PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    My chippy cuts them from the sack on site, on demand. No chip suppliers, nothing frozen.

He even makes his own curry sauces, pies and more. Everything there's cooked "from scratch", proper job. He's got a couple of branded items I think, as people like them (e.g. I think he also sells Pukka pies). Bit pricey though for most of his stuff.... good quality food, but not back street chippy prices, even though it's based on a council estate near an industrial estate and near the tip.

Ours aren't frozen, cut fresh daily, hand cut, machine cut, thin cut, fat cut

We supply one restaurant alone with 400 kgs a day, twice as many in the season, they would need a huge area for that many spuds to be delivered and a lot of staff peeling
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »
    .... staff peeling

I didn't think any staff ever peeled. Chip shops when I was younger used to have a machine that peeled the spuds and another that chipped the spuds.... and a peeling machine at the back. They'd tip the spuds into the peeler at the back, then bring them through a bucket at a time and tip them into the chipper, which dropped them into another bucket underneath, that was then picked up and dropped into the hot fat.

The chippy where I grew up was an old widow woman and her daughter, with a family friend who did the frying. The daughter went to Hong Kong and became a movie star (if you were into HK movies) ... although she was only in one proper/big movie it was enough to have been noticed and got a big fan following. Then she died (33 years ago now!), rumour on the street was Triads, but I've looked her up and wikipedia says suicide.... but it would say that even if it were triads :)
  • PasturesNew
    I only went into the kitchen for a coffee.... came out clutching a big bread roll filled with a salad tomato :)

I did think about boiling an egg to go in there too, but the effort/time was disproportionate to the difference it'd make.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I haven`t eaten chips for over two years, no tempting chippy anywhere near here and I don`t use potatoes for me, too much instant sugar in spuds and I am prone to putting weight on if I see a chip

Yesterdays meals were lovely and the casserole which ended up like a chunky soup was particularly wonderful. I had the last spelt flakes this morning with dried raspberries plus one slice of toast covered in a slice of emmental

I have one filo cookfood bundle left in the freezer, goats cheese and mushroom. It looks large but flattens when cut into, so I will do a medley of carrot, cabbage and caulie to go with it. I need to keep going with berries, good for heart and eyes and will add some yoghurt

I believe I will take one of the two frozen soup/casseroles out for last meal. It turned out suprisingly good and full of goodness but most of all was very satisfying. I shall also remove some fruit pie, I need to keep at the blackcurrants before the next lot ripen
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 9:18AM
    I "think" this is reassuring news to me - ie willpower levels (or otherwise) when confronted with food....:rotfl:

One benefit of my way of eating is I can't give way to "just eating" - as that's not the sort of food I have in my kitchen. So - genuine hunger in between meals will result in me grabbing something like toast, fruit, a handful of nuts - as that's basically all I have in that can be "just grabbed". Fortunately, that's not the sort of food that "calls my name" just because....

The reassuring (I think) aspect is that when I feel down I sometimes grab an alcoholic drink or two. I argue with myself that it's illogical - that I certainly don't need it and I don't even really want it - but sometimes it seems like the only way to belt "down feelings" quickly round the head. I think my willpower is getting stronger. It's either that or other people are causing less "hassle/downer incidents" (well - I've basically stopped having the local male tradespeople in for a start and that's removed a lot of downer feelings). So with the fact my neighbours-from-hell have been "behaving themselves" pretty much for a while now and I'm very rarely having workmen in - downer moods are a lot less frequent than they were. The reassuring element is thinking "Well I'm not the only one that has these downer moods - and then acts illogically because of them".

I still kick myself mentally at what might now be once or twice a week - where I might have a "downer mood" and head for a drink-or-two. The kicking myself being I don't understand why I'm acting so illogically and telling myself "I should never be so illogical as to act on downer feelings like that".

Roll on better weather - when a response to downer feelings can be something logical, eg "go for a walk" or (in this area) "go for a litter pick". Thankfully - there's been a lot of consciousness raising going on around here since I moved here and was horrified at the amount of litter here - and a noticeable number of people are now picking it up:D
  • PasturesNew
    Bit of a nippy one this morning!

No idea re food. The fridge has a large portion of stew in it, two sausage rolls and some languishing beans. They'll be the first things I head for. Whether I have a dumpling will depend whether I CBA at the time of reheating the stew.

Beans on toast would appear to be the best thing to cook for breakfast as the beans need using up and I've some bread in the freezer.... that might be served with scrambled eggs as I have plenty of eggs in.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    Dull but milder this morning, though we are back on snow alert this evening so to get chilly again.
    I had frozen HM chicken liver pate at Christmas so have defrosted a portion of that to have on toast before I head back to the Drs for a review.
    Last night's lasagne was lovely but boy did it make a lot. I have 3 portions left of the roasted veg, spinach and ricotta one as well as wee just roasted veg one (already frozen). That should cover my lasagne needs for a while.:)
    Lunch I think may well be scrambled eggs on toast (or LO garlic bread) as I'll want something quick when I get back.
    Tonight I'm going to deviate from my menu plan as I've a real notion for a giant yorkshire pudding filled with sausages & onion gravy, mushrooms and cabbage so I'll make the gratin tomorrow or over the weekend:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Frosty start here today, now clouded over in time for me to get dragged around the shops looking for SIL pressie, the highlight is likely to be a cuppa & summat to eat

Pot of loose leaf tea with ginger marmalade on toast for breakfast
    Lunch, no idea, depends on which cafe I finish up in

Dinner, must be another 1/4 of my C & O pie, it is a tasty one though, and I reckon it will be fine cold. Probably CBA to do much more to it than eat it on it's own
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    ...giant yorkshire ...

I love those. As I make meals I tag them up if they were my favourites and I tagged all my giants last year. The tagging is so I can quickly go back and remind myself of stuff I really enjoyed.

It's easy to have something that gives you a glorious glow - then move on and simply "forget" how great it is when you make it.

Years ago there was a carvery pub across the road from where I worked and 1-2x a month we'd pop over for a bar meal.... one of the bar meals on offer was a giant yorkie filled with items from the carvery section. They served it up, you didn't go get it ... although that'd make a great twist to carvery offerings wouldn't it ... to be given an empty big yorkie that you fill yourself ... although I can see how that could present logistical issues with storage space and anticipating demand at the kitchen management level.
  • PasturesNew
    Farway wrote: »
    ....1/4 of my C & O pie...

When I saw the photo I could see how it'd make me 6 portions - and that shape of dish wouldn't lend itself well to easy portioning it so the pieces were about the same size. That was one of my first thoughts.... but if you're cutting into 1/4s I can see how that'd be easier. But I'm very small so 1/4 would be too much :(

Small = 5' .... and ~8st10lbs or so (it wavers obviously)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback