
    Cherryfudge, I used to work at a local university and they were trialling turmeric in lots of things, which included flapjack. I tend to use it more for savoury stuff like saute potatoes, or roasted spicy chickpeas but I also add some to things like potatoes when I am par-boiling for roasting. It should keep ok if its in an air tight tub.
    Wow, that sounds like a fun job! Imagine being paid to try out recipes. :D. (You can see I like cooking). I think I shall have to be inventive: perhaps add turmeric to everything unless I can think of a good reason not to! That would seem to be the only way to get through such a lot. :D I particularly like the idea of roasted spicy chickpeas (will add that to my recipe hunt today, along with the cake).

It's airtight... in a big tub that says 'gravy'. Has caused confusion more than once. :rotfl:

• Cherryfudge
    Forumite
    Here's the cake I found... it actually looks really good and I think with the addition of orange, even DH might be persuaded to try it.

There's a lot of choice out there for roasted chick pea recipe but this one seems to meet the requirements and I have all the ingredients (surprise, surprise!)

XSpender, what culinary adventures are you planning today? I am in awe of your lists: that must have taken ages. You do seem to have some good things to play with in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family