Rights to return - hoover suction removes my carpet

My vacuum cleaner decided to develop an electrical fault at just 1 year old. It had never been that great so we decided to invest in a 'Hoover BF81VS02 Vision Reach Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner via Argos.

The reviews on it were pretty good so we thought this was a great purchase. We set it up last night and actually cannot hoover as the suction is taking up my carpet. It is near-on impossible to move on hardwood flooring too - and I am a fit 30 year old. There is no button / switch to adjust the suction power.

I am hoping this is not £90 down the drain. Do my consumer rights cover this? Can I return it now it has been used? Surely a hoover that can hardly be moved when on is not fit for purpose?

Any help / advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• DavidFx
    DavidFx Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    From the instructions:

https://www.hoover.co.uk/small-appliances/vacuum-cleaners/cylinder-vacuum-cleaners/bf81vs02-vision-reach-bagless-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner/

page 2 "5. Adjust the suction regulator on the handle to the desired level.[9]"
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    First time I have ever seen a complaint that a hoover is to good, usually the other way about.
  • Thank you David.

We have tried this but it has not made it much easier and we are still struggling to push this across the carpet.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    My vacuum cleaner decided to develop an electrical fault at just 1 year old. It had never been that great so we decided to invest in a 'Hoover BF81VS02 Vision Reach Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner via Argos.

The reviews on it were pretty good so we thought this was a great purchase. We set it up last night and actually cannot hoover as the suction is taking up my carpet. It is near-on impossible to move on hardwood flooring too - and I am a fit 30 year old. There is no button / switch to adjust the suction power.

I am hoping this is not £90 down the drain. Do my consumer rights cover this? Can I return it now it has been used? Surely a hoover that can hardly be moved when on is not fit for purpose?

Any help / advice would be great.

Thanks
    Where did you buy this thing?
    Online? Instore? Name of seller?

How did you pay? By card? Credit or debit card?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have found that there is a nap to my carpet and although I haven't experienced the extent of the problems you are having, I can use my vacuum cleaner much more easily in one direction than the other, and if I push from corner to corner, i.e. on the bias of the carpet, that too is not so smooth. Has your carpet a very long pile?
  • This was bought in store at Argos by debit card
  • I can only push it forward very hard but not pull it back. Our other Hoover worked fine and definitely was not this tough but still cleaned.

It's a pretty flat carpet and not very fluffy
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a Vax with a similar problem, but you can vary the motor speed and you can decrease the suction strength by opening a vent. Also as the dust collection cylinder becomes full, the suction strength decreases
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    This was bought in store at Argos by debit card
    If it's faulty, take it back for a full refund.

If however you have simply decided that this particular model isn't for you, then you are entirely dependant on Argos' returns policy and their goodwill.

Here is their returns policy:
    Returns, refunds & exchanges

Can I return it if there’s nothing wrong with it?

Absolutely! We offer a 30 day returns guarantee on most items. (We’re nice like that.)

So if you need to bring it back, just bring it back. Then we’ll either refund the cash onto the original payment method or offer you an exchange. Easy.

You just need these 2 things:

your proof of purchase
    the item should be unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable condition
    er... there is no 3
    Can clean it up and make it look like it's unused, in its original packaging and in a re-sellable condition?

If not, then you have no consumer right to return it for a refund and are totally reliant on their goodwill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure