Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Comments

• Our property is detached but small... 2 beds, 1 bath/toilet combined, no shower. 1 living room, kitchen/diner in one. Outside double garage.

The value of the property is increased because of the land (1acre) of which half is in greenbelt.

Does the size of the house matter or is it just the value of the whole package ?

Our banding is higher than those around us with 3 and four beds and multiple bathrooms.

There is no other property nearby like ours - maybe one or two similar, but with less land and some semi detached.....can we still challenge our banding ? I came from a terraced house bigger than this and with band A and this is band E.
  • I don't know whether to do this. We have been in Band E since council tax was introduced but in 1991 our house was worth £84,961 which should have been Band D. Our neighbours are a mixture of Bands D, E & F. But since then we have had some extensions added. Do they affect this or is it purely based on what it was worth in 1991?
    Thanks Lynne
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if the band is affected by extensions and works that have taken place to the property since 1991 ? - Can they use an extension since as a reason not to lower the banding ?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

The value of the property is increased because of the land (1acre) of which half is in greenbelt.

Does the size of the house matter or is it just the value of the whole package ?

There is no other property nearby like ours - maybe one or two similar, but with less land and some semi detached.....can we still challenge our banding ? I came from a terraced house bigger than this and with band A and this is band E.

The land can be taken into account provided it is garden and not agricultural land and valued as such. The whole package should be looked at when ascertaining the CT band.

You can challenge the band, but it is pointless using your previous house as a comparison.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    I don't know whether to do this. We have been in Band E since council tax was introduced but in 1991 our house was worth £84,961 which should have been Band D. Our neighbours are a mixture of Bands D, E & F. But since then we have had some extensions added. Do they affect this or is it purely based on what it was worth in 1991?
    Thanks Lynne

You appear to have used a house price index, which are at best an approximation, at worst inaccurate. If you have carried out improvements since 1 April 1993 (prior to this date should have been included in the band) then the legislation says your band cannot be increased because of these improvements.

However I am not certain whether these improvements can be reflected when a reduction is sought. I have a feeling they should not be, but would suggest you contact the VOA itself to confirm or otherwise.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    darren72 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the band is affected by extensions and works that have taken place to the property since 1991 ? - Can they use an extension since as a reason not to lower the banding ?

Improvements carried out by a previous owner after 1 April 1993 should be reflected in the current band.

But if you have carried out improvements since 1 April 1993 (prior to this date should have been included in the band) then the legislation says your band cannot be increased because of these improvements.

However I am not certain whether improvements you have carried out can be reflected when a reduction is sought. I have a feeling they should not be, but would suggest you contact the VOA itself to confirm or otherwise.
  • You appear to have used a house price index, which are at best an approximation, at worst inaccurate.

I used the calculator on the MSE website!!!!!
  • lincroft1710
    I used the calculator on the MSE website!!!!!

My original comment still stands.
  • I'm completing an email to send to VOA in respect of challenging my G tax band. Do I state my reasons at this point or is it just "I believe it's wrong please investigate and correct". Not sure if I should be putting supporting information. My house is in a mixed road with no similar properties, but property probably within the top quartile from a current value perspective. That said, historic price records and sold prices of "similar" properties indicate it was never near the G band back in 1991. This is really the only factor I have as I can't compare with a direct like for like. I would love to know your thoughts. Complete respect for Moneysaving expert contributors as they helped me with a £5000 refund from British Airways when bumped off a flight. Hoping for a good outcome here too
  • lincroft1710
    I'm completing an email to send to VOA in respect of challenging my G tax band. Do I state my reasons at this point or is it just "I believe it's wrong please investigate and correct". Not sure if I should be putting supporting information. My house is in a mixed road with no similar properties, but property probably within the top quartile from a current value perspective. That said, historic price records and sold prices of "similar" properties indicate it was never near the G band back in 1991. This is really the only factor I have as I can't compare with a direct like for like.

Providing supporting information at first contact is best.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback