Paying In Slips

Is a paying in book necessary to have?
I bank with NatWest.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having one?

All coments apreciated.

Thanks.
:A :A :A :A :A :A :A
Over 1000 pound in debt.
To many red letters.
Welfare Rights helped me out.
Now I pay a little amount each month to clear debt.
So much eaiser the pressure has been taken off me. :A :A :A :A :A :A :A

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If you are regularly filling out paying in slips its a lot quicker because you don't have to fill in account etc. details.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Never understood the need for them - they seem to be a throwback to a more archaic way of banking.

But if your bank requires an extra piece of paper, so be it.

Personally, I prefer "Hand over your money to a cashier, agree the amount, get a receipt printed and leave."

Far more sensible and no form filling.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's safer ...... pre-populated with your account data and therefore no bad handwritten figures to be misinterpreted.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
    456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Never understood the need for them - they seem to be a throwback to a more archaic way of banking.

Personally, I prefer "Hand over your money to a cashier, agree the amount, get a receipt printed and leave."

Yeah Halifax don't have them - was a bit surprised when HSBC sent me a load of paying in books when I opened some accounts with them
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    opinions4u wrote: »

Agreed ... I'm assuming it's a throwback to the days before the level of computerisation that we have now. It certainly seems a curious and pointless waste of time for everyone.

I'm glad my account is with Halifax, where they do it in a far more sensible and modern way!
  • If used properly, they provide extra protection to the bank and the customer. You write down what you have and a breakdown of the cash, they tick off against it and stamp it, it's now a paper record and proof of what was paid in. Sorted.
  • When using Barclays envelopes for the deposit box, they require a paying in slip as well as the hand written data on the envelope. What a waste of time.
  • willo65
    willo65 Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Natwest do still provide them to give the customer a choice but you can just use your chip and pin card or just your account number to pay in at the cashier.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    In the case of NatWest, the pay-in book would allow you to pay cash & cheques into your account via other parts of RBS group i.e RBS, Ulster bank & Isle of Man bank.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    In the case of NatWest, the pay-in book would allow you to pay cash & cheques into your account via other parts of RBS group i.e RBS, Ulster bank & Isle of Man bank.

Have they not yet integrated their computer systems yet then?? With HBOS, you can use either a Halifax or BOS branch with either account, no need for a paying-in slip.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure