Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,823Posts
    • 19,628Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of £340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only £10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 3
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 6:05 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Oh my goodness, do not seem to have stopped today!! So tired!

Right list from earlier:
    Pick apples before they all fall off! - not done, will do tomorrow
    Apply for CC - not done as can't remember log in, but found my card so will try and find enthusiasm to do later
    Apply for tax refund to go in bank - done
    Put clean washing away! Done, but goodness it took forever!!!!
    Wash bedding I washed my bedding, will do littlies tomorrow
    Change all beds - as above
    More washing!- done and put away.
    Tidy kitchen, it's so messy it's not even funnY - done, need to clean up dinner things now though!!!

Also:
    Tidied bathroom, need to clean, didn't get round to cleaning toilets will do tomorrow.
    Hoovered upstairs, didn't get round to doing downstairs.
    Tidied lounge
    reworked food shopping list
    Did quick cupboard/fridge inventory
    Bathed the small ones and tidied their bedrooms

Phew! Will update how food went in a minute!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 6:08 PM.
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 12th Aug 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 11,713 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    Wow - i'm exhausted by just reading your list.... well done on getting so much done
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 6:48 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey AlwaysHappy, Im tired reading my list lol.

This is more challenging than I first thought, and I have learned a lot even in the short space of time. Things that have become apparent already are:
    I have to really think about what we're eating and what I'm eating, I can't just grab a biscuit to snack on as it has been counted up to fit in the budget lol.
    I need to make cakes or snacks of some sort, as I'm ravenous in the afternoon and kept opening and shutting the cupboards looking for things to eat today.
    Not to set a strict meal plan, as todays has already changed! But as long it is in budget then it's all good!
    I need to do a good and proper inventory as I have lots more in than I even thought I did, just from my quick look today.
    To be flexible.... Roo wants to make leek and potato soup tomorrow! so need to fit leeks into the shopping list somewhere?!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 6:53 PM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I need to have a proper look in my fridge as I've got stuff that needs using that I don't want to through out at all but will need to be inventive! half a tin of sweet corn, old carrots, coconut cream, and sour cream to name but a few. But I have a plan for those, carrots and sour cream in soup, coconut cream in smoothies, and sweetcorn in burritos .

So its a NSD so far. may end up shopping tomorrow. Going to forgo my marmite to get leeks for Roo and his soup! So I think tomorrow will mostly be spent, making cakes, making jam and making soup! I'm so pleased I spent hours cleaning the kitchen today
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Aug 17, 7:03 PM
    • 5,063 Posts
    • 23,155 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    As for a strict meal plan - that didn't work for me either.

What I do is decide on 7 dinners, 7 lunches and breakfast with the kids.

Write the list and shop.

Then we have what we want out them 7 meals on the days it suits us. For instance 99% of the time Sunday is a roast, so Monday is usually something with the left overs (curry/wraps/salad or similar) Same for if we have mince, I use the leftover spag bol to make chilli/lasagne etc

I always make 'fridge' soup. Every week, all the sad looking veg etc and freeze in portions so it can be used for lunches.

I bake all snacks (Oat biscuits/cakes/flapjack is the standard weekly things)
    DFW £1388.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £511.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 7:06 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks Hidden, you're so organised! How random we both just posted on eachothers diaries at exactly the same time!!! Lol must be synchronised in organising thoughts lol. Or that we've both just put small ones to bed and we actually have a minute to read the diaries!
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Aug 17, 8:25 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Good Luck
    My hubby& I were in terrible debt but managed to get out of it and I am now trying to save instead! Not sure if Ive subscribed or not (new to this)but definitely routing for you!! Good luck xx
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 8:27 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi Lauren thanks for popping in! I feel like I'm getting somewhere with the house and being s bit organised and actually keeping track of money going out! Challenge will be when we actually go to aldi, to see if I can actually be disciplined enough to only spend £10!!
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Aug 17, 8:30 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    laurenh1
    A good tip is to deliberately make too much so you have leftovers! And make meat go as far as poss as its sooo expensive. We currently spend about 150 a month for 4 adults including nappies (for 2)formula toiletries etc not sure id make it on 10 a week with hub here
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 8:41 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    That's a great budget you do well to stick to it! OH would treble my budget with his hollow legs!

I have redone my shopping list for what feels like the hundredth time!

Version 4 or maybe 45, not sure lol, Anyway;

Bananas x 10 120
    Bread x 3 105
    Beans 23
    Carrots 42
    Passata 35
    Tomatoes 29
    Frozen Broccoli 89
    Sugar 59
    Milk 145
    Marg 69
    Porridge75
    Potatoes145
    Leeks 85

£10.20

Going to try and Eeek hair mousse out for another week, and am giving up marmite in aid for debt busting, and leek and potato soup lol. I decided on porridge too as I was so hungry yesterday I'm hoping I can make flapjacks or at the very least porridge to fill me up! Looking forward to making soup, especially eith small ones help.
    Last edited by missymoo81; 13-08-2017 at 2:46 AM.
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Aug 17, 9:02 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    laurenh1
    I think thats pretty impressive. I find I am much better if I gp armed with a list! It isn't for everyone but my local supermarket do some great reductions at the end of the day, but its hard getting the opportunity to go with littlies and no hubby about! Alsp a great budget recipe book is "a girl called Jack" I bet most recipes would be online xx
    • Spinney2
    • By Spinney2 12th Aug 17, 9:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Spinney2
    Sounds like your already on the right track! Keep up the hard work ������
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 12th Aug 17, 10:19 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Kittychick
    I find a meal plan really works for me, but I do a week's list for lunch and tea.. And leave a couple of blanks... Usually that will be something I've 'found' that week. I also often will write the main for each meal but not what's with depending on what I fancy that day, eg I'll have written 'sausage and veg' but not if it's with chips, or mash... Many times stuff is interchangeable and as the week goes on the options become less and choices clearer
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Aug 17, 2:07 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks spinney and kittychick. Yes meal planning is the way forward definitely, but just need to be more relaxed with what when! Ah can't sleep, this budgetting/debt busting is taking over my head
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Aug 17, 2:55 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    I think thats pretty impressive. I find I am much better if I gp armed with a list! It isn't for everyone but my local supermarket do some great reductions at the end of the day, but its hard getting the opportunity to go with littlies and no hubby about! Alsp a great budget recipe book is "a girl called Jack" I bet most recipes would be online xx
    Originally posted by laurenh1
    I have this book! It is amazing! Need to look through my books more, have so many recipe books.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day! Will post list when I actually go to sleep and wake in the morning!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 13-08-2017 at 7:37 AM.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 13th Aug 17, 3:01 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    My god missy you have me inspired now to spend less on food i live alone i go to tesco's every week i spend about 13-14 quid.

I have just found a receipt heres my last shopping list lol

Spinach 79p
    Kale £1.00
    Tomato juice x2 £1.30
    Jam 39p
    Milk 6 pints £1.48
    Cream Cheese 49p
    Lemons 70p
    Oats 75p
    Sugar 69p
    Bread x2 1.00
    Sweet potato 1.00

£9.59 i think if my maths is right then i buy 1.5 kg of chicken breast in the local butchers which costs a fiver.
    Debts 16125.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £164.10 Survey Earnings YTD £503.96
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Aug 17, 3:08 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey Scott Weiland. Glad to have inspired you!!! Your list and pricing looks great!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 13-08-2017 at 7:33 AM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Aug 17, 7:46 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    DAY 3

Day 3 in the Missy house!

Busy day ahead! Although some may slip in favour of playing with little ones! And I've got a free day tomorrow to do stuff.
    Clean out fridge
    Sort pears and store
    Go shopping with small ones in tow
    Make soup
    Make cakes
    Make rolls
    Make pizza bases
    Roast veg (trying to fill oven up!)
    Wash ironing pile as been in there ages and hopefully won't need ironing!
    Make jam
    eBay stuff
    Apply for CC - really need to do this!!!
    Clean all toilets and bathrooms
    Hoover downstairs and wash floor
    Try not to spend any money apart from shopping £10
    Clean cupboard doors
    Clean cooker top
    Clean outside of fridge
    Wash babies bedding
    Unload and reload DW
    Sort out mountains of fruit in fridge, have plums, pears, blackberries, cherries and apples!
    Dust EVERYWHERE!
    Sort toys and clothes for charity

Ok so list is far too long for a day, but will try and do as much a so can
    Last edited by missymoo81; 13-08-2017 at 8:15 AM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 13th Aug 17, 8:12 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,628 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Food today will be:

Breakfast toast and fruit
    Lunch soup and bread
    Dinner pizza
    (Subject to change lol)
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 13th Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 917 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Love a pizza night! Aldi pizzas are my fave! I make my own jam as well, I know I can get it cheaper but its nicer and I take my kids strawberry picking which keeps them busy for a few hours!! i think you're doing fab
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,552Posts Today

6,695Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin