The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Replacing a HUDL 1

fwor
fwor Posts: 6,806
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Forumite
For three years I've been using an original Hudl as an additional instrument display in my van, showing extra data such as coolant temp, GPS-correct speed, engine boost and load stats.

Unfortunately the battery on the Hudl is at the end of its life - it now discharges quicker than the USB charger port can keep up. I've already done one battery change and I don't want to do another (because I strongly suspect that the "new" Hudl batteries on Ebay are just recovered from old Hudls like mine).

But - what current model to replace it with? It must be a 7" model because nothing bigger will fit the space, and it must be Android Jelly Bean or later and have GPS built-in (which I think rules out an Amazon Fire 7 HD) and it needs to be reasonably good display definition and brightness. Budget is around £70-80. Problem is that there are loads of relatively low-spec ones by companies I've never heard of like Prestigio and Linx - but I've no idea if they are any good or not.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,058
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 1:30PM
    Lenovo 7"

Basic tablet but well built, not sure about GPS though?

Some of the old Nexus 7 had GPS if you can locate one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Tab-3-Essential-7-Inch-LED-1-3GHz-1GB-16GB-Android-Tablet-Black-Argos-/352018218673?hash=item51f5ebbeb1:g:LbEAAOSwYlRZLxoJ
  • fwor
    Forumite
    The availability of GPS built-in is a problem, because quite often it's not even stated in the spec.

Thanks - the Lenovo's screen is quite low res (much lower than the Hudl), but it would probably be adequate if it's bright enough.

I'd like a Nexus 7 (which I'm fairly sure does have GPS, and also a great screen) but even secondhand ones four years old are still outside my budget, and I don't want a replacement which is that old (because the battery may be on its last legs too).

I guess the main issue is that most of the new product development has gone into tablets bigger than 7", so few decent ones have been introduced in the last couple of years.
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This will do your job perfectly and has GPS. I keep one on my boat just to run navigation maps and other related apps. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4590224
    I have always found Lenovo to be good value products.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 2:29PM
    I replaced the battery on my wife's Hudl with one off eBay (about a fiver IIRC), following instructions on YouTube. Easy job. Battery plugs in. Case is a bit tricky to split due to very tight "seam" that's difficlt to get a spudger in, but otherwise a ten minute job.
    I just read your post properly! you've already changed the battery!

The battery I fitted is supposedly new and OEM and works OK! It wasn't he cheapest on there.
  • fwor
    Forumite
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    The battery I fitted is supposedly new and OEM and works OK!

Yeah - the supposedly new replacement battery that I put in was not hard to do, but unlike the original, it died suddenly. I've put the original battery back but it's on borrowed time...

The situation with Hudl 1 batteries seems to have changed recently and they are getting less common and more expensive - presumably because there are fewer dead Hudls to scavenge used parts from.

Thanks for the Lenovo Tab 3 recs - I've got a Lenovo Yoga tablet and rate it very highly, so I guess in the absence of anything else (with a better screen) I'll go with that.

Having said that, I'm not that enthusiastic about a "Refurbished" model, because I know what "refurbishing" involves (take it out the box, turn it on - if it powers up Ok, give it a wipe over and put back in the box. Voila - one "refurbished" tablet!).
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    fwor wrote: »
    I know what "refurbishing" involves (take it out the box, turn it on - if it powers up Ok, give it a wipe over and put back in the box. Voila - one "refurbished" tablet!).
    I wish it was that simple, i refurbished tablets until 3 years ago when i had to give it up due to bad arthritis in my hands
  • fwor
    Forumite
    I wasn't being entirely serious, but the problem with refurbs is that they will not find intermittent issues.

The Hudl was a case in point as that was a "refurb" - the first one I got worked Ok for a few hours and then went crazy. The replacement worked Ok but the battery was marginal even when I first got it.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yeah - the supposedly new replacement battery that I put in was not hard to do, but unlike the original, it died suddenly. I've put the original battery back but it's on borrowed time...

The situation with Hudl 1 batteries seems to have changed recently and they are getting less common and more expensive - presumably because there are fewer dead Hudls to scavenge used parts from.

Thanks for the Lenovo Tab 3 recs - I've got a Lenovo Yoga tablet and rate it very highly, so I guess in the absence of anything else (with a better screen) I'll go with that.

Having said that, I'm not that enthusiastic about a "Refurbished" model, because I know what "refurbishing" involves (take it out the box, turn it on - if it powers up Ok, give it a wipe over and put back in the box. Voila - one "refurbished" tablet!).

All due respect to anyone who does decent refurbs, but I had a bad experience with other electronic gear "refurbished" some time back. Had my money back, but it's the hassle. Like you it's not for me thanks.

I wondered how long the Hudl replacement battery supply would go on for. Pity because we have two of them, and I think for what they are they are decent bits of kit. I suppose you have to look at these things as "throw away" to some extent. :(
    But just because the batteries gone seems a pity.
  • angryparcel
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I think for what they are they are decent bits of kit.
    Yes a good all round tablet like the Blackberry Playbook, but sadly both discontinued.
  • angryparcel
    I wasn't being entirely serious, but the problem with refurbs is that they will not find intermittent issues.

The Hudl was a case in point as that was a "refurb" - the first one I got worked Ok for a few hours and then went crazy. The replacement worked Ok but the battery was marginal even when I first got it.
    i never did a hudl refub. i mainly had acers and lenovo, i used to strip them down and test batteries inside and outside of devices and test all the internal wires and circuits. charging ports were the main thing that caused issues. I also created a device that i would place the table on and switch it on after a full charge and leave it to see how long it would take battery to drain, so the device i created would long the temp of the machine, the time it took to discharge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure