Want to take someone to court

Options
I am owed money by a sole trader and was going down the county court route but have been told he does not reside at the address I have and don't know where he lives - am I wasting my time pursuing this

Comments

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I think you will need an address where they can be contacted, or at least an address where they once lived.

Even if you get a court order for them to pay, that won't help much if they can't be traced.
  • mc711111
    mc711111 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    That was my thoughts
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not using the correct address doesnt seem to stop parking companies when they take people to court.

Naughty of them but it seems to work.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    I think parking companies use an address which was once valid ( via DVLA ).
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can sue him providing last address known to you just fine. Problem is that this is all you will achieve without putting some serious money and/or time to track him down. And even if you do, chances that you will extract any money from him are... well, bleak.

So if you want to punish him, go, get the CCJ, mess up his credit file and maybe even put some pain in his life. But don't hope to ever see the money again.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mc711111 wrote: »
    I am owed money by a sole trader and was going down the county court route but have been told he does not reside at the address I have and don't know where he lives - am I wasting my time pursuing this

Is he advertising anywhere? Does he have a website?

Are you sure that you haven't simply been fobbed off?
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The electoral roll will soon prove whether or not he resides at the address. It is also possible to trawl through the tools for the entire area and find his address that way.

Posting info wanted ads on Facebook might work as well.

Tracing people for free is much easier than folk make out. It just takes your time.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    The electoral roll will soon prove whether or not he resides at the address. It is also possible to trawl through the tools for the entire area and find his address that way.

Posting info wanted ads on Facebook might work as well.

Tracing people for free is much easier than folk make out. It just takes your time.

The electoral roll will not necessarily show anything. I am not on the edited roll (the one that anyone can look at) but am on the unedited (which CRAs see)
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure