PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• I have just started a batch of limoncello, but now that I have taken the rind off the lemons I suspect they wont last very long in the fridge without drying out/going off :(

I have used up 4 making a batch of lemon curd (run out of butter & eggs now) but I still have a few lemons left - do you think the juice from the remainder would freeze OK or will it lose some of it's flavour? - I thought I would save it to make a lemon sorbet for around Christmas/New Year time.

Thanks in anticipation

N2BT
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    do you think the juice from the remainder would freeze OK or will it lose some of it's flavour?

It will be fine. I've frozen lemon juice in ice cube containers before now and it's been fine. I've even frozen whole lemons for making marmalade and they've also been fine - in fact I'd say I got more juice out of them after thawing.
  • Justamum wrote: »
    It will be fine. I've even frozen whole lemons for making marmalade and they've also been fine - in fact I'd say I got more juice out of them after thawing.

Wow....thanks Justamum...I think I may just try freezing them as they are - without the rind, Thank you :T
  • x__Indigo_x
    x__Indigo_x Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2012 at 5:31PM
    Helppppp

M&s had 750g mixed veg (carrots broccoli and coliflour ) reduced to 10p
    I'd like to make a soup can anyone give me a recipe
    Do I need an onion?? I have garlic and stock cubes at home

Also I have left over roast chicken could I bung that in? X

Please reply quick!!! *hopes*
    I am a full time Benefit and Money Adviser for a leading non profit charity and I LOVE my job <3
    Comments posted on this forum do not reflect the views of my employer :)

Please note forum police I suffer from dyslexia so my spelling and grammar can be dreadful- sorry but I cant help it!
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You've probably sorted it out now but I would fry a chopped onion, add a couple of pints of hot stock. (I use those veg stockpot things, cheap in HB) then drop in the mixed veg. Simmer for about 30 mins until veg is soft then liquidise. I always add garlic near the end of cooking as I think it gets a chemically flavour if overcooked. Salt and pepper to taste.
    You could add some chicken (with chicken stock?) but I would use it for sandwiches to eat with the soup.
    If you check out the soup recipe thread you'll find a lot more ideas. :)
    PS. If you were just in a hurry to use up the veg in case they went off. I've popped them into the freezer in the bag, until I have more time. ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The sticky residue is Sellotape.

I am ignoring it for now! :rotfl:
    good plan ... anyway, I'd say don't use a scouring pad or anything scratchy, or you may damage the finish on the UPVC, if there is still some sellotape there then scrape that off with a thumbnail. You may then find that a 'little and often' approach does the trick.

But if you are near a Lakeland, or want to do a mail order, then do try their sticky stuff remover because if it doesn't work they WILL refund you! I've linked to the spray, they also do wipes, and a gel kit.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 14 December 2012 at 3:13PM
    can i freeze a pot of double cream ?? thanks
    onwards and upwards
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    can i freeze a pot of double cream ?? thanks
    yes, but ... what do you plan to do with it when you defrost it? It might curdle / separate.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    yes, but ... what do you plan to do with it when you defrost it? It might curdle / separate.
    i was going to make potatoes baked in it....cant remeber the name...i have put the cream in the freezer to give it a go as it only cost 30p...thanks for your help
    onwards and upwards
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    i was going to make potatoes baked in it....cant remeber the name...i have put the cream in the freezer to give it a go as it only cost 30p...thanks for your help
    dauphinoise? where you slice the potatoes and cook them in cream? That should be OK, but it might look a bit odd. Just stir very well ... IIRC it usually separates a bit with that anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport