BT Contract end

Having had many difficulties setting up BT last year it transspired that my phone line and tv 12months ends 9/8 and my broadband a month later. Presumably I can cancel both from the same date without being locked into further minimum terms?

Want to cancel it all together to make it neat and tidy. If I then start it up again presumably they just switch it back on and job done?

PS: have tried to ask BT but they're so incompetent that I couldn't get a straight answer!

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,028
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 8:16AM
    Your contract doesn't 'end', the minimum term expires, so at that point you can quit without penalty ( you still need to give the required notice )
    You cannot have broadband without 'line rental' , so if you arranged to get rid of the BT phone line exactly as the minimum term expires ( so on the 12 month anniversary ) you may find that by default the broadband also goes ( because you cannot have one without the other) the broadband though may still have a month to run before its minimum term expires, so that's basically a month of ETC for the broadband, the early term charge is likely to be what you pay for broadband per month, but you may need to consider if they charge for equipment if effectively quitting before the broadband minimum term,
    ..or you let the phone run into month 13 ( you don't start a new phone minimum term, the phone just becomes a 30 day notice contract, but possibly not as cheap ££ per month as it was in the minimum term period), and arrange to quit on the 12 month anniversary of the BB, which would be month 13 for the phone.....assuming the minimum terms were 12 months for both
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Best decide the future you want before any cancellation . A cancellation may incur a £30 fee .
    You will pay the standard monthly line rental for month 13 circa £19.
    Presume you will still want a service after 9 /9.
    Decide what ISP you want .You can phone BT and say you are moving or just let the new ISP handle it all .BT will come back with an offer for you to stay .
  • Hi, PLEASE CAN YOU HELP!!!
    My mum closed an account with bt in may last year (she had to move to another country for a while) she had paid up until June and she had asked if there was anything else she had to pay and two people, including a manager said there wasn’t at all (no line rental as we were leaving a few days after this call). Now they have sent a debt collecting company to get almost £90 from her and we do not have even close to that kind of money spare, we will probably have to skip a meal or two to pay it off. Can you please help in any way with information on how to combat this, or even just a way we can let bt know that they have a communication problem?
    Thank you for anything you can do,
    Sophie
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Best decide the future you want before any cancellation . A cancellation may incur a £30 fee .
    You will pay the standard monthly line rental for month 13 circa £19.
    Presume you will still want a service after 9 /9.
    Decide what ISP you want .You can phone BT and say you are moving or just let the new ISP handle it all .BT will come back with an offer for you to stay .

Thanks.

I have already decided the future I want and it will be with BT as a new customer - Quidco cashback and prepaid reward card. I very much doubt they will offer similar to stay. In fact, I called them to enquire and the best they could do is to keep what I have (Infinity 1, basic tv with bt sport and telephone) for £17/month + line rental for a minimum 24 months. No thanks.

Presumably if I cancel the current contract and then start again in my name, BT will just connect the same phone line again?
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    BT probably won't accept you as a new customer until you have left at least 12 months - I know that Sky do.
  • adonis10
    Forumite
    Peter999 wrote: »
    BT probably won't accept you as a new customer until you have left at least 12 months - I know that Sky do.

Even if it is in a different name? Current contract is in my partners name, new one will be in mine.
  • JJ_Egan
    Forumite
    SophieMal wrote: »
    Hi, PLEASE CAN YOU HELP!!!

See your identical post .
  • JJ_Egan
    Forumite
    adonis10 wrote: »
    Even if it is in a different name? Current contract is in my partners name, new one will be in mine.

I think its best to just try and signup and see .
    Existing user to cancel end contract and pay the termination fee £31 .
    New user to sign up and pay activation fee are two traps to be aware of .
    https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/##packages
  • adonis10
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    I think its best to just try and signup and see .
    Existing user to cancel end contract and pay the termination fee £31 .
    New user to sign up and pay activation fee are two traps to be aware of .
    https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages/##packages

True, but this is circa £100 offset against £100 cashback and £125 reward card. If I get both I win, if I get one I break even or slight profit, if I get neither I'm
    £100 down. Not big numbers so worth a punt.
  • adonis10
    Forumite
    Another thought is that I may not be able to purchase a new service contract at our address until the old one is disconnected, thus resulting in 2-4 weeks without broadband - could this be a possibility? In other words, a new connection cannot be made without disconnecting the current service. My plan was to order the new service online about a month before the end date but now I wonder if this is actually possible.

Anyone experienced similar?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport