Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 28th Dec 15, 1:32 PM
    • 527Posts
    • 1,026Thanks
    Bossypants
    Freedom will be mine! ...eventually
    • 28th Dec 15, 1:32 PM
    Freedom will be mine! ...eventually 28th Dec 15 at 1:32 PM
    Well, I've signed up for the MFW2016 challenge, so I thought I'd better make one of these in an attempt to keep myself on track!

I think I'm supposed to put in a bit about myself, so here goes: I'm 29, with a boring but relatively well-paying job and £110,000 to pay off over 30 years. I really want to be able to dedicate as much of my life as possible to my passion (writing fiction), but I'm realistic enough to know that making any kind of a living in that area is HARD even for the most talented folks (of which I am not one), and cautious (read cowardly) enough to want the security of a definite roof over my head into old age. I don't want to relegate the writing thing to weekends and lunch breaks forever, though, so I have bought a small-but-big-enough one bedroom flat, which meets enough of my requirements that I could conceivably see myself living here quite happily for the rest of my life. The aim is to pay off the mortgage as quickly as possible so that I can move to working part time and focus my energy on what I really want to be doing with my life.

The gold standard is to over pay by £25,000 per year, but more realistically it'll be £20,000, so that's what I'm putting in my signature. This year there are a few necessary improvements to be made (such as a boiler which actually boils), so it may be a stretch, but what's the point if you don't aim high?

My MFW efforts so far include walking to Aldi for ingredients to make a couple of large pots of budget friendly lamb and root veg stew so that I can start 2016 with a fully stocked freezer, and not going out to spend £29 on replacing my dead tablet charger, but instead getting a generic one on eBay for £3, which can't possibly be any worse than the branded one. It probably won't get here until end of January, so in the meantime I will use Old Faithful the laptop as my travelling companion (I need to have a portable computer for work, but no one said it had to be tiny and swish!).
Page 2
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 17th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 2,633 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Hi bossypants! Do you not take a mobile with you on walks? I'd rather be without an emergency tenner than without an emergency phone! If you do take a phone, pretty much all makes and models have "wallet" covers available - they protect your phone and have a few little slide in pockets for a couple of cards, notes, shopping list etc. They can be bought quite inexpensively and are much less likely to be lost than a loose tenner!
    Mtg [2013 £64k|2014 £51k|2015 £38k|2016 £26k] £14,904.43
    MN [2013-£25k|2014-£2k|2015+£16k|2016+£34k] +£50,239.70
    (MFiT4:+60k)
    NW [2013 £126k|2014 £156k|2015 £190k|2016 £228k] £266,147.26 (2020:300k)
    FI [2013 -1.2%|2014 2.8%|2015 6.9%|2016 13%] 17.5%
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 17th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Bossypants
    That's a great idea SSS! I always bring my phone as well, it only has one of those hard plastic cases, so no purpose made slide pockets, but your post made me think I can just put the note in the back of the case, behind the phone. Will def do that in future, thanks for the idea!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 17th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    I keep money (and occasionally my phone) in my bra if I go out without a purse...
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 17th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Bossypants
    Good idea in theory, but sadly my bra is too small and my phone too big for that to work out for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 17th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    badmemory
    A (very) long time ago we used to safety pin it inside our knickers! And not quite as many years ago I had a pair of jeans that had a pocket hanging from the inside of the waistband big enough for a cc at least and would maybe have held a small mobile phone today. Ah those were the days - not!
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 19th Jul 17, 9:21 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Bossypants
    Weird day today. Got into work feeling irritable and frustrated, then had an unexpectedly productive first meeting, which perked me up considerably. Was fine for the rest of the day, but then when I got home, I found myself suddenly frustrated by ridiculously tiny things.

I've noticed that happening more than I would like, lately. I think I've been focussing a little too hard on The Plan and saving every penny, and not enough to, well, living life. It's a hard balance and I do have a tendency to get a bit obsessive. I've now downloaded some classic (and freely available) books that I've always wanted to read on my Kindle, and tomorrow I'm planning to spend a pound or two on a crochet hook, as I've been wanting to learn for ages.

In MSE news, the Stronghold I had seems to have cleared up the cat's earmites, so no need for a vet visit unless they return, and tomorrow I'm planning to make a partially free mozzarella and tomato pasta bake for the freezer, using mozzarella and fresh basil gifted from my mother before she went away. So I guess today hasn't been all bad, really.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 19th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Bossypants
    A (very) long time ago we used to safety pin it inside our knickers!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    What about the change?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 20th Jul 17, 1:45 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    badmemory
    What about the change?
    Originally posted by Bossypants
    Just talking emergency get you home money here. The world may have changed a lot but not so much that having cash where no-one can get at it has become obsolete.

What I do know is that if it was possible when I was a teenager for my parents to track my movements via my mobile I would have been in deep deep trouble.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 20th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    Bossypants
    Good MSE day today. Did all my errands on foot to save bus fare, and even went to the trouble of getting a refund on the ravioli I had last night (they opened up and let all the filling out, resulting in a peculiar wet must of filling and empty pasta parcels).

Also got my crochet hook (which was more than covered by the ravioli refund, woo!), and also ordered a new pair of trainers, which although not MSE, I'm really happy about. They've needed replacing for a while, and it was getting to the point where I was getting embarrassed about wearing them to walk to work (I change into office shoes once I get there, but there are literally holes in the top), but I've held off because I couldn't find any that I liked enough to wear daily for 2 years for a reasonable price. On Monday night, though, I was walking down wet steps on my way home when I had the sudden, horrible realisation that I was getting no grip at all because the treads were completely worn away, so I figured I would have to bite the bullet and just have ugly trainers for the next couple of years. I was trying different searches in an attempt to find a pair I didn't completely hate, when I found this amazing pair of retro leather ones and fell in love. They were only in my budget because they were 40% off, and as far as I can tell there are about two pairs in my size left in the country, one of which will hopefully be waiting for me tomorrow after work! (I did manage to squeeze a bit of MSE in and opted to go and collect them rather than pay £5 for delivery, so maybe that counts. )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,152Posts Today

6,049Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin