PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Was it last week you pulled me up for saying Mr Google was driving the Google car?

So, what's happened to all the 'workwomen' who do this sort of thing in your new, non-sexist language regime?

Just asking. :D

P.S. I think they might really be 'tradespersons.' ;)

:rotfl:Whoops...you gotta point Dave:rotfl:.

You've caught me mid-language updating for the 21st century. "Tradespersons" it is. Though, goodness knows, I have yet to come across a woman doing any of the trades around here thus far - so it's always been "workmen" and never "workwomen" since I moved.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Locally, we have a lady chimney sweep. There's also someone who advertises decorating and painting who goes under the name of "A Woman's Touch.".....

......Errr, at least I think that's what she does! :o:eek::rotfl:
    Options
    Locally, we have a lady chimney sweep. There's also someone who advertises decorating and painting who goes under the name of "A Woman's Touch.".....

......Errr, at least I think that's what she does! :o:eek::rotfl:

....:rotfl:at the thought of your dear lady wife's likely opinion as to whether you can investigate that more closely or no:rotfl:
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    NicNicP wrote: »
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.

I won't post the details, but some people we know just sold a house with a very similar blue suite - and another brightly coloured one. In fact, apart from a 1990s style kitchen, the whole house is a bit of a 1970s time warp.

Not knowing them for long I'd assumed the house had belonged to a deceased parent of theirs - they don't live in it and their own house is ultra modern and very minimal.

I was therefore very surprised to discover it had been their home till about four years ago. Turns out they bought it in the early 1970s (I think they are late sixties age-wise) and modernised what had been a Victorian cottage. To look at it now you'd assume it was built in the 50s/60s.

Seems that apart from the kitchen, they never updated anything further after their original investment, yet they were professionals on high salaries with no kids.......although they do have some very expensive hobbies. I guess they liked it that way and weren't obsessed with decorating like me, lol!

The house is now in such a bad state - unmortgageable - that after over 90 viewings, it's been sold to a developer who plans to knock it down.
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • NicNicP
    NicNicP Posts: 249 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Nowhere to sit while one speaks on the phone. Keeps the conversations short and costs down. Very MSE. :A

Agreed, it's a damn good (ex-local authority?) house. Even faces the right way.

Yes it is ex local authority.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    NicNicP wrote: »
    Granby Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, High Peak
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50431083.html

It's like going back in time. Not seen a blue bath suite for a while.

The stripes on the lawn remind me of my late father. He used to play cricket and when he retired he used to mow the local cricket pitch and always ensured when cutting the lawn at home that it had even stripes!
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
    Options
    I won't post the details, but some people we know just sold a house with a very similar blue suite - and another brightly coloured one. In fact, apart from a 1990s style kitchen, the whole house is a bit of a 1970s time warp.

Not knowing them for long I'd assumed the house had belonged to a deceased parent of theirs - they don't live in it and their own house is ultra modern and very minimal.

I was therefore very surprised to discover it had been their home till about four years ago. Turns out they bought it in the early 1970s (I think they are late sixties age-wise) and modernised what had been a Victorian cottage. To look at it now you'd assume it was built in the 50s/60s.

Seems that apart from the kitchen, they never updated anything further after their original investment, yet they were professionals on high salaries with no kids.......although they do have some very expensive hobbies. I guess they liked it that way and weren't obsessed with decorating like me, lol!

The house is now in such a bad state - unmortgageable - that after over 90 viewings, it's been sold to a developer who plans to knock it down.

It's a way of thinking I don't understand either. I was brought up to think = houses get looked after obviously. So I do. So my brother does. We've obviously got a motto in our heads of "See house = knock it about. Get it up-to-date" and that's precisely what I've just finished doing on my current house.

But I am losing count of the number of workmen here that tell me they know where most of their incomes are coming from and there are quite a few people around that just don't maintain/modernise their houses and, when I ask if the reason is because they can't afford it, I get told they suspect it's often that people can afford it, but are choosing not to. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone wouldnt do the maintenance/modernising - if they do have the money. It is a right hassle trying to live in a house while it is being modernised - but isn't it a bigger hassle and a 'mood downer' to live in one that is just deteriorating....
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is a right hassle trying to live in a house while it is being modernised - but isn't it a bigger hassle and a 'mood downer' to live in one that is just deteriorating....

You might think that way, but others have different priorities.

I'm thinking here of two elderly couples I knew, who had bought landed properties in the '60/70s and then 'gone into the garden' for about 35 years. Obviously, with about 35 acres between them, they weren't poor.

These people opened their gardens to the public and with these to look after, they never gave any real thought to their houses, both of which were extremely time-warped. One of them had been a new build......in 1970. It was totally original in all respects, but not uncomfortable.

These weren't depressed folk; just people who knew what they wanted in life and got on with doing it. If only all couples could agree like that and share the joy of their preoccupation.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

But I am losing count of the number of workmen here that tell me they know where most of their incomes are coming from and there are quite a few people around that just don't maintain/modernise their houses and, when I ask if the reason is because they can't afford it, I get told they suspect it's often that people can afford it, but are choosing not to. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone wouldnt do the maintenance/modernising - if they do have the money. It is a right hassle trying to live in a house while it is being modernised - but isn't it a bigger hassle and a 'mood downer' to live in one that is just deteriorating....

I suspect, with the elderly, they don't have the energy/strength to empty cupboards etc then to move furniture. Some are afraid to ask for help for some reason - my Nanan for one. Though she lives in a housing association warden controlled bungalow, nothing has been done, to the decor since my grandad died 9 years ago. The only thing different is a photograph of them both on their Diamond wedding anniversary on the wall.

She has not changed her sofa or dining set when they are so uncomfortable to sit on.
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 9:30AM
    Options
    I suspect, with the elderly, they don't have the energy/strength to empty cupboards etc then to move furniture. Some are afraid to ask for help for some reason - my Nanan for one. Though she lives in a housing association warden controlled bungalow, nothing has been done, to the decor since my grandad died 9 years ago. The only thing different is a photograph of them both on their Diamond wedding anniversary on the wall.

She has not changed her sofa or dining set when they are so uncomfortable to sit on.

Not elderly yet - quite...ahem. But I just "sigh and pay up" for allowing for tradespeople to move my furniture around etc as required - rather than do it myself.

Confesses to being in the "flick a switch - and hand over the dosh" school of thought when it comes to getting anything more than a lightbulb changed in my house:rotfl::rotfl:. Admits that part of it is because I simply CBA to do it myself:o. It doesnt bother the tradespeople - they're getting paid for it. Admits to a sexist division of labour going on here when work is done - they drop heavy hints/downright ask when they want drinks and I smile sweetly/pay a bit extra if appropriate and they do other "odds and sods" for me as well whilst here sometimes. The last job done, for instance, and they'd timed and priced the job to allow for them being the ones doing a lot of the shifting of my stuff around - and I think I had moved more of my stuff around than they thought I would in the process - but they still had to move quite a bit of it. I'd left anything heavy for them to do.

They get lots of drinks and prompt payment at the end of the job and I get my little "odds and sods" done too. What's not to like? (as long as they're decent standard at their job - and I'm finding them gradually):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure