PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

wild camping

Hi
I guess this strictly should be on the UK holidays bit but I thought perhaps I'd try here what with the preppers and OS attitudes that seem to prevail here and is often my own approach to life (also, though I don't post much, I do think it's the nicest part of the forum).

I'm newish to Scotland (Edinburgh) and hear people talk of going wild camping and it sounds very appealing and hopefully inexpensive and 'earthy' if you see what I mean. Done some research and looked at the various websites that are aimed at WC and like the idea of it.

I haven't been camping in centuries so wondering if anyone could give a bit of an 'essentials list' apart from the obvious (tent!) and good sources for kit - I don't have anything so far, though can borrow bits, but want to start fairly inexpensively just in case it's a flash in the pan! I'm thinking of weekends away, travelling by car, setting up and exploring the area, there are two of us, adults.

Also any recommendations of where to go for novices would be nice.

Thanks.

Comments

• elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm over on the west coast. Great places over here so long as you can cope with (or be prepared for) the midges.
    We wild camp a fair bit and have just done the NC500 (although that was in the back of a van lol)
    I'll try and think of what you need. Baby wipes are a must. I'll be back once I've thought of a list :)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Midge spray, baby wipes, midge spray, baby wipes, things to eat that just need water added or not much heating up, midge spray, a spade/loo roll, windproof lighter, water, lots of booze. Plenty of changes of clothes so if you can layer up if you get cold or change if damp. Might be worth borrowing some kit if you can, see how you get on and take from there;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On places to go try somewhere that is not to far from civilisation at first so you can easily beat a retreat if it's not for you.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Midge spray, baby wipes, midge spray, baby wipes, things to eat that just need water added or not much heating up, midge spray, a spade/loo roll, windproof lighter, water, lots of booze. Plenty of changes of clothes so if you can layer up if you get cold or change if damp. Might be worth borrowing some kit if you can, see how you get on and take from there;)

You forgot to mention Midge Spray :p
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,596 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A trowel :)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My essentials are:
    Tea/coffee, long life milk, small stove and pan to boil water in.
    Tap water in a big plastic refillable container.
    Torch/ head torch...firelighters and a couple of lighters (twigs and logs for fire to be locally sourced).
    Toilet Roll

Alcohol, corkscrew, munchies.... rinse and repeat..... ;)

Oh and a tin of baked beans :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    A bag to take your rubbish home in.
    No one should be able to tell where you've camped ;)

Oh, did anyone mention midge spray :rotfl:
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Don't skimp on your tent. Buy a decent second hand one rather than a cheap new one. Weather can be very very wet and windy so you need to keep dry. Keep your tent well airaited or you will get condensation. It can be cold at night. I'm a cold sleeper so my sleeping bag for summer goes to minus 10, in winter minus 33. You need sleeping mats to stop the cold seeping up from below.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If your relationship with the other adult is close, I wouldn't bother with sleeping bags at all. Take two double (or king size duvets) and a double air mattress or, for the ultimate in comfort, two singles side by side.

We used to use separate bags but found shared duvets warmer and less restricting.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Use a head torch. It is so much easier to have both hands free.
    Look on instructables dot com for how to make lots of gear .
    Take a wool hat for night time .
    Have a plastic bag for putting wet /dirty gear in .
    You can get various 'just add hot water' type foods from places such as lidl and Aldi (savoury rice variations and noodles) without breaking the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure