HMRC say I owe £155.80

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Londonsu wrote: »
    Possibly but the letter and breakdown was very clear in both our cases we knew exactly why we had an underpayment and also it was made clear in the first letter that they were not asking to money to be paid back to them just that there would be an adjustment to our tax codes.

I had an overpayment letter for £78 once I think and it had all the usual info bits and bobs and a payment slip. Nothing about it going onto my tax code. I had to call to get it adjusted.

Anyway, again, the OP may have ALL that information (if it is indeed a tax overpayment and not a benefit one, which we still don't know) and still think 'this is clearly someone else's mistake, not mine' which is what the OP implies, in my opinion.

But again, as we said, we do not have enough information at all to hell
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    As the OP is unemployed, there would be no benefit reclaiming via tax code unless they receive an occupational pension.
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    I had an overpayment letter for £78 once I think and it had all the usual info bits and bobs and a payment slip. Nothing about it going onto my tax code. I had to call to get it adjusted.

Anyway, again, the OP may have ALL that information (if it is indeed a tax overpayment and not a benefit one, which we still don't know) and still think 'this is clearly someone else's mistake, not mine' which is what the OP implies, in my opinion.

But again, as we said, we do not have enough information at all to hell
    Unable to help some people :rotfl:
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • gwin
    gwin Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Another apology, I've been away a couple of days.
    I received a P800 form.
    I'm on PAYE so as far as I knew my employer paid whatever the code stated.
    I understand the process so little that I'm afraid I couldn't tell you if I have been paid too much or too little.
    I could be owed £££s over the years and would have no idea.
    If there is any other information you need I'll try my best to get it from the letter they sent.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2016 at 11:44PM
    gwin wrote: »
    I received a P800 form.
    I understand the process so little that I'm afraid I couldn't tell you if I have been paid too much or too little.
    If there is any other information you need I'll try my best to get it from the letter they sent.

It happens. Overpayments and underpayments happen a lot.

It should break down why you have underpaid. On my latest one it had 3 lines in a big empty box. One was my income from employment, and then there were 2 identical lines which stated JSA. I had not received JSA so I called them up and those details were removed. The JSA totalled £2000 which had led to my '£400 underpayment' which was not correct.

Check the income figure they have against your P60/P45 from your employer. If its correct, then its more than likely owed. If you think its wrong or there are erroneous income amounts on there (as in my case) call them up and tell them. As you are currently on benefits you will probably have a benefits line as well as your income line.

Basically its owed (unless the figures are wrong). You can call them to arrange a repayment schedule, and when you get another job you can ask to have your tax code adjusted to take into account your underpayment.

If they owed you £££'s you'd have received a cheque. I've had overpayment cheques (of thousands before when I had been on emergency tax) and notes that I have underpaid.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I received a P800 form.

The P800 will have details of earnings and tax paid along with details of tax owed, these details will be a good starting point to see what is happening.
  • gwin
    As a postscript to all this. It turned out they had put two separate and differing charges for the same thing. When I rang up they said it was either estimated or computer error!
    I asked my former employer for proof of earnings via email which they promptly sent.
    When I rang HMRC back she said "Ok, I'll get that charge removed".
    I asked if she needed to see the email as proof to which she said no! She totally went off my word.

The whole system is a sham and a license to print money. How many people have taken their own lives after being chased for bogus tax claims?

I have a relative who was self-employed and a few years ago was told they didn't believe his earnings and promptly charged £25 000. He got legal backing and it turned out the pen pusher had been new to the job and over zealously tried to make a name for himself. After two and a half stressful years the case got dropped.

My advice to anyone who genuinely believes they have been wrongly charged is don't just pay up for a quiet life or because "they must know what they're talking about" because they DO NOT.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As a postscript to all this. It turned out they had put two separate and differing charges for the same thing. When I rang up they said it was either estimated or computer error!
    I asked my former employer for proof of earnings via email which they promptly sent.
    When I rang HMRC back she said "Ok, I'll get that charge removed".
    I asked if she needed to see the email as proof to which she said no! She totally went off my word.

The whole system is a sham and a license to print money. How many people have taken their own lives after being chased for bogus tax claims?

I have a relative who was self-employed and a few years ago was told they didn't believe his earnings and promptly charged £25 000. He got legal backing and it turned out the pen pusher had been new to the job and over zealously tried to make a name for himself. After two and a half stressful years the case got dropped.

My advice to anyone who genuinely believes they have been wrongly charged is don't just pay up for a quiet life or because "they must know what they're talking about" because they DO NOT.

Have you claimed your overpaid tax back?

Being unemployed and having been employed in the same tax year means you are entitled to a refund of tax that you have overpaid.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • gwin
    Happy MJ, didn't need to. They were trying to bill me but once I proved them incompetent they dropped it.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    What do you mean mistake?

There are many ways of underpaying and overpaying tax. You still owe it.

Such as the 4 million HMRC made last year and in this case too.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure