MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...

Comments

• Sorry if I've missed it but surely we could take legal action against them? and if so how?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. There are other much more important things to get worked up about.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. There are other much more important things to get worked up about.

You've obviously never been the subject of identity fraud or stolen bank/credit card details.

Since both of these are potential outcomes of this security breach, which Equifax are doing their very best to play down, I think this is a pretty important issue.

If you don't, you do have the option of not following the thread, of course.
  • meer53
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    You've obviously never been the subject of identity fraud or stolen bank/credit card details.

Since both of these are potential outcomes of this security breach, which Equifax are doing their very best to play down, I think this is a pretty important issue.

If you don't, you do have the option of not following the thread, of course.

I have been the victim of fraud, more than once. It wasn't the end of my world, i'm also affected by the Experian debacle. It's just not something i worry about, if it happens, i'll deal with it.

Meanwhile, i'll get on with things, people talking about "lawsuits and class action" is way over the top.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    I have been the victim of fraud, more than once. It wasn't the end of my world, i'm also affected by the Experian debacle. It's just not something i worry about, if it happens, i'll deal with it.

Meanwhile, i'll get on with things, people talking about "lawsuits and class action" is way over the top.

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion on this, and I hope you're not affected, but you underestimate the impact on someone's life of identity fraud.

And, given that Equifax have yet to explain why they kept this quiet for so long, how it happened and why they've used admin/admin as username/password on one of their operations, legal actions and class actions look like being a distinct possibility - even here in the UK.
  • meer53
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion on this, and I hope you're not affected, but you underestimate the impact on someone's life of identity fraud.

And, given that Equifax have yet to explain why they kept this quiet for so long, how it happened and why they've used admin/admin as username/password on one of their operations, legal actions and class actions look like being a distinct possibility - even here in the UK.

Dealing with fraud is part of my job, i understand exactly how some people can be affected, i deal with it every day, so i really don't underestimate the effects it can have.

I just feel, and yes, it's just my opinion, that some people worry way too much about stuff that may never happen.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,819
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I am being extra vigilant since the news broke with free daily credit report updates from Equifax Protect and the same from GiffGaff for Callcredit.

It is only Experian from MSE that I can only get updated once a month.

As regards ID theft, has anyone heard of an increase in reported ID theft since the initial Equifax data breach in May?
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,819
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have just seen the report from the ICO below saying Equifax had robust data controls. Can the ICO bring charges against Equifax?

London, 29th September 2014

Equifax has welcomed the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) report, published today, following a review of the three UK credit reference agencies. Recognising the significant role credit information plays in the consumer credit marketplace, the ICO report shows each of the agencies have robust controls in place to protect consumer data.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I have just seen the report from the ICO below saying Equifax had robust data controls. Can the ICO bring charges against Equifax?

London, 29th September 2014

Equifax has welcomed the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) report, published today, following a review of the three UK credit reference agencies. Recognising the significant role credit information plays in the consumer credit marketplace, the ICO report shows each of the agencies have robust controls in place to protect consumer data.

I think that report says more about the ICO than it does about Equifax. It's never been a particularly good regulator (much like most of the rest of them) and this is a further example of its inadequacy.

We'll soon see just how strong and effective it is when it handles the Equifax situation.
  • Today I've received an email from Amazon, which reads as follows :

Starting this month Amazon online is no longer keeping personal data on his server more than six months. For this the account must be validated and payment methods verified every six months. Every account that is not verified in this period will be suspended in 48 hours from this email was send.

I suspect this email isn't genuine and haven't proceeded to validate my account. Has anyone else received one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure