Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,972Posts
    • 9,001Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Dancing in the Rain
    • 14th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Dancing in the Rain 14th Jan 16 at 5:50 PM
    Four years ago I was transitioning from freelance creative work to being an employee. I had rising debts because my outgoings exceeded my rubbish freelance income and I couldn't find a job. My home had repairs I couldn’t do. I felt as if my life was in a downwards spiral.

There have been/will be changes good and not so good and these changes have prompted my new diary.

GOOD CHANGES:

I’ve made some progress on emergency repairs and now have a wonderful new boiler (so I am warm!)

I work for a brilliant charity and have done for the last 3.5 years. I know I could earn more, but I enjoy my work, I do something worthwhile and it fits in with other things I want to achieve that are equally important to me. They are now agreeing (from March 2016) to me working full time with 2 days working from home. This is a work balance that will allow me to be creative, and improve my income so I can achieve my 2016 goals

This is the year I become mortgage free.

NOT SO GOOD CHANGES:

My debt has increased from £12,000 to £24,822

After much thought I have realised what my priorities should be for 2016. I want a dog and a small car and a trip to New York but those are WANTS that I can’t have, at least not this year…

I have set goals for 2016 and these goals work towards my overall plan for 2020. Each year there will be an overarching priority and 2016 my priority is HOUSE. I have a schedule of works from which I will set house goals

House, decluttering,creativity, social, house, health, finances, nurturing, environment, organisation and future self

I will also do a weekly, how I saved money this week update on Fridays

I sound frighteningly organised don’t I? This is me getting serious…but I have a real problem dealing with workmen and having them in them in my home!!!! so I'm also bit of a coward-custard deep down too

This isn’t always going to be fun, I get that. But no more putting my head down and waiting for the storm to pass. As often as I can I will get out there and dance in the rain!

Come and support me when you can
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 11-10-2017 at 8:35 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/September 2017=5,250
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 1
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jan 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 14th Jan 16, 6:24 PM
    • 14th Jan 16, 6:24 PM
    Goals for week 18-24th January 2016

Financial:
    .Check whether I need to do a SA form
    .Explore a good account for paying bills from
    .Make a decision re YNAB

Health
    .Swim this week x1

House
    .Draw up a shortlist of 5 contractors to get quotes to decorate spare room

Giving
    .Sign up for kitchen duty

Social/relationships
    .visit friend in hospital or at home
    .ask other friend if she wants to go to cinema (after pay day)

Declutter
    .Find 2 books to give to Oxfam
    .photograph china and do an ad to sell

Creativity
    .Spend 4 hours editing SS
    .choose a book to read for this month

Nurture
    .Do yoga stretches (salutations to the sun) twice this week
    .Do a hair treatment

Environment
    .clean bathroom/bedroom
    .hang glass lampshade

Organisation
    .filing and creating a folder for shredding then shred it at work
    .order Maire Condo book at library

Blue sky thinking
    .is there a free Italian/Spanish language class free at a library anywhere close by?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 16, 9:56 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 15th Jan 16, 9:56 PM
    Friday review
    • 15th Jan 16, 9:56 PM
    Hello diary.

Okay, so I haven't done great today.

I impulse shopped for food and although I got bargains such as nice smoked salmon reduced from 6.29 to 2.19 and some nice veggies and covent gdn soups reduced to 45p, but I still spent £20 and it was unplanned...

I didn't have anything in to pack for lunch so I had some soup in Pret.

I'm not going to be properly organised until payday in 9 days!!! and disorganisation costs dearly

I haven't started on goals for week 18th yet. Must check SA status as i don't want to pay for not doing a tax form.

I start my extra days working in a week instead of 2 months time! So should have new earnings in my pay (at least in part) for my February salary. It's daunting, but exciting as I can make changes sooner and pay off my debt sooner too.

I had a migraine today from the stress of facing up to myself if that makes sense?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Jan 16, 5:32 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 16th Jan 16, 5:32 PM
    A nsd
    • 16th Jan 16, 5:32 PM
    Good things about today:
    • I had a NSD. I plan to begin with one of these a week and build on it
    • I cooked lamb shanks in the slo cook with chickpeas and miso andit tastes brilliant. I will freeze some for days when I need a cooked meal but can't bear to cook. I was working from home so I must do a bulk cook whenever I work from home
    • I did a load of washing and washed up
    • started my book group book so I can go. You don't know me so I can admit I didn't make it once in 2015

The only not so good thing is I don't know how to post on my own thread, I can only see how to reply. So, I am replying and not posting. I am effectively having a conversation with myself
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • TraceyN1
    • By TraceyN1 16th Jan 16, 5:41 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    TraceyN1
    • 16th Jan 16, 5:41 PM
    • 16th Jan 16, 5:41 PM
    Hi Dancing in the Rain, you are very focused which means you will achieve it. You have inspired me to get organised and sort out my own house by de-cluttering and painting my hall. My finances are organised and I have a loan and a credit card which will both be paid by the summer, at least that's my goal. This is all due to this reading the posts on this forum.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 16th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    • 16th Jan 16, 5:50 PM
    Thanks for the vote of confidence TraceyNI. I really want this to work as I'm sick of debt. Decluttering is easier for me than doing up the house. There's just me and although I'm an intelligent grown-up tradesmen tend to patronise and some over-quote too. I really have to grit my teeth and more often than not I end up stressing out, but I need to do this or I'll be stuck

You deserve a pat on the back for painting your own hallway. Let me know how you get on with your plans...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jan 16, 9:44 AM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 17th Jan 16, 9:44 AM
    How do i post in my own thread? HELP please...
    • 17th Jan 16, 9:44 AM
    it sounds silly I know, but I can't see how to post in my thread so I keep replying to myself instead, which is actually talking to myself and then answering back. I don't mind talking to myself, but answering myself is worrying...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Jan 16, 9:58 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 17th Jan 16, 9:58 PM
    No Spend Days are Hard
    • 17th Jan 16, 9:58 PM
    I've had 2 NSDs in a row and to be honest they are hard. I might plan them on weekdays in future. I haven't had weekend papers and there are things I'm running out of that I can't get until pay day. I've also run out of coffee and that makes me ratty. When I do get paid I will ensure I have enough to last the month.

I am thinking about shopping and the key for me is keeping out of the supermarkets on the way home from work. There always seems to be something I need. Then I'm tired and treat myself to chocolate or some other unplanned purchase...So, if I plan better I should be able to do 1 monthly shop and a once a week trip to Lidl for fruit/veg/nuts and a once a week trip to Waitrose for reduced price bargains. I'm allowing a total budget of £35 a week. I know people on here do it for less but I also have health goals so need fresh veggies and decent protein.

And I still can't find the post button, only the reply button. Ah well, I'll get there eventually.

If you are reading this I wish you a debt busting week
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jan 16, 2:53 PM
    • 47,671 Posts
    • 172,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 18th Jan 16, 2:53 PM
    • 18th Jan 16, 2:53 PM
    Hello
    Great to see you
    You are looking for the quick reply button just under where we type the post.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Jan 16, 2:56 PM
    • 47,671 Posts
    • 172,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    So when you want to post there is a box under the last reply on thread that you type your reply on.
    Then you should be able to just post using the quick reply.
    Hope this makes sense!!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 16, 7:47 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    So when you want to post there is a box under the last reply on thread that you type your reply on.
    Then you should be able to just post using the quick reply.
    Hope this makes sense!!
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou!
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 16, 8:09 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    So in the spirit of facing reality I went to check the outside pipe because I've been hearing a gushing sound for days and ignoring it, convincing myself I had super-sensitive hearing and could hear water travel through the pipe. I ran the tap and went outside to look. A PIPE HAS BECOME UNSEALED. So, I can't use the bathroom sink until it's fixed!

Funny thing is I joined the £1,000 emergency fund thread today before I discovered the pipe!

To escape the stress I took myself off to have a coffee (free/9 stamps from Nero). I spent £11 on groceries, including COFFEE!!!Yay!!!

I read 1/3 of my book group book (it wasn't great but it's one of my goals)

I phoned the bank to sort out my card

I broke a glass, a cup and the bulb in my lamp (I won't need to recycle at this rate)

I recycled some batteries

I thought long and hard about the amount of money I spend on food. I did buy a bottle of wine, but it was a miniature bottle (£1.99) Determined to stick to my new food/household budget for February

I can't afford to do my eyebrows until pay day, so I'll do them myself

I have the tiniest amount of washing-up liquid to last until pay day too

It's a little bit grim, but at least with the extra 2 days work from next week, I have the means to make it better and that hasn't been true in a long time

I didn't buy 2 lovely cups and saucers. they were Port Merion by Sophie Conran. I looked them up for a set of 4 they cost £78 but they had 2 for £9, perfect condition too. It was right to leave them but I'm still thinking about them. feeling a bit sorry for myself as I think I should be able 2 charity shop cups. I came over all L'Oreal (because I'm worth it)...

if you've read this far I hope your day has been better than mine...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 18th Jan 16, 10:29 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    If it helps - I would be the same thinking about the cups :-)

Keep on track - doing so well xx
    Savings £9000 I hope!!
    NOT Buying (M)any clothes 2017
    Vouchers £0 NO DEBT
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jan 16, 10:27 AM
    • 47,671 Posts
    • 172,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would have bought the cups!!

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Jan 16, 4:37 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks moneyonmymind and beanielou,

I have to confess I logged on this morning with a coffee and saw both of your responses and they confirmed what I already suspected I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE CUPS! Well, I got dressed and went back to the shop where the cups were still unsold. I bought them. I don't feel bad. I saw those cups in John Lewis last summer, that's how I recognised them. They cost £8, not £9 for two so that's a saving of £70. I also saw a candle I spied at the National Gallery. It was made by a Cornish company who produced them to celebrate the Van Gogh exhibition. The candle cost £22 then (I googled it in the shop) It was all boxed up in the charity shop and on sale for £3 so I got that too. Cups of tea and posh candles destress me and are cheaper to my health and pocket than booze or drugs. There, justification done. i've used one of the cups and they are beautiful both to look at and drink from.

To make up for the overspending this month I'm going to not pay gas and electric (I'm ahead with those) I will also use my free month for council tax to fix the water pipe. I intend to also repair one of electricity circuits with Jan pay too. I have lots in freezer so hope to be able to save from shopping bill...

I had a coffee and read another chapter of my book group book

I bought 4 apples reduced from £2.10 to £1.09

When I came back it looked like I'd been burgled so I started cleaning. Lots of washing-up, sorting out clothes and loading washing machine, a bit of ironing. I also decluttered paperwork.

Sending back a coat, I'll only get a credit, but I'm not going to wear it so no point in keeping it.

I checked myself assessment and I don't need to submit. Yay!

I prepared a raw food veggie box (I always eat better when I can eat prepared veggies). I made a batch of humous, ate a healthy lunch, but also left over crisps...not so good on the crisps, but it's rare that I even have left-over crisps so things are improving. In the last year I lost a stone and a bit. I have 3 stones to go for a healthy BMI but I'm slowly getting there. I haven't done SW or WW just applied my own knowledge although I have been eating only between 11-7.

Dreading next week when I go F/T. I guess I'll get used to it, but so much less free time. On the bright side a bigger salary!

I hope you dear reader have taken steps in the right direction and had a positive day, if not, there's always tomorrow
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jan 16, 5:35 PM
    • 47,671 Posts
    • 172,826 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on cups & on the candle
    Never get bargains in our local one.

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Jan 16, 5:57 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks beanielou, it had to be done. It's going to be a few years at least for me so I need to be reduce my debts but still be happy. The charity shop I go to I call Harvey Ni*ks, it is so posh. I have been dressed by the good ladies of that charity shop and most of my presents for other people come from there too...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • When the going gets tough
    • By When the going gets tough 19th Jan 16, 6:16 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    When the going gets tough
    Have you thought about doing your own decorating? It's really not that hard and a great money saver as well as exercise. The spare room is just the place to start if you are out of practice.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Jan 16, 6:42 PM
    • 1,972 Posts
    • 9,001 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Whenthegoinggettough and you are right of course
    However, I have thought about decorating the spare room for years! I can decorate when the surfaces are prepared but the room is in a rotten state. I did take all the wallpaper off. My house is in a poor state of disrepair and it overwhelms and scares me. The spare room is one of many jobs...I think I have to be true to myself and know it will be like that for years to come if I don't just pay someone. I'd rather work more hours doing something I know I'm good at and pay someone else who is good at decorating.

It's hard enough for me to get someone in. I have a complicated relationship with this house so I'm at the stage that I just need to get it done and this is the best way forward for me...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • MuffinTops
    • By MuffinTops 20th Jan 16, 12:27 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    MuffinTops
    Hello doingitanyway,

I saw your post on my diary and popped across to yours to catch up on what you're up to. You're right, we're very similar. Even down to the nervousness of having workmen in my house. I'm ok with them being patronising and trying to con me, as I'm so OCD on the amount of research I do before they come round, so it's not easy to con me. I also do the damsel in distress of "I wish I had that much money to sort out my decorating" routine! That works way more often than it should!!! My problem is that I'm so friendly (and probably sound so in need of a man to save me) that they over assume their place!!!!

You sound like you're on a real mission, and very focussed. I was really pleased to hear that you bought the cups and candles as you need it all to feel worthwhile too.

Also, buying food isn't bad if it lasts and you do use it. I find that as long as I'm not too hard on myself that I enjoy this process. Then the more I enjoy it, the more I do towards it.

How hard is it to declutter? Are you like me in that you've created some sort of emotional attachment to things? I went through a few years of having terrible money problems, so I got myself into the mindset not to throw anything away because I couldn't afford to replace it if I found I needed it!!! So I'm trying to reverse that now!

I've subscribed. MTx
    STARTING 2017:
    Credit Card Debt: £2,650.00!!!
    ======================
    Saving For a New Property
    Pot of Gold = All gone to the above
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

585Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter