PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Daily Mail Live Below the Line Article

Comments

• Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've always had a metabolism which hasn't run well on carbs. Even as a child I would be ravenous by 10 am if I'd had just bread or just cereal for breakfast, I very much need a protein like eggs or meat to keep me going. Lots of jokes about first breakfast and second breakfast and having a hobbit metabolism.

Don't forget elevenses, the afternoon tea! :rotfl:Seriously, exact same hobbit jokes made in my house and workplace about me also.

Strangely I was always the same when a child also, I'm told I was fussy when very small but by teens always had 4 weetabix for breakfast beforr school, eating all my lunch at first break and then borrowing money to buy another lunch then milk and broken biscuits at home before dinner. I was the only one of my peers who ate so much but was so hungry all the time yet quite boney.

Re the foggyness (low carb flu) i have been informed that it does pass after 10 days, make sure you're eating enough though.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Scrimps wrote: »
    I hope you dont mind me asking, feel free to say so if you do: are you quite a small eater? I only ask because I am trying to eat a nutrient dense diet on a budget and really really struggle to eat cheaply. A lot of it has to do with skill and knowledge but staying satiated for 16 hours...I would love that! I would honestly like to change my apetite levels.
    I've just had 3 days without sugar...had gradually crept back to old habits and was eating sugar and not much else! Largely because I have a tiny appetite, but my body lets me know when I need topping up.

I don't intend to go back to sugar anytime soon....but I have a fridge and freezer full of healthy food to dig into should I feel like it, and don't fancy any of it. It just feels boring.

I can predict I will be making vats of soup when it's on the turn....
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Seems to be a fair few of us 'hobbits' out there.:rotfl:

The sugar addiction passed in about 3-4 days, which surprised me a lot. I didn't get the low-carb flu thingy, I suspect because I tapered off consumption rather than did it all at once.

Sometimes, I drop 0.1 kg per day fpr several days, sometimes I sit at exactly the same weight for 4-5 days and then drop 0.4 kg over night, which has been today's happy experience. I weigh myself once a day, first thing in the morning, and keep a special notebook charting my progress.

Another couple of pounds and I will move from obese to merely overweight, yippee!

Currently scarfing a heaping plate of mixed salad and half an avocado.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    The origins of the Live Below the Line challenge though weren't about people living on low income in the UK, but rather an attempt to replicate some of the hardships felt by people who aren't lucky enough to live in a country like the UK.

xxx

Oh I see. I must have missed that bit as you mentioned poverty in the UK in your first post.

Still seems fairly pointless as she had the free lunch at her work, she should have turned that down if she was being serious. It's the Daily Mail though so what do I expect.:p
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    That sounds like an interesting diet GreyQueen although I'm not sure I could get in board with that much liver! Xxx

I like liver but that isn't very much of it at all.

I'm not good at thinking in grams but the way I look at it is that 110grams divided into 2 helpings works out at less than 2 ounces a serving (considerably less after cooking) and I'm afraid that I just wouldn't want to manage with as small a portion size as that - even when dieting.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Liver doesn't seem to shrink however you cook it, unlike most meats. And it is incredibly dense in terms of filling you up. I very much doubt I could eat the whole 110g in one sitting and I have a healthy appetite and then some.

A lot of meat is very plumped up with added water, which is why the shrinkage is something shocking.

Flavour does seem to affect the satiety you get from food. Take cheese, one of my favourite things. If I have a mild cheddar, I'll want to eat a huge chunk of it. If I have something like a rich cheese, very mature, I'll only be able to eat a fraction of the amount but will still be satisfied.

Of course, mature cheese are more expensive than the cheapest blandest cheddars, which I why I'm always cruising for them on YS - the post Xmas period is particularly productive for fancy cheese hunting and you can freeze it, too. I have fond memories of the mini truckles with cranberries at 8p a pop two years ago.:D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My downfall isn't sugar so much as savoury things I adore cheese in any shape or form and have to limit myself all the time.
    I stopped eating bread, and consequentially butter about 18 months ago and changed to cracker type things which I use low fate pate or cottage or low fat soft cheese on as a spread, this I will have at lunchtimes with HM soups.I do eat an awful lot of fruit ,perhaps mostly oranges though. and will mix diced up fruit with low fat plain yogurt for taste .

My dietician whom I was going to at that time said sensibly that it didn't go on overnight and it certainly won't come off quickly either.
    She said if you can lose between a pound and a pound and a half every week to ten days its more likely to stay off and 'crash' diets just make you feel worse as it goes back on again too quickly hence the yo-yo dieting of some many people.

I have gradually lost around two and a bit stone and will hopefully lose another couple this year.

But its not so much a 'diet' as a complete change of eating habits that has built up over the years .

I have just had a great weeks holiday with my friend and although I haven't lost any weight during that week I also haven't gained any.

Down to the fact of probably having 'treats ' of delicious afternoon teas and morning coffees with my friend ,which I don't normally have when I am back in my own daily routine .But it was a holiday and now its over its back to 'normality' once more :)

By the way I love liver , but I like it with streaky bacon and lots of veg in a thick gloopy casserole ,probably not so good for me :):):)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Nonsense JackieO, liver and vegetables sound sensible to me and what is liver without a slice or two of bacon? I believe that liver needs to be eaten with something containing Vit C before it can deliver its benefit in the form of iron. Liver and orange?

I think that any diet undertaken for the purpose of losing weight or for health benefits has to be interesting and attractive. Severe deprivation will only result in short term benefits and be unsustainable. Speaking as one who has struggled with weight problems all her life (10lbs at birth. Doctors first words, "She looks 3 months old already. Will you look at those legs!) I do know what I am talking about.

Having said that, I have always been suspicious of sugar ever since reading "Pure, White and Deadly," years ago.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks monnagran I shall feel quite virtuous eating my liver and bacon casseroles now :):):) one of my favourite old-fashioned meals that my late Mum used to cook for her tribe of permanently hungry kids.I eat sensibly now and continue to lose my excess gradually and (hopefully :))
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I only really like liver flash fried and pink in the middle - with onions rather than bacon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure