Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 10th Aug 17, 2:18 PM
    • 336Posts
    • 49Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Immediate ISA transfer: too quick? Risk of fraud?
    • 10th Aug 17, 2:18 PM
    Immediate ISA transfer: too quick? Risk of fraud? 10th Aug 17 at 2:18 PM
    I have just opened a cash ISA with Charter Savings Bank. The whole process was quick and straightforward, including the transfer of my Virgin Money ISA. In fact, possibly too quick! I applied online, and in the application process I gave the details of my Virgin Money ISA, and said I wanted to transfer it entirely to my new Charter ISA. The whole thing happened in a couple of days. The efficiency is welcome; tbh I was not even aware it was possible to do these transfers online and so quickly. However:
    • I did not sign a single piece of paper
    • Virgin Money did not contact me to alert me of the transfer: no letter, no text, no email, no call, no flying pigeon, nothing
    This got me thinking: doesn’t this system lend itself to potential fraud? I don’t know about you, but I don’t check my ISA account every week. In fact, I may only check it a few times a year, because I know how much is there, and it’s cash, not volatile shares whose value changes every day.
    If someone had stolen my identity and made such a transfer, it could have been months before I realised.

By contrast, I am transferring my stock and shares ISA from Iweb to Interactive Investors, and Iweb have sent me a letter to tell me they are processing it.

Thoughts?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,627Posts Today

7,481Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin