AG47 wrote: »
    When is the release date for ps VR uk

13th October.

John
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    spoonk1 wrote: »
    Hi I have this pre-ordered and was told by game staff that it does not need the controllers as the dual shock ps4 controller works with some games and others you do need the controllers (the controllers are like the ones came out for the wii) it does need the camera, which is on the tesco double up at the minute and a plus for me is it also works on a gaming pc this page is also helpful with info..http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/137058-playstation-vr-release-date-specs-and-everything-you-need-to-know

Where did they confirm it would work on a PC? They suggested it might happen a few months ago but I've seen nothing more than that. recently.

With regards to the controllers, the controller will be fine for seated VR stuff but the motion controllers on the Vive are way better for room scale gaming - using a controller in VR is an odd disconnect as you can't see it in game so it takes you out of the VR experience. The motion controllers on the other hand perfectly track your physical movement in the virtual world so you feel like you're completely in the virtual world. I bought the Vive planning to use it seated but it's the room scale games where VR really shines.

John
  • I cant wait to see what everybody thinks, it may be amazing or it may go the way of the virtual boy
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    With regards to the controllers, the controller will be fine for seated VR stuff but the motion controllers on the Vive are way better for room scale gaming - using a controller in VR is an odd disconnect as you can't see it in game so it takes you out of the VR experience. The motion controllers on the other hand perfectly track your physical movement in the virtual world so you feel like you're completely in the virtual world. I bought the Vive planning to use it seated but it's the room scale games where VR really shines.

John

Depends on the game. I use a £20 google cardboard type headset with built in headphones, on elite dangerous with a gamepad or joystick and full head tracking with sub 20ms input delay it still feels incredibly immersive, and the FOV is greater than the PSVR or rift, only 'negative' is the low 1080p resolution on my phone, which I spin in to a positive because I'm using a 750ti :)

VR is definitely the future, I don't think the consoles at the moment have the power to do it, but the HTC vive looks awesome. i imagine in 4 or 5 years time immersive headsets with touch controllers will be nearly as common place as phones are now.

In fact, I can imagine in 10-20 years time people just 'living' in a virtual world, hooked up just like the matrix, only 'waking' to either sleep, eat or wash. Will also have great medical uses, especially for those with paralysis, old people unable to walk/communicate properly, brain damaged but with still with cognitive function.
  • Johnmcl7
    I think the current VR systems are incredible, they're nothing like their older counterparts - the difficulty with VR is that it can't be 'good enough', it has to be done perfectly otherwise it's no use. I went from thinking VR is an expensive gimmick I have no interest in to purchasing a Vive after trying out a Rift. It's difficult to describe the experience, it's almost like when you slide on the headset and headphones that you've been transported to another world it's that immersive.

I fired it up for my Mum to have a shot and she was trying one of the mountain top experiences, she was backed up against the wall and I went to move her forward back into the middle of the room but she wouldn't move forward and was fine where she was.

The motion controllers are also superb and nothing like the fairly rubbish Wiimotes, like the headset the controllers track quickly so as you move your hands about, the movements are perfectly tracked in the virtual world.

I think there's a lot of applications past gaming as well, being able to walk around a Minecraft world in VR is amazing - I can see it being a useful tool for architects who would be able to let clients walk around a virtual version of their design first. There's also a lot of potential for the likes of video conferencing, on the PC right now you can have multiplayer VR where you can have people join you in a virtual room, you can talk to the people around you and share your screen as a large one on the wall to watch a film or similar.

John
  • Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    I think the current VR systems are incredible, they're nothing like their older counterparts - the difficulty with VR is that it can't be 'good enough', it has to be done perfectly otherwise it's no use. I went from thinking VR is an expensive gimmick I have no interest in to purchasing a Vive after trying out a Rift. It's difficult to describe the experience, it's almost like when you slide on the headset and headphones that you've been transported to another world it's that immersive.

I fired it up for my Mum to have a shot and she was trying one of the mountain top experiences, she was backed up against the wall and I went to move her forward back into the middle of the room but she wouldn't move forward and was fine where she was.

The motion controllers are also superb and nothing like the fairly rubbish Wiimotes, like the headset the controllers track quickly so as you move your hands about, the movements are perfectly tracked in the virtual world.

I think there's a lot of applications past gaming as well, being able to walk around a Minecraft world in VR is amazing - I can see it being a useful tool for architects who would be able to let clients walk around a virtual version of their design first. There's also a lot of potential for the likes of video conferencing, on the PC right now you can have multiplayer VR where you can have people join you in a virtual room, you can talk to the people around you and share your screen as a large one on the wall to watch a film or similar.

John

Is the ps vr going to be as immersive?
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • Johnmcl7
    From what I've seen of PS VR, it sounds well implemented although I haven't had a chance to try it myself. I really fancy Rez in VR but a second VR headset would be pretty wasteful.

John
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's too pricey. 3D was too pricey which must have harmed its chances. I even know people who haven't upgraded to bluray and still watch dvds. If people are happy with what they have then in most cases they won't upgrade to something new if it costs more. Producers of new tech assume people will clamber for it and pay anything.
  • Johnmcl7
    3D wasn't that pricey (certainly nowhere as much as VR), latterly in many cases it came as standard with TV's for no additional cost. The bigger problem with 3D was it wasn't much of a benefit for people, I have two 3D TV's simply because it came with the technology but preferred watching in 3D.

Although 3D and VR are frequently being equated to each other, they're quite different technologies in their use - 3D was meant to be a successor to 2D but VR is more an addition rather than a replacement. Although I have a VR gaming rig, I still do the same gaming on consoles and PCs whereas VR offers something new and different. What's also very different to 3D is that VR offers a much larger benefit, I've demo'd VR to a variety of people and many are amazed just within the loading area. It's also extremely accessible as unlike conventional gaming, there's no dexterity required with a controller - in some cases all you need to do is move your head and others you can control it purely by moving your hands. It's also much more than just gaming, some of my favourite VR applications are experiences or standard applications.

I didn't 'clamber for VR and pay anything', I tried it out first, thought it was great and invested in a set myself. How mainstream VR goes is anyone's guess but it's already remarkably healthy despite the fact PC VR is extremely pricey.

John
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It wasn't just 3D TVs that spent time costing more. The 3D bluray players Also did cost more. The 3D bluray movies still cost a few quid more than a standard bluray which itself is a few quid more than a DVD. The only 3D channel to have existed was a subscription channel. I agree 3D wasn't as pricey as vr.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure