Is working for a call centre in your mid thirties a failure?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your happy doing that job then that's what matters isn't it ?

You get on well with management so you must be liked there.

You have a job, working hard at it.

Be proud of yourself.
  • GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Coming from a background such as yours, having a job is a real success, you are paying your own way through life and paying tax. Ignore any c*** who would say that. They're not worth it, and for all they know, they're just a pay day away from redundancy, JSA sanctions and homelessness themselves.

One of my favourite psychologists stated "its not what happened in your past, but what you do today that counts." So, have you thought about returning to college or studying for a degree with the OU? What are your interests? Its never too late to return to education, I'm 35 and applying to retrain as a Clinical Psychologist next year.
  • Thanks for all the positive replies. I wasn't expecting them to be honest, there are lots of good points.

But seriously, in the real world, it is considered a bit of a loser job. This really is my impression of it.

- Your accomplishments are treated as "team effort", not as your work as an individual.
    - Other departments avoid you unless they've got an angry customer to transfer to you.
    - Important changes happen, but you are the last to know.
    - You are treated like a chronically disobedient child.
    - Customers snigger when you go through the mandatory phone script. (Not in a nice way)
    - You are constantly clearing up others' mistakes.
    - Your desk position and team alignment change every 2-3 months.
    - Everyone around you is obsessed with status.
    - The people around you talk openly about drugs, partying, and casual sex, despite being 40-plus.
    - The same 40-plus people will habitually pull in sickies.
    - People outside work consider you a flake.
    - You look in the mirror and think "really?"

The stigma of working for a call centre is very real. People just flat out think you are an idiot and a loser. I've worked here for 2 years, but it's still really uncomfortable to live with working this job.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    There is your answer, Looks like you need to find another job then.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    OP what do you want to BE?

Teacher, plumber, nurse etc That's what you need to think about then train/study for that profession/trade.
  • year-zero wrote: »
    Thanks for all the positive replies. I wasn't expecting them to be honest, there are lots of good points.

But seriously, in the real world, it is considered a bit of a loser job. This really is my impression of it.

- Your accomplishments are treated as "team effort", not as your work as an individual.
    - Other departments avoid you unless they've got an angry customer to transfer to you.
    - Important changes happen, but you are the last to know.
    - You are treated like a chronically disobedient child.
    - Customers snigger when you go through the mandatory phone script. (Not in a nice way)
    - You are constantly clearing up others' mistakes.
    - Your desk position and team alignment change every 2-3 months.
    - Everyone around you is obsessed with status.
    - The people around you talk openly about drugs, partying, and casual sex, despite being 40-plus.
    - The same 40-plus people will habitually pull in sickies.
    - People outside work consider you a flake.
    - You look in the mirror and think "really?"

The stigma of working for a call centre is very real. People just flat out think you are an idiot and a loser. I've worked here for 2 years, but it's still really uncomfortable to live with working this job.

So leave. Stop whining and get a better job. Start looking for opportunities - if you complete paperwork and can use Word start looking for an admin job. Look at the Civic Service website or your local council for opportunities. Apply for everything you can meet the criteria of. Attend interviews, get feedback. Attend some classes.

Your future is in your hands. Time to stop whining and start taking some action.
  • FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    Personally I think if you're the type of person who belittles call centre staff then you really must have an insecure hole inside that nothing but being a hurtful goon can fill.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    You have skills in customer service, problem solving, multi tasking, (presumably - flexibility in work), used to working as part of a team, but using your own initiative.

In your position I would ask management for some more responsibility, which may give you some supervisory experience, possibly a training course.

Secondment to the social media team?

I'm speculating but you have skills which can be used in other areas.
  • FredG wrote: »
    Personally I think if you're the type of person who belittles call centre staff then you really must have an insecure hole inside that nothing but being a hurtful goon can fill.

Damn, nice troll attempt bruh! Fingers crossed you get a reaction out of the Op huh?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Damn, nice troll attempt bruh! Fingers crossed you get a reaction out of the Op huh?
    Quite apart from the fact that it generally appears to be the case that the trolling comes from you, why would the OP react to this? The poster has observed that being spiteful to call centre staff is low - the OP is call centre staff, and somebody made a nasty comment about them. The only reaction you'd expect would be "thank you, you're right".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure