Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 2,216Posts
    • 10,255Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 27-11-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/November 2017=3,475
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 2
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jan 16, 3:44 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wow, itís cold today. It will be nice working at home 2 days a week of course, but heating has been on since early this morning. Actually, Iím turning off the central heating and will heat the room Iím in with a little individual heaterÖ

My brain must have been euphoric yesterday about my cups as I didnít save £70 at all. I only have 2 cups, not 4, so they would have cost £39, so I saved £31, although my focus should be on what I spent not what I saved, I get thatÖ

Thinking of not getting a train to work on the 3 days I need to be in the office. My job is so sedentary itís scary. I could walk and get the bus and walk at the other end. It would take longer but I would get a seat all the way and I could leave earlier, take a flask of coffee with me then read, which is one of my goals. I would end up walking 3 miles each way which is good for my exercise goal. I would save £12 a week if I did it each time, so I think Iíll give it a go at least 1/3 of the week to start and try and up it. Iím getting a fitbit come pay day (the cheapest one) so I will not be tempted by gyms and their ridiculous costs but not get around to using it, like I did last yearÖ

Kitchen sink blocked!!! This is a disaster as I already canít use my upstairs sink due to a busted pipe, so I need the downstairs sink!!!

THINGS I HAVE DONE TODAY/STEPS TOWARDS MY GOALS

I applied for a grant today to do something creative. If I get it, I will get 70% off the bursary. Itís somewhere very beautiful so it will be a holiday tooÖ

I made some stock today from frozen Christmas turkey giblets, so will be able to make lots of lovely soup

Recycled papers ready to take to work for shredding

Decluttered cutlery and placemats and took to the charity shop (as itís next to where my book group takes place) Doing Konmari and they were not joyful to me.

Checked the price on some boots that are 20% off but itís nearly February so waiting until they reduce them more!! They are still £132. There is also a hot water bottle thatís half price, but thatís still £17.50 so waiting until it is below £10 or they can keep it!!

Signed up for my once a month voluntary work for the next 3 months

Off to buy a plunger to unblock the sink. Iím starting to think the house doesnít like me this weekÖ
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jan 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    OK, quick update.

I went to my book group and it was okay, not brilliant, but I'm kind of letting go of outcomes and trying to just do what I said I would do and I have. I've also read a book I wouldn't usually have.

I didn't declutter the stuff as charity shop was closed

I got the stuff to unblock the sink and it worked. My sink is now unblocked.

I want tomorrow to be about getting leads for an electrician and a plumber...

Bye, bye reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Jan 16, 8:00 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Today has been a bit rubbish. I haven't taken any steps to find an electrician or a plumber. Tackling the house is going to be more difficult than I expected. My new plan is to tackle the things that are hardest first thing in the morning. There's a writer who calls doing hard things 'eating frogs' and I guess I find it easiest to eat frogs as early in the day as possible. The more time I have to think about things I don't want to do the more difficult it becomes. I feel like a wimp, but workmen stress me out...

I also checked my loan balance and it's actually £1,783 more than I estimated.

Tomorrow will be better. I'll make sure it is.

I hope your day was a good one reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Jan 16, 9:06 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,263 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps are the way forward
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 22nd Jan 16, 12:10 AM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    I would have bought the cups too

I feel your pain about the workmen. I hate dealing with them. Have you got anyone that could be with you when they come round to quote?

Where I live, there's a Trade Register whereby if people are listed, they're a bit more reliable and are checked (I think) so they tend to be better or less risky than employing some random cowboy. Maybe there's one in your area?

Get them frogs eaten tomorrow, I'm sure you'll feel better.......ribbit
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Sept - £900
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £327.26
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jan 16, 10:55 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    frogs eaten
    Thank you beanilou I have to try and remember that. I hope you are feeling better this morning

And thank you Orange Ena It's not so much when they quote that I need someone here. I do thorough research so they can't fool me. I just can't bear being patronised. I don't like the feeling they are taking over my home. Once they start the job, they work during the day when all the people I know are at work so I can't have anyone here with me. I can't bear the disruption either and them looking down at me because the house is in such a state

On the positive side, this time I've looked for sole traders and checked they do all the work from start to finish as I've found they often siphon off the work whilst they do something else. This was the case with my fencing and there were 3 of them in the end and 1 was a bit mouthy. I hated it...although the job done was a good one and I felt good after (have to try and remember that feeling)

So, I have a plumber coming on Saturday who I've use before. He did a great job at an excellent price, but was patronising and nicked some copper pipes from the job (I didn't want them anyway, although I know they're worth a few pounds) I don't think I'll use him but I want to get a quote to compare with another plumber who I'm thinking of using. This other plumber is coming next week to fix the leak outside and quote on the bathroom redo. I spoke to him and got a good vibe and he has excellent feedback. So, we'll see...

I'm pleased with myself so far today. It's a life lesson --I need to eat my frogs first thing in the morning Now, the task is not to get so panicked that I cancel all the appointments and curl up on the sofa with some tea and a bar of chocolate...And that's where my name comes from, because I have to deal the fear but do it anyway
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 22nd Jan 16, 11:24 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello Doingitanyway. I agree with eating those frogs first thing. Then you're onto a good day! Maybe try to coat them in some chocolate first too!

You have a great philosophy on ignoring how you feel and pushing through. I definitely relate to that. My house is a bit of a project now too, but you have to also remember the positives in that you have your own place, you are self sufficient and you do all that while also dealing with what other things life throws at you. When you feel patronised by them, just remember that the chances are they have a lovely person at home taking on at least half the home chores with them.

Good luck with your frogs. MTx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jan 16, 11:41 AM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Muffintops, it's nice when someone 'get's it'
    Chocolate coated frogs sound like a Heston Blumenthal invention I intend to keep eating them....
    You are right. I can be hard on myself and I've been through a lot and struggled, so I am proud that I have my own home and lots of options open to me. I have friends looking for a mortgage to get on the housing ladder and I will be MF this year I must remember that and balance it against all the negative stuff...
    Oh, and the house isn't a state because of cleaning (although I can be rubbish with that sometimes) no, it's in a state because jobs need doing and I lack so may things, like a bathroom I'm happy for people to see!! but I'm working on those things...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jan 16, 5:31 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Friday goals update
    Good day continues, although not working today so it should be productive, so donít know why I am showing offÖ

I washed up and packed away 5 x s óthat should tell you something about the state of my kitchen when I went to bed, when I am down my house reflects my state of mood.

I ate healthily and at the right times

I updated my online shop óI canít wait to press submit on pay day!

I currently pay 6% on my loan and there is no early exit fee. I could approach my own bank who are offering 3.4%. Iíve read the terms and conditions and I can overpay so, if successful Iíll set up for £250 a month from February or March ówhenever the new pay kicks in, and overpay like crazy. Will need to check set-up fees but that might be a way forwardÖ

I checked the things I want to buy and hot water bottle was £35 and then £17.50 and now £15.35. One design has gone altogether, but I have a hot water bottle so willing to let it go if it doesnít fall below £12?? I might weaken as it is pure new wool, but itís still just a hot water bottle right?? Boots £189, then £157, now £119. I want/need them to go lower, but Iím ready to lose them altogether if they donít, as itíll be Spring soonÖ

Decided to get a travel pass for the month whilst Iím starting an extra 2 days a week, just to give myself a break and reduce stress to start with. Then in February think of starting walking regime to save money. Iíll still get my fitbit and walk moreÖ

Goals for week 18-24th January 2016

Financial:
    .Check whether I need to do a SA form checked and don't need to Yay
    .Explore a good account for paying bills from l[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]ooked at Halifax but haven't checked out nationwide[/COLOR]
    .Make a decision re YNAB I[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"] might need it but not until the new salary kick in. Still unsure?[/COLOR]

Health
    .Swim this week x1 [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Big, fat fail, try again next week[/COLOR]

House
    .Draw up a shortlist of 5 contractors to get quotes to decorate spare room [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Nope, I prioritised the plumbing as pipe leak discovered but I did arrange for this to be fixed next week and I have 2 people coming to quote on the bathroom[/COLOR]

Giving
    .Sign up for kitchen duty [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yes, I did this for the next 3 months[/COLOR]

Social/relationships
    .visit friend in hospital or at home [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]No, sadly I didn't[/COLOR]
    .ask other friend if she wants to go to cinema (after pay day) [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yep, I did this but may need to defer actual outing as I have loads to do on that day[/COLOR]

Declutter
    .Find 2 books to give to Oxfam[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Fail, try again next week[/COLOR]
    .photograph china and do an ad to sell [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Fail, try again next week [/COLOR]

Creativity
    .Spend 4 hours editing SS [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Fail [/COLOR]
    .choose a book to read for this month[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yes, I read a book this month![/COLOR]

Nurture
    .Do yoga stretches (salutations to the sun) twice this week [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Fail [/COLOR]
    .Do a hair treatment [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yes! [/COLOR]

Environment
    .clean bathroom/bedroom [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Ahem, no, I can't run water in there[/COLOR]
    .hang glass lampshade[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yes, at last, it's only taken months...[/COLOR]

Organisation
    .filing and creating a folder for shredding then shred it at work [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Yes![/COLOR]
    .order Maire Condo book at library [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]They don't have it. Not buying it, I think I get the gist from articles I've read...[/COLOR]

Blue sky thinking
    .is there a free Italian/Spanish language class free at a library anywhere close by?
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]No there aren't any on days I can do[/COLOR]

I'm okay with this week. I've taken steps forward and done more than I would have if I hadn't started this diary, so thanks to the people who read and comment it's helped me stay motivated. Happy Friday x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 22nd Jan 16, 5:33 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry reader, I can't get the colour to work properly...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 23rd Jan 16, 8:47 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    OK, here goes...today was a disaster. It wasn't a catastrophe and I will move forward from this, but today I got stressed, cancelled the plumber who was due to give me a bathroom quote because the house was too messy and I was too peed off. I went to buy some shopping and a paper, went to pay and had the wrong card. Paid anyway, so now if the shopping debits before Monday I will be overdrawn and incur charges. It wouldn't have happened if I wasn't exceeding my budget and using a card I shouldn't.

I also ordered some clothes that were bargains, but I shouldn't have right now...

It seems the anticipation of more money coming in is making me spend in advance. It isn't a trait I like...

I decided the fitbit can wait until my March salary. I don't need to buy something to get fit, I need to walk to get fit...

Oh, and I can't find the emoticons every time I post. I only see them sometimes..blah, blah, moan, moan...

I hope your day was more in line with your goals than mine was...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 24th Jan 16, 10:47 AM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello DIA,

Sending hugs to you for your rubbish day yesterday. I think you did the right thing with the plumber. From an outside view it just sounds like your card payment was the only thing that could potentially cause trouble but its hopefully not likely to debit from your account until tomorrow?

Emoticons only show when you click the Go Advanced button under the reply box. Does that make sense?

How are you doing today? I hope you're feeling better.

MTx
    STARTING 2017:
    ======================
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 24th Jan 16, 2:25 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks MT x

To start with I have access to emoticons thanks to MT, so that's a start

I have the second plumber coming tomorrow to give me a bathroom quote. I'm going to work out questions I need to ask and I will try not to cancel though still feeling fed up.

I spent ages trying to list some china on gumtree. It wants to charge me 1.99 to relist so I have to do the ad again, after trying to get around that I gave up But, I listed a dress. I went through books and DVDs and put in ISBN numbers but they're giving peanuts so I will be giving books and DVDs to Oxfam as giving is one of my goals too.

I did quite a bit of tidying and decluttering.

Feel a bit moany and I don't want to be so going now before my post turns negative...

Have a good Sunday people x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Jan 16, 3:47 PM
    • 49,069 Posts
    • 182,263 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you are having a good Sunday
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 25th Jan 16, 2:20 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hey DIA, how did you get on with the plumber? I need to look at booking in an electrician at some point very soon, but feeling nervous about it already. I'm the same as you that my house is clean (other than a previous manky washing machine door seal ) but I just have too much stuff.

Well done on the decluttering and tidying you did yesterday.

Don't worry about coming on here to moan! We all need some space to vent, and it's better on here than in real life?

I hope your day is better today!

MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    ======================
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jan 16, 2:39 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hello MT, thanks for asking.

I can't report anything good I'm afraid as I hardly slept and at 5am I texted to cancel. I said something came up and I had to go in to work. I felt a flood of relief. The funny thing is the other plumber came back straight away and was lovely but this one (who was slow to communicate to start with) took ages to reply and seemed a bit annoyed. Communication or lack of makes me edgy so perhaps he isn't the one to do a big job like a bathroom refurb. I'll still get a quote for comparison, but I doubt I'll use him now. So, I guess something came of it.
    However, there is still the issue that I have a leaky pipe and can't use the upstairs sink

Let me know when the electrician is booked so I can cheer you on

Looking around I still need to tidy and clean!!!

I panicked in advance over the debit as it still hasn't come out so I don't have bank charges

I found a yoga and meditation class I'm starting on Wednesday evening. I have a year of sorting the house out planned so I need to stop stressing and get what I need to do done.

It's a good day for me as it's pay day and after 6 weeks of money panic, I've been paid

I hope you have a good Monday MT xx and you too reader x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 25th Jan 16, 10:52 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Hello MT, thanks for asking.

I can't report anything good I'm afraid as I hardly slept and at 5am I texted to cancel. I said something came up and I had to go in to work. I felt a flood of relief. The funny thing is the other plumber came back straight away and was lovely but this one (who was slow to communicate to start with) took ages to reply and seemed a bit annoyed. Communication or lack of makes me edgy so perhaps he isn't the one to do a big job like a bathroom refurb. I'll still get a quote for comparison, but I doubt I'll use him now. So, I guess something came of it.
    However, there is still the issue that I have a leaky pipe and can't use the upstairs sink

Let me know when the electrician is booked so I can cheer you on

Looking around I still need to tidy and clean!!!

I panicked in advance over the debit as it still hasn't come out so I don't have bank charges

I found a yoga and meditation class I'm starting on Wednesday evening. I have a year of sorting the house out planned so I need to stop stressing and get what I need to do done.

It's a good day for me as it's pay day and after 6 weeks of money panic, I've been paid

I hope you have a good Monday MT xx and you too reader x
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Happy payday Mine is tomorrow.....so happy

Enjoy the yoga and meditation class on Wednesday, hopefully it will really help you de-stress.

Have a great week. I see you found the emoticons
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455 Sept - £900
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £327.26
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Jan 16, 5:39 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Orange Ena

Yes, I'll update you on my new yoga and meditation class! I can but try

A good day. I worked from home today, but still cooked a batch of soup/packaged goods to return/ made a healthy salad for supper and washed my hair...

I'm in the office tomorrow so have to be up early and apply a make-up etc...I wanted to do my eyebrows but it's awful weather outside so they will have to wait. They haven't turned into a uni-brow yet so it's not too bad

On the list of challenges I can't use water upstairs and I don't have lights on one level. I'm quite enjoying the plugged in fairy lights in my kitchen but I get I need to sort the electrics and the leak so I can function like a normal human being. Funny thing is, I'm not stressed about it today...Hmmm. Tomorrows task is to start the search for an electrician/plumber again

Have a good evening readers x
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 26th Jan 16, 6:15 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello DIA,

Firstly, I've answered your ISA question on my diary.

I really feel for you with the plumber and electrician. My bathroom lights don't work which is why I need an electrician but I've put it off for SO long! We both need to take a deep breath and go for it!

Eyebrows need to be fuller this time of year, to stop water dripping into your eyes!!! No????

Enjoy your evening. MTxx
    STARTING 2017:
    ======================
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Jan 16, 6:24 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 10,255 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ha, ha, MT,

Weird we are def in synch as I was just about to reply on your thread re ISA/regular saver and saw you were here at the same time!! Synchronicity indeed.

I like the image of eyebrows keeping the rain out!

Anyway, I'm going to start with the FD regular saver as I can do that straight away. I only have a small amount now but that will change. I can't go anywhere near the maximum amount but something is better than nothing and it will be such buzz to save for a year and be given a little bonus.

Enjoy your evening x

Thanks MT. It's like having a personal finance adviser xx
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,443Posts Today

6,308Users online

Martin's Twitter