PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flooding

Hi,

My partner and I are looking at properties in the Peebles area and, as you may know, a lot of the properties are close to the Tweed and Eddleston Water. Its also quite common (so I am told) for there to be flooding.
How do you go about working out if a property is in the 'danger zone'?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    tkb7 wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I are looking at properties in the Peebles area and, as you may know, a lot of the properties are close to the Tweed and Eddleston Water. Its also quite common (so I am told) for there to be flooding.
    How do you go about working out if a property is in the 'danger zone'?

Well for insurance purposes it's within 100m of flowing water I believe
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's a map on the SEPA site which should help.
  • tkb7
    tkb7 Posts: 30 Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    There's a map on the SEPA site which should help.

Ah! Thank you. That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sometimes the name of the road gives you a clue. Springfield Road, Marsh Road, etc.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 899
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 5:53PM
    I live in Peebles with the Cuddy at the bottom of my garden, have never flooded and dont have problems with insurance.
    Sepa have done flood prevention work on the Cuddy about 3 years ago which has noticeably reduced the water level as it approaches Peebles although the people on Cuddyside still have problems occasionally.

Last years major flood mainly affected properties by the Tweed, and it has been quite high a couple of times this year, but anyone can tell you where to avoid buying

ps Eddleston water is called the Cuddy in Peebles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport