Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,771Posts
    • 8,046Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 01-02-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/July 2017=7,500
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 80
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Aug 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Doing good DIA

I must get back into gym this week and knock the s*** out of the bags again... and myself too
    A good workout for body and soul
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Thanks Uncanny Scot. Sometimes I think exercise has a more powerful effect on my mind and soul than my body!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 10th Aug 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Good luck with your gym goals DIA! I always try to get back into running but it's just too hard to fit it into my life right now and I much more value my down time at the end of the day rather than heading out for a run at 9pm...then shower...then straight to bed. Once my crazy couple of months are over, maybe making time for exercise will be easier.

You're right, though, it's great for the mind enjoy!
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Aug 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    scrambled eggs experiment
    Good luck with your gym goals DIA! I always try to get back into running but it's just too hard to fit it into my life right now
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Yes but you have 2 little people to take care of and a full-time job and no pending health issues. I on the other hand have a scary BMI, illness knocking on my door to be let in and no little people to take care of so I should be able to find the time

TODAY
    I returned an item I should have got £16 for but as I had left it for 4 months I got the sale price of £10. I attempted to argue my case but half-heartedly as it was 4 months of saying I will return this. I didn’t like it enough to start with but thought it ‘would do’ but it did not

I sent off my pay claim form for my other job and posted it

I sent off the claim for the £8 owed to me

I printed off PPI application forms and read PPI info. I will get the addresses to write to see if the organisations I had loans/credit cards with have PPI on them next week.

Ate BADLY today. Really BADLY. I need to get to IK£A so I can start prepping. My favourite, most sustaining breakfast is scrambled eggs. I am going to trial a food flask for eggs next week.

A late night coming up again, although it has to be said, last night I had 8 hours sleep instead of 6 and I felt so much better all day

I trialled a rucksack after being a 4 bag lady yesterday. It worked. Also more comfortable on my neck

I hope you all had positive days out there
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Aug 17, 6:45 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    boringly good day
    It is dry and sunny for my WFH today Rain is expected this afternoon but for now the weather is bright and lovely…

Household tasks
    Washing-Up X4
    Ironing done and packed away
    Ironing board decluttered and packed away (first time in weeks)!
    Washing done and drying

Food prep
    Chicken pot cooked and cooled and now in fridge
    Grated courgette and beetroot for fridge
    Stock taken out the freezer for future soup

Decluttering
    Flowers dumped (they were ugly)
    Glasses in charity shop bag
    Placemat/Plastic wallet/
    Old nightie, now cleaning rags

After work I went to IK3A and got the glass stacking dishes the personal trainer recommended. I also bought an open mouth food flask for either scrambled eggs or hot porridge for away from from home breakfasts.

My kit was washed today, so later this evening I will book an exercise class for after work tomorrow.

A good productive day for me

I hope you had a good day too reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Aug 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    today was a bit tough
    I WFH today.

I did some clothes washing and tackled dishes X4.
    I made some mini meatballs… but then I’ve eaten them all
    I chopped yellow and green peppers to keep in the fridge

My mood was low today

It feels like there are so many things I need to do and buy and life is passing me by. I feel impatient that I still have debt and I can’t sort out the house or have a shower at home or buy cream eyeshadow from Chanel and order organic veggies in from a food box scheme. I get fed up with YS hunting.

I went out after work to find a hair and shower wash for my gym bag. I still need flip flops, a wash bag and other bits of kit...

I went to a store and tried out the new Chanel cream eyeshadow and it suits me so well. It looked like sheer tights for my eyelids, but it cost £25 and this month after buying a phone outright I don’t have the money

I did not exercise tonight, preferring to stay in and feel sorry for myself. If I go tomorrow I still meet the goals I set at the beginning of the week.

My eyebrows are a state too

I hope you had a better day than I did.

Edited to find something positive...
    --There might be shooting stars tonight
    --It did not rain so my coat was washed and dried
    --A friend bought me ticket to an event at the end of September. I offered to pay, but she wanted to treat me
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-08-2017 at 9:18 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 46,799 Posts
    • 167,171 Thanks
    beanielou
    On the positive side you only have about 4 months to go
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Aug 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I appreciate the positivity Beanielou, although to pay off £7,500 in 4 months I would need a payment of £1,875 per month. In 6 months? I would need £1,250, I don't have either sum monthly. So, I still have have some way to go.

I am concentrating on exercise today to lift my mood

Have a good Sunday everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Aug 17, 8:53 AM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 25,272 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Ok so you had the money to pay for the September event. Ring fence it. Work out what if anything you need to add to it to get the eyeshadow. Divide by four and squirrel away each week. If after 4 weeks, you've hit your weekly gym target, buy it. Just make sure it's from somewhere that gives you points! When I was in serious debt and struggling! I tried to do without perfume. It really brought me down. We are here to live not just exist. So, get a strategy to get the eYeshadow. TheN everytimE you apply it, you can recognise your achievements.
    Last edited by in need of direction; 13-08-2017 at 9:08 AM.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    Current weight loss 1/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Aug 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Such a helpful post INOD

I will do exactly what you suggest after my 4 weekly target is achieved.

Thank you.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Aug 17, 9:09 AM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 25,272 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Here's a random question for you. Do you have funky wellies?
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £81,750.18, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £3,975.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Aug 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wellies yes. Funky? Debatable...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th Aug 17, 9:37 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 13,288 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You are doing fab DIA. We all need down days so we bounce back and kick butt.

Soon you will be done with debt and have so much freedom. You keep me going.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Aug 17, 10:11 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You are doing fab DIA. We all need down days so we bounce back and kick butt.

Soon you will be done with debt and have so much freedom. You keep me going.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    And you keep me going
    ...Done with Debt ' might be my new diary name when I start a new diary post debt
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Aug 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    a little less moany
    GOALS for this week
    Financially fit in the future
    Return items to 2 shops to get £41 back I got back £35
    Frog of the week
    Send PPI letter to bank regarding my mortgage.went through all statements and I never had it ever
    Treat of the week
    Meeting a friend after work for a catch-up Friend cancelled and I didn't do a nice thing
    Investment in health and well being goal
    1 x swim and steam session treadmill and shower instead
    1 x 1 hour health tests and nutrition appointment
    Written correspondence of the week
    Download a pay claim form, complete and send in.
    Send off receipt and claim form for £8
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I did well with my goals this week

Today

I went to Mooji. I love that shop. I needed little containers for gym toiletries so I am not lugging full sized products around. I bought a wash bag that has a little hanger and lots of compartments. I plan to keep this topped up so it can double up as a ready made travel bag too.

I bought some right angle socks that are so comfortable. I will buy these in future. I needed a T shirt for the gym and found one for a fiver on sale in Un1quo, another great shop.

The gym and the sunshine did me good. I am still getting used to exercise so I did 30 minutes on the cross trainer. I will do the same tomorrow but it take up a level. I see the personal trainer tomorrow and a 12 week programme will be drawn up. Loved the shower. I still do not have flip flops for the shower so fingers crossed I do not get a verruca!

I am still adjusting re the gym. I noticed I can use my new phone’s headset to listen to the TV screens. It’s tempting to listen think I will be able to watch a nice, big TV as I sweat.

I had eggs and beans for breakfast and this took me all the way through to 4.30pm when I ate salmon and veggies and quinoa.

I am eating chocolate but it is a 70% dark 35g bar.

I hope you had a good day reader

Off to create my new week's goals...
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 13-08-2017 at 6:04 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Aug 17, 9:21 PM
    • 3,191 Posts
    • 8,148 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    All sounding good DIA

I think I have a hanging travel bag like the one you mentioned - it's really good. I also like their jewellery boxes and hangers and... and... I love that shop

Rosa xx
    Save
    Proud to be dealing have dealt with my debts - DEBT FREE May 2016
    DFW Diary - Balancing not just the budget
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4398229
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Aug 17, 8:12 AM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    new goals
    Morning Campers!

Wishing you all a positive week

Goals for this week

Financially fit in the future
    Chase additional payment from teaching
    Make a list of any loans or cards over the past 20 years to check PPI
    Find out about paying backdated NI contributions for the years I was self employed as this will be abolished in April 2018

Investment in health and wellbeing
    4 x 45 minute fitness sessions
    Eat a hot egg based breakfast every day
    Get hospital tests done
    Make a GP appointment and book time off from work to attend

Written correspondence of the week
    Send out 3 ‘have I ever had PPI with you?’ letters

Frog of the week
    Get the steam cleaner out and clean floors and washing machine rubber bits.
    Clean under the sink cupboard
    Tackle the garden (do at least 4 hours)

Treat of the week
    Kew Gardens for the afternoon with a friend

Have a lovely day
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 14-08-2017 at 9:10 AM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Aug 17, 8:28 AM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 25,272 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Looks like a well balanced list.
    Progress not perfection.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th Aug 17, 9:21 AM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Your lists put me to shame, DIA! They're very organised and very balanced - getting sh!t done but enjoying yourself at the same time. i wish you well with your list for this week

How are you finding the gym and building it into your weekly routine?
    CC1: 3,774.32/4,200 | CC2: 5,077/5,393 | Loan: 7,430/15,000
    Total: 16,292.57/20,032 Paid since Feb17: 3,739 or 18.66%

Mummy of two boys - Working hard to make better financial choices!
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Aug 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 8,046 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    moving more
    How are you finding the gym and building it into your weekly routine?
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    JoJo, I don’t find fitting in the gym easy at all but I am hoping it soon becomes part of my routine and this will change. So far, instead of evenings where I watch TV and relax I now go to the gym and exercise instead. If I'm lucky I am home for 9 and watch a bit of telly and wind down

After a day of walking around with my gym bag and water I have decided not to try and gym on a working, or on out and about days. If I stick to WFH days and days I don’t work that gives me 4 days a week of exercise and I will hit my target.

I still do not have the following key items and I have run out of money so they will have to wait for payday:-

flipflops
    swimming costume
    swimming hat

I could also do with a second gym kit as washing and drying outside will not be an option when the weather changes.

Today is a WFH day

Tasks
    Washing done and drying outside
    Washing up X1X1X1
    Clean and bleach kitchen side board
    Clean cooker hob

Off to the gym tonight. I ate my main meal at lunchtime so packing apples and a flask of nice tea to have after my gym session. I will come home, do teeth and watch Trust Me on the telly. It is rubbish but good rubbish. Planning on falling asleep straight after.

I hope your day went well reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 15th Aug 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 13,288 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm so impressed by the gym visits. It's something I could never into. Four days a week sounds a sensible amount of exercise, giving you time to recover.
    Debts as of 08/07/17 Credit cards £7811 majority on 0%. Car loan £1500 my half. Mortgage £36272 remaining balance (10 yrs 2 mnths remaining - i think not). Emergency fund £500/500
    GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,463Posts Today

8,712Users online

Martin's Twitter