Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 31st Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9,464Posts
    • 31,237Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    Lemon tree and the lemon clan
    • 31st Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    Lemon tree and the lemon clan 31st Jul 17 at 8:27 PM
    So a short introduction. I'm LT.
    Longer introduction: I joined mse over 10 years ago with £43k non mortgage debt which I cleared by early 2012. Unfortunately I don't think i put my name down in the Roll of Honour. During the time I was following the DFW road i met and married Mr LT and just before getting debt free we upgraded from my one bed flat to a 3 bed house .
    Since getting debt free two little Lemon seedlings have arrived DD and DS. Both are under 3 so we're officially nuts and permanently knackered.

The reason for this diary is that we really need to get our finances under control.
    Whilst on my first mat leave i gave OH a credit card on my account and it's kind of gone to his head a bit. We always pay it off in full but it's gotten ridiculous just how much we're spending monthly on it and the last two months we've had to borrow from DD's savings to afford to pay it off. This will be my way of getting back on track and being responsible to myself.
    Additional as of 1st Oct I will be the proud owner of a £6k pay cut for doing the same job. Don't you just love the public sector! I've worked it out as a net pay drop of £300 per month. I've been trying to get OH on board with budgeting but it feels like a losing battle is being waged.
    Today the riot act was read and the credit card was removed.
    We will pay back what we owe DD, get under a reduced budget and start saving madly so that we can build the extension we have planning permission for.
    All friends are welcome and please feel free to nudge me when I'm sounding a bit unrealistic, it's quite some time since I was wholy on the DF wagon and I've probably forgotten more than I've remembered.
    Sorry good for the essay.
Page 3
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 7th Aug 17, 8:19 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    hello Pippi thanks for popping by, no rush about the plants just one question. when is it safe to move a small plum tree?

so today's efforts:
    Updated accounts at lunch time, credit card spends now stand at £322 for the month.
    checked PA - no surveys, hmm haven't had a few for a while
    savings from shopping transferred today £2.05 bring total to £77.10
    Put fuel in car today, couldn't use Mr A's because the station is being refurbished so had to use Mr T's which is pennies dearer grr!
    Mr LT made dinner from freezer and cupboards. Slow and steady wins the use it up race.

got home to Mr LT having done some surprise DIY, a job I've been wanting to get done for a couple of years but was on his too hard pile so I gave up hoping. apparently it didn't take that long and was pretty simple in the end. Just means a bit of paint patching, but we'll get it done when we patch the paint in the kitchen from removing a cupboard.

on the list for this week:
    get back into match funded betting, season is kicking off so I need to pull out my finger
    take photo's of things I need to sell on the works notice board/ gumtree (latter scares me)
    contact builder about our extension, I really need to know what we're doing so I can plan things. I'm fed up of life being on hold.
    • natsplatnat
    • By natsplatnat 8th Aug 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    natsplatnat
    checked PA - no surveys, hmm haven't had a few for a while
    Originally posted by Lemon Tree

Me neither - about 20p in 10 days or so (despite filling out loads of new profile details) Always seems to tail right off when I get to within £1 or so of £20!!
    LBM ,- Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225 PAID OFF
    *DEBT FREE 28th September 2015*
    *2017 cashback pending £84.37, paid £??*
    (2011=£137.30, 12=£66.39, 13=£102.61, 14=£214.97, 15=£159.51 16=£213.05)
    Pro.Ac £10.10 + £126.19 paid
    SAVINGS TO CLEAR STUDENT LOAN £0.00 (£528.56 paid off)

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Aug 17, 1:41 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I keep thinking about trying matched betting, but think we should put in for the remortgage first.

Very little on PA for me either. I've had completed surveys go into limbo before, they automatically get approved after so many weeks, unless the researcher actively goes in and reject them.
    • starnac
    • By starnac 8th Aug 17, 3:12 PM
    • 5,166 Posts
    • 24,047 Thanks
    starnac
    LT your weekend plans sounded fab. Well done for standing your ground with the dress too!

Woohoo to Mr LT ticking off a DIY job. I love it when that happens here!

Can I ask what PA is please?
    DEBT FREE!!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #307
    Save
    Save
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 8th Aug 17, 8:51 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    Me neither - about 20p in 10 days or so (despite filling out loads of new profile details) Always seems to tail right off when I get to within £1 or so of £20!!
    Originally posted by natsplatnat
    sounds about right!
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 8th Aug 17, 8:54 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    I keep thinking about trying matched betting, but think we should put in for the remortgage first.

Very little on PA for me either. I've had completed surveys go into limbo before, they automatically get approved after so many weeks, unless the researcher actively goes in and reject them.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    i'm probably wrong but as long as you keep your MB transactions in a separate account, I didn't to start with and it drove me nuts so I set up a new account, i'm not sure it would affect a remortgage, especially if you don't use the 'income' with in the application.

I've found that there is a completion code logged for the last survey I did so I shall just have to wait patiently for the money.
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 8th Aug 17, 8:59 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    HI Starnac,
    Mr LT diy is pretty rare here especially without lots and lots of nagging or my starting it first so it was a big surprise.

PA is Prolific Academy, i'm happy to provide you a reference code if you're interested (PM me)

On a more boring front I really need to find a method of sorting and keeping on top of paperwork, Mr LT puts it in random places unopened round the house, he won't take responsibility for dumping even junk mail which is very grrry. I'm not as obsessive about it as I used to be in the beginning, aka I've got lazy, so don't put it straight away, possibly because I don't have sufficient storage space. Not being able to find stuff does lead me to be in a right old grump regularly so I do need to find a solution.
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 8th Aug 17, 9:45 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    I have managed to sort out my online access to the government gateway tonight so we can sort DD's free childcare hours when she's eligible.
    I've also
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 8th Aug 17, 10:15 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,270 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Perhaps find a basket of some sort stationed somewhere accessible for Mr L T to pop the post into , then it's all in one place. Then when you gave time you can look through it and throwaway the junk !
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Aug 17, 10:36 PM
    • 2,955 Posts
    • 4,718 Thanks
    another casualty
    Wishing you all the best in your aims lemon tree. Love your cat pic.
    You are going about everything in the best way as far as I can see.
    Not sure about the matched betting tho
    • mizmir
    • By mizmir 9th Aug 17, 8:05 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 7,711 Thanks
    mizmir
    Oooh matched betting. That's a thought. I made >£1k with that back in the day before I'd run out of the simpler offers. But now I have a new card and a new address so maybe I could start from the beginning again.

Thanks for the reminder about it and good luck!
    Aug 2017: £6200 £6000 0% BC
    Aim to clear and get back my Debt Free status by May 2018
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 12th Aug 17, 10:49 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    I made about £800 from it over about 6 months and have started back again this weekend. It's hard to do when you're working full time and dealing with children the red tog the time but it's worth a little bit of effort. I don't do anything risky and there's loads of offers I've yet to do.
    Tonight I've been painting, a side effect from my LT' s diy. Had forgotten that the colour on the wall was one we'd mixed ourselves so I had to use a different pot of paint in the garage and had I do the whole chimney not just the panel. Looks good in the dark so u hope it still looks ok in daylight.
    • polki
    • By polki 12th Aug 17, 11:32 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    polki
    Oooh matched betting. That's a thought. I made >£1k with that back in the day before I'd run out of the simpler offers. But now I have a new card and a new address so maybe I could start from the beginning again.

Thanks for the reminder about it and good luck!
    Originally posted by mizmir

Forgive me for butting in on your thread LT but a gentle warning to mizmir re starting again. Please don't try to open duplicate accounts as the bookies will have your original details - full name and date of birth for example and you could be putting a lot of money at risk. By all means contact them to say that you wish resurrect your account and you may get a lucky bonus offer. Good luck to you both.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 23rd Aug 17, 4:51 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well done to MrLT on the DIY thing and to you on the painting!

And I came to the conclusion it was the time of year with Prolific as I went through a really quiet patch as well - it's picked up again this week though!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • Lemon Tree
    • By Lemon Tree 26th Aug 17, 8:42 PM
    • 9,464 Posts
    • 31,237 Thanks
    Lemon Tree
    sorry I've been awol. Just trying to tick away at the day to day mse stuff.
    tonight I've finished the September pay house accounts ready for next month.
    I'm paying an extra £50 to DD so we'll owe £1850 once the transfers are done.
    Credit card was £1175 this month, which whilst a lot more than I had hoped for was much much better than 1900 last month and 2900 the month before.
    effectively this month we're living within our means, just.
    Must still work on the credit card and mostly on the groceries shopping because next months pay will be the last before my paycut.
    i'm trying to figure out why our grocery bills are again really high and I think it's a lack of planning. I've been trying to not spend too much on the online shopping but the trade off is that I've been doing a second shop during the week. Also doesn't help that Mr LT doesn't always tell me when things are finished. We also did a bit of a stock up in Aldi whilst their baby event is on so won't need wipes for a couple of months or nappies for 1 - 2 months i'd guess.

I guess this month's challenge is to meal plan properly and stick to it.

Summary of debts:
    Credit card 0% to be paid in full £1175.93
    Argos 0% BNPL deals £300
    DD 0% £1850
    Car loan ?% £5220.25
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 26th Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,270 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Sounds like you are doing great .
    Aug 2017 CC1 £3549 CC 2 £1000

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 30th Aug 17, 4:19 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,429 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Hey LT - hope all's good with you, MrLT & the Pips. Living within your means is a great thing when you consider the alternative. Always better to tread water than to sink, I find! Good progress on the Slaying of the Card.

Can you adjust/tweak your meal plans to make sure you have stuff that will last from one shop to the next rather than needing to do the second shop? I'm always wary of online shopping for the very reason that i know I get longer dates on stuff when I choose it myself - which gives far more flexibility of course! If for the last day of your week you choose something - for example eggs - that you know will last right through though - you can just add anything remaining in the veggie drawer to those for omelettes perhaps?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,656Posts Today

7,647Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin