Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 6th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    • 14,846Posts
    • 97,533Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50!
    • 6th Aug 17, 2:21 PM
    Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! 6th Aug 17 at 2:21 PM
    Hello folks - tis I, again. I've been on the boards for a goodly while now and learn new things on here everyday from the MSE angels here. Thank you all!

So I'm 50 soon and no idea how that happened and I've been making a wee list with the family. So, in order to push that final bit of debt finally away and let myself be free at 50, I've decided to make my number 1 thing on my list to be debt free by 50.

Current debt is at just under £6k (plus pesky student loan which is in hand), having been at almost £35k before I found you all, we all know MSE works, as does focus. So here I am.

The plan is as always to eat frugally, use YS and free food where we can and throw the extra at the cards and OD's where I can. Having just ditched the p/t job - I'm feeling a bit all at sea. I'm 500/month down and need to pull my socks up to make sure it doesn't feel so ouchy.

I've a f/t job as a gardener in a large old estate - so whilst the pay is uber-modest, I'm lucky enough that it is both secure, nurturing, and nourishing (for body and soul) as its beautiful but we also grow a lot of veg there! I can't complain - I teach, I grow and I am finding working full time really suits me, I'm super lucky I work in something I'm really really passionate about I know I'm so totally grateful for that part of my life. You see you study forever, but still a job sneaks up on you. Darn that gardening gene :P

So here's the 50 list. The plan is to do as many of these as frugally as possible whilst having as much fun and living as fully as possible. Yes, I'm trying to be THAT cheap date, so I need to do some planning and find cunning ways to get that list done as frugally as possible.

Fabulously Frugal and Free at 50! Lets do this.

1 – BE DEBT FREE
    2 – 50 random acts of kindness 2/50
    3 - Have a pedicure
    4 - Miso making - learn to make my own miso
    5 – Have at least ONE adventure each month, close or far away 1/12 done 2 more booked
    6 - Go to Iceland (like in real life not just for frozen food, or both or to a talk/exhibition)
    7 – Have a henna tattoo
    8 - Charity shop bonanza – every, last one in my county at least and/or go to as many as each place I visit next year?
    9 - Stay in St Andrews for a night
    10 - Grow groundnuts, sweet potatoes and some other exotic veg I’ve always wanted to
    11 - Visit a garden show
    12 – NHM with DS if possible or the whole family or a chum but GO!
    13 - Walk the local coastal path 112 milesmore bits done with EH
    14 - Design a garden for myself and make it
    15 – Keep a gratitude diary, like actively keep one started 12/10/17
    16 - Give blood
    17 - Go to a yoga retreat or just a class
    18 - Mocktails somewhere fabulous
    19 – Have a family photo taken
    20 – Grow a spice cupboard (ginger, turmeric, etc etc) why not tumeric planted
    21 – Have a ski lesson
    22 – Walk the Water of Leith
    23 – See a mentor speak
    24 – Have a ‘mate date’ once a month and find something ridiculous to do for free 1/12
    25 – Go to an online chum meet up and/or meet up with online chums 1/many I hope
    26 – Visit my favourite people at least once this year, no excuses 3 faves visited since this list.
    27 – Make a vegetarian meal at least once a week started 5/10/17
    28 – Print photos of the family and adventures and frame them
    29 – Make a new memory heart quilt – the kids each have one as does DH but not me
    30 – Float in the sea in a rubber ring with gay abandon
    31 – Restart my blog – I miss writing
    32 - Make a hat
    33 – Start a recipe book for myself
    34 – Make a proper pantry
    35 – Find somewhere to volunteer
    36 – Take a photo every day for a year to capture something special
    37 – Try a dance class or Zumba
    38 – Try an alternative therapy
    39 – Wear a beautiful frock to an event
    40 – Have afternoon tea in the garden with a friend
    41 – Have singing lesson or join a local choir
    42 - BBQ on the beach
    43 – At least one trip with us all and one weekend with us all at home, or just ONE night
    44 – Go to a costume party
    45 – Grow as much of my own food and cordial as I can
    46 – Get chickens (again)
    47 – Eat at some crazy hidden restaurants for as frugal as possible
    48 – Have a picnic
    49 – Take a long train journey
    50 – Have a really good haircut or change the style, why not

Let the fabulous frugal games begin.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 07-11-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40
    :
Page 2
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 7th Aug 17, 8:03 AM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    So morning lands

Went to a jam with TRG {The Rock God} last night, was fun, and free.

TOIL day today as I worked the weekend, still finding it odd that you get paid time off and holidays - not quite made the mental switch from self employed to employed yet.

List for today to push toward debt free half centenary.

Make a budget
    Set up one of online accounts as petrol account - that gives me my two main spends with budgets grub and petrol
    Forage through fridge and tidy it up, freeze or cook anything looking like it might pass out
    Check banks
    Gently remind DS that he's not paid anything towards my cards (loan to him) since May
    Harvest rasps (again)
    Have a think and a wee stoory {look} round to see what's lurking in sheds and alike that might be sold (thanks LT) to help pay off the debt sooner.

We need a few toiletries, so might hit a £1 shop later for some supplies.
    We also need some fruit - himself is getting a bit sick of rasps for the now - will freeze those for a bit.

Grass also needs cut but its sunny/soggy will see if I can get to that later. I'm pondering a rethink of my own garden might get the crayons out later and have a bash at a rethink - digging a pond (27 wheelbarrows into a 100+ excavation) and I've oodles of plants to move. Been told I can use the prop benches at work so that's maybe another debt clearing option. Baby plants, but I'm mindful I have limited time.

Speaking of time - kettle is a boiling.

Have a good one I'm off to make a cuppa and check out banks and try and do a budget.
    Last edited by Pippilongstocking; 07-08-2017 at 5:32 PM.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    :
    • cazmanian_minx
    • By cazmanian_minx 7th Aug 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4,011 Posts
    • 18,475 Thanks
    cazmanian_minx
    Great list - happy new thread!
    Home: 06/08: £145,145.00 Currently: £114,428.66 Offset: £51,337.84 Amount paid off: £30,716.34 (21.2%) Paying interest on: £63,090.82
    Holiday let:
    02/17: £177,416.86 (Family loan: £129,146.86 + 0% cards £48,270.00) Currently: £169,836.86 Amount paid off: £7,580.00 (4.22%)
    Sugar days 2017: 17/26 Debt-free: 17/02/2017
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 7th Aug 17, 5:38 PM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey Caz thank you.

Well its been a gorgeous day here and I've managed to persuade himself to adverturise at home so we've been to a local huge nature reserve forest/beach and actually even been in the sea - managed to get him a 7.5 mile walk and we feasted on coffee and crepes in the sunshine of the forest. All hoomans and mutts now pretty pooped.

Popped into local town on way home which was heaving on a Monday? I dont' know why the open finished yesterday so maybe its a wee bit of that?

Reduced lamb mince, reduced crumpets and some low cost fruit flat peaches, melon and some apples all for under 70p all good.

The rest of the reductions were not as far as I can reduced down far enough - so aside a wee treat for himself (icecream) and some tinned fruit and a wee splash out on ginger beer for me, one or two toiletries ofr me - nothing much to report. £9 spent

Will move that out of the grocery pot and bank into the bank.

Was a lovely day and a great catch up. I've still got the grass to cut but its not going anywhere.

Evening plans of budgets - just going to start on that and sort the fridge/make lunches for the next few days.

Chinks a glass of ginger beer. Hope everyone's day has been good.
    :
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 7th Aug 17, 6:09 PM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Well according to the budget tool on here I have an extra £527/month after I've deducted my 'I think this is what I spend' costs.

Clearly that's not happenning - so I'm looking at budget tracking my spends this month and for the next wee while to fathom why I'm still in both OD's and have a fair bit on the cards.

On the positive the extra is enticing if it is indeed extra. I think I'm clearly spending more on frippery than I'd like to admit to. I know I do skoot out and about a lot and def treat dd and myself to more impromptu lunches than I'd care to admit to.

Then there's the charity shop habit.

We'll see off to investigate budget spend tracking tools I know cheery uses YNAB - might start there.

In other exciting news DD has arrived in NZ and is now slumbering. I do like it when all is well after travel.

Steps at 20867 - should get nearer 25k by the time the grass is done. Its true I have no fitbit friends (other trackers are available) my bf tells me to take it off for a day or too or she'll unfriend me.

not my fault I'm on my feet all day at work.

Right that grass won't cut itself - I'll do a PAD to a card later and see if I can fathom a quick app for tracking spends, clearly something is amock.
    :
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 7th Aug 17, 7:39 PM
    • 9,463 Posts
    • 31,240 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    i have a similar outcome when I do a SOA Pippi, it says we have £300 left over (after deducting my forthcoming pay cut) and there's no way we're seeing any of it. It's all being spent in the supermarket and on the 'it only cost a couple of quid' things. At least this month we've started slower on the spending which is good.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 7th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,016 Posts
    • 12,498 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Happy New Diary Dahling!

Your list is fabby - am particularly liking 24, 25, 39 & 49!

Now to scroll back and read the rest of the two pages of posts!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 7th Aug 17, 8:07 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    fannyadams
    Crikey, I turn my back and blink and she's got a shiny new diary.
    <subscribes and heads off to lurkdom, but not before snaffling a piece of cake out the tin>
    FA
    xx
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • starnac
    • By starnac 8th Aug 17, 3:42 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 24,165 Thanks
    starnac
    Hey Pippi. You moved

I'm loving the 50 list. Hope we can feature in there somewhere, maybe 25 or 26 Bit cheeky asking for no26 I know

You are amazing when you focus. You wear me out just reading about your adventures most days. It seems strange you not having chickens. Bet it doesn't seem the same does it?

DS was very impressed at the video of TRG. He can't wait to show him his skills on the drums now

Anyway, must dash, I have a lot of housework to catch up on. Just wanted to say I've subscribed and look forward to reading
    I need a new signature!
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 8th Aug 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I found using my card my money filtered through without being detected.
    I tried ynab (more than once ) I still can't get my head round it.

Now I draw out in cash every week that weeks budget for what I think I should be spending (Ie groceries/kids school etc) and leave my cards at home. I can't be tempted then If I spend online I take it out of the 'cash' for this week and use it towards next week (so draw less out)

Hope this makes sense I think I've made it sound complicated but it isnt
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 8th Aug 17, 7:44 PM
    • 9,463 Posts
    • 31,240 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    HI I find my money fritters regardless of whether its on a card or in cash. We have £80 per month cash each for anything we want to spend it on, and I certainly feel I spend it on stuff I wouldn't have spent it on previously when I was on here.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 8th Aug 17, 7:49 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,461 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    HI I find my money fritters regardless of whether its on a card or in cash. We have £80 per month cash each for anything we want to spend it on, and I certainly feel I spend it on stuff I wouldn't have spent it on previously when I was on here.
    Originally posted by Lemon Tree
    See with my card I'm terrible for £2 here and there/using contactless. Where as if I have a 'note' I think twice before breaking into it for a packet of sweets the kids are mithering for, or a coffee on the go etc.

I think I find weekly so much easier too. When we did monthly I'd run out of 'spends' before half way through the month
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 8th Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    • 9,463 Posts
    • 31,240 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    HI i have to budget monthly, I'm paid monthly so I can't get my head around it any other way. if I was to try and take my money weekly i'd be tempted to take more, though as we have a cash till on the premises at work I may have a think about trying it next month, though I would be scuppered when it's out of money which happens occasionally as we're not near the bank.
    • MessyMare
    • By MessyMare 10th Aug 17, 6:43 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 4,028 Thanks
    MessyMare
    Following along from lurkdom can fully recommend YNAB though! It found me more than the cost of the annual subscription fee the first month alone
    DEBT: £1972.84/£76843
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #? £0/£2435.78
    EMERGENCY FUND: £950/£1000
    Our greatest weakness lies in giving up; always try just one more time
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Aug 17, 7:41 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Love the list................

Something people of all ages should have me thinks.

Last year I ticked off kayaking with the seals in Pembrokeshire.
    Another one was walking a older family friends Beagle. Now that one was inexpensive. ;-]

I joined a social club a while back.........best thing the wife and I ever did. Lots of taster events but no commitment.

Spice social.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 10th Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Good morning fine people - lovely to have visitors and great to see you all here.

Starnac you would feature in both of those and potentially a few more I hope

LT and HI - I'm the same whether its cards or cash - I only take my bank card to work but I need petrol locally and its only card (unmanned) I *could* leave it behind I guess if I'm organised about petrol.

Messymare nice to see you too and I'll have a peek - I know cheery uses it.

RT and FA - thanks for the welcomes and don't be strangers

Well, the 'tinternet is beyond shocking here - I might not need much but its beyond me how bad it is and how often I've complained to the BleepTrouble folks to no avail.

scd3scd4 - thanks one to think about and I do love a good wee taster event - there's lots of food events round these parts might look into that - thank you. Love the idea of walking a beagle - absolutely terrified of kayaks tho....love seals

Argh. ETA had to go into work and post thing blargh.

Much appreciate the visitors very much!
    :
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 10th Aug 17, 8:36 AM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    I found using my card my money filtered through without being detected.
    I tried ynab (more than once ) I still can't get my head round it.

Now I draw out in cash every week that weeks budget for what I think I should be spending (Ie groceries/kids school etc) and leave my cards at home. I can't be tempted then If I spend online I take it out of the 'cash' for this week and use it towards next week (so draw less out)

Hope this makes sense I think I've made it sound complicated but it isnt
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Thanks for that certainly one to think about - I just don't use cash, so you're right its easy to just bleep the little contactless thing willy-nilly - and I'm very guitly of that. Been doing a lot of eating out lately - despite groaning cupboards - which has lead to pocket depletion and an odd inverse correlation with an increased waist size.

I'm using an eating app to log calories and that's certainly helping to reduce random food scoffing treat spending. Lost 3lbs since too so perhaps there is an inverse relationshiop there to watch closely.

Originally posted by Lemon Tree
    We don't set an amount for personal spends - maybe I should? Another one to ponder thank you.
    :
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 10th Aug 17, 8:55 AM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    So the past few days have disappeared into a sea of weeding and walking - steps doing good I'm averaging 19k steps a day - but like to get that to a consistent 20k - weekends aren't easy for me as I don't appear to move as much as I do at work. I'm telling myself this is MSE because its free exercise.

I've chased up my womble invoice as its the last one be nice if that's paid quickly. I'm loving the time off means I can be here and just do things I want to do rather than resenting the extra work - sad that I feel like that - but after 9 years I didn't even get a 'cheerio and thank you email' - seems a bit thoughtless if you ask me. I'll miss my colleagues but not my new boss that's for sure.

Credit card 1 had the monthly payment off so its reduced by 68.37 - might look at the balance and do a pAD to loose the odds and sods bit. Was at 934.55 - PAD of 34.55 has this down at 900 now. Woop.

Credit card 2 - sitting at the same I've only 25 of my OD left in that account so no payments made yet.

No more spends on grub or petrol so those are just dandy as they are although I'll need petrol soon.

Pork out for tea although it sounds like himself might be biking and I might be walking so that might have to wait for Friday - was doing sweet and sour - no harm done. We'll have something each from the freezer - there's a pizza in for himself and I'll maybe have cauli cheese. All good.

Do need to get dug fud later - will do coup on the way home and use the balance on my co-card - think its at about £6.70 more than enough for mutt food so should be a NSD.

Woop woop.

All fabulous in the lands of debt reduction.

There are plums at work which have gone from not ripe (monday) to overripe (today) - well almost so I might see about getting some to make nigels chinese plum sauce it was EPIC last year and kept really well - much better than shop bought.

Plans to clear the back room and make a larder have ground to a halt - must resurrect them if I'm to make my own body weight in plum sauce.

Have a great day moneysavers.
    :
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Aug 17, 9:08 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,584 Thanks
    redofromstart
    That plum sauce looks good, must nip up and see if our plums have ripened since the weekend.
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 11th Aug 17, 8:07 AM
    • 14,846 Posts
    • 97,533 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Morning lands RFS its a gorgeous sauce I promise. Must get some plums today. Well reminded thank you.

Well yesterday was a NSD and a chase up a few things kind of day. I also helped to plant 200 leeks and 15 courgettes - all good for future foraging opportunities.

Harvest day today at work so probably take a few waifs and strays home with me. Chased up invoice and lady who can pay it is off for two weeks so we'll wait a wee while for that one I guess.

Raining here so probably spend most of day hiding in glass house if it doesn't abate although yesterday was glorious so can't really complain.

Made a bit of progress in my own garden, which usually I'm locked out of in august due to crazy crazy bugs but I'm head to toe in deet (horrible but needs be) and compared to the hundreds of bites I had last year I have 3. So it works, but its expensive wonder if I can ask the Dr for a script? Although seems a bit churlish as its my choice to work outside.

Money wise I have about 900 of one o'd left and 25 quid of the other. Really need to make a proactive plan to get those down gradually. Means going into branch as I can't do it online. Part of me is loathe to get rid of them as they're a wee cushion. Ponders.

Trying to get a wee trip down south next week must look at TOIL and holidays I have left - have a meeting I forgot about which is annoying - trying to rearrange.

Meal plan when to the moon yesterday as both of our plans fell through. I made a cabbage and mung bean dahl - which was v tasty just as we decided that a chinese would just be marvellous............. £12 (Treat) later the dahl is now in the fridge.

Todays MSE plans are to work hard, take the worst of the plums for sauce and see what veg I can buy from work.

Need to buy dog fud and vinegar for said plum sauce.

Making progress on no 10 on the list - I bought some turmeric root from the chinese supermarket so I'll read up on growing that today and plant some.

Steps yesterday 21k happy with that just need keep that momentum up over the weekend.

Happy money saving day people.

XOXO
    :
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Aug 17, 9:17 AM
    • 7,847 Posts
    • 37,936 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Pah to not getting a cheerio email Pippi, most vexing. I think bosses are sometimes just rubbish at that - when I left one job my boss announced at my leaving speech thing 'you'll be crawling back here in no time' (er, no), and Mr Cheery's boss said something along the lines of 'you've been an interesting character' - no 'thank you', 'it's been great' or anything

Slam the door and don't look back I say!

A giant courgette has appeared in our kitchen No idea where from, must have been the courgette fairies

Trying to channel you as I plot and scheme for our giant new garden Got many outbuildings but no greenhouse or polytunnel - might have to rectify that
    Saved for house move: £16,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,411Posts Today

6,309Users online

Martin's Twitter