Amazon faulty large TV return (Hermes!)

Bought an LG 43" LED TV from amazon (actual Amazon not a marketplace seller)
Arrived Friday by Hermes.
Opened it Saturday to find that its damaged. The frame has a bulge/crack in it. The box isn't damaged at all so it must be a factory/manufacturing fault.

Went on amazon to arrange an exchange. Dead simple. It gave me a Hermes returns label and said they'd be round next business day. It also separately ordered me a new TV.
So far so good.

Hermes came this morning. Took one look at the box and said "sorry thats too big, we can't take it" and drove off.

Got onto Amazon CS. After 5 mins on hold I'm told that I now have to arrange and pay for the return myself, after which if I email them the receipt they'll refund the postage costs.
I asked why Hermes didn't take it and was told "oh they don't take large or heavy things".
THEN WHY GIVE ME THE HERMES RETURNS LABEL AND BOOK THEM FOR ME ?!?!?!

So.. not impressed at all.

Now, for the past 10 mins I've been googling trying to find a courier that will take a TV with cover for £500. Up to now... can't find one!

What the hell do I do now?!?!

:mad:

Comments

• philatio wrote: »
    Insist that Amazon arrange an uplift of your item using a courier who will not refuse it. You should not have to arrange the return yourself, particularly as it arrived only a short time ago.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    philatio wrote: »
    Bought an LG 43" LED TV from amazon (actual Amazon not a marketplace seller)
    Arrived Friday by Hermes.
    Opened it Saturday to find that its damaged. The frame has a bulge/crack in it. The box isn't damaged at all so it must be a factory/manufacturing fault.

Went on amazon to arrange an exchange. Dead simple. It gave me a Hermes returns label and said they'd be round next business day. It also separately ordered me a new TV.
    So far so good.

Hermes came this morning. Took one look at the box and said "sorry thats too big, we can't take it" and drove off.

Got onto Amazon CS. After 5 mins on hold I'm told that I now have to arrange and pay for the return myself, after which if I email them the receipt they'll refund the postage costs.
    I asked why Hermes didn't take it and was told "oh they don't take large or heavy things".
    THEN WHY GIVE ME THE HERMES RETURNS LABEL AND BOOK THEM FOR ME ?!?!?!

So.. not impressed at all.

Now, for the past 10 mins I've been googling trying to find a courier that will take a TV with cover for £500. Up to now... can't find one!

:mad:

Ask Hermes how it was not too big for them to deliver it to you but too big for collection.you could not make it up.:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Ganga wrote: »
    Ask Hermes how it was not too big for them to deliver it to you but too big for collection.you could not make it up.:rotfl:
    The OP cannot ask Hermes anything since Amazon is their customer not the OP.

It seems likely that Hermes are prepared to deliver, but will not uplift, This is probably because they don't have time to check the condition of the item prior to uplift and there are lots of subsequent claims against them as the courier.
  • philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm utterly stumped now.

After much googling, people are saying the only courier that will take a large screen TV from a residential address is Parcelforce Large48.

That will cost me £60 and there's no mention on their site that they do allow TVs. TVs are listed as "excluded from compensation" on their FAQs.

I can't believe I'm the only person who's ever had to return a big TV to amazon. I'm bloody fuming!
  • Have you contacted Amazon again to see what they suggest? Far better to do that than to get wound up about it.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm amazed that Amazon use Hermes for large fragile items at all!

Our last tv was delivered by John Lewis in one of their own vans, and the two chappies unpacked it and checked it for us.

A classic case of getting what you pay for, I suppose.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2017 at 3:05PM
    Have you contacted Amazon again to see what they suggest? Far better to do that than to get wound up about it.
    Agreed, something doesn't quite sound right about this, I've never heard of Amazon refusing to uplift a TV, or any large item they've sold for that matter, before, particularly if it's faulty. Speak to them again making sure they understand that it's faulty and there responsibility to collect.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    I'm amazed that Amazon use Hermes for large fragile items at all!

Our last tv was delivered by John Lewis in one of their own vans, and the two chappies unpacked it and checked it for us.

A classic case of getting what you pay for, I suppose.
    JL don't always deliver items themselves you know.
  • philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    funnily enough, the last time I had to return something electrical.. last year, a camera.. it was supposed to go back Hermes. They never turned up and I had to get onto amazon. That time they arranged for DPD to come instead.
    Hermes must be bloody cheap. They're awful.

Anyway...
    Twice this morning I was onto Amazon and twice I was told that if Hermes can't pick up I have to sort it myself. "Since May this year, we don't use any other couriers for collections I'm afraid".
    Twice.

So after calming down a bit this afternoon I tried for a third time. Told them I'd tried every courier I can think of and none will move a large TV. What do they advise now?

Straight away.. they're now arranging for XPO to come and pick up tomorrow.

So great! but why the bloody hell not just do that in the first place?!?
    Grrrr!
  • Well this is turning into a farce now.

So today, obviously, XPO failed to turn up.

In addition, Hermes delivered the replacement TV.
    As he's putting it in the porch he notices the identical large TV box already in there.. waiting for XPO. Whats that all about? he asked.

I told him that it should have gone back yesterday but one of his colleagues refused to take it as it was too big. "Don't get that" says he. "I'd have taken it. I take back amazon return TVs all the time"

WTaF ?!?!?!?!?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport