working time regs & learning (training) in my own time with work relevant stuff

Options

Comments

• PossiblyOverworked
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    In future, limit information you pass to HR, corridor talk or not.

Lesson learned I suppose! But the "tea and coffee pot design" course appeared on my appraisal, all of which go through HR, so perhaps it would have reached them anyway? I don't know, maybe they don't look into things that much. (I'm a "detail seeker" and assume everyone else is..)
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    What a load of carp! I employ drivers, if one of them wants to visit his mum 150 miles away/drive his missus horsebox to a show4 hours away, it's nothing to do with me.

The only time it is anything to do with me, would be if they drove for money either for another employer or as a self employed driver.
  • PossiblyOverworked
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    They have no way of monitoring what you do in your own time. So unless you actually tell them the hours you're putting in to training, (which as already stated is none of their business) how do they think they'll be able to police it anyway. Ridiculous suggestion.
    They are talking cobblers - what if you were doing an open university degree in a completely unrelated subject taking up just as much time? Would they expect to have right of veto over that as well? The WTD does talk about job related training, but I would think that applied to when the employer was making you do it on top of the working week.

Or you could just say you're not doing any work at the weekends - how would they know otherwise?

They have explicitly asked (I asked for more time to go back with a reply) what days/hours I am doing as part of thing "duty of care".

I actually did do an O.U. degree before and got grief over that but prevailed in the end (the threatened to make me give it up due to a "conflict of interest", .. I quietly let it drop but followed it anyway) Ok I don't know if that counts as "prevailing" techically but i have the degree and also I still work there.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like they are just trying to give you a hard time
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    remind HR that this is NOT a work related course(as in one they are expecting you to do) so does not count as working time under working time regulations.

Could well be a misunderstanding they may think it is a work course that they just did not know about.

You could go further and ask if they would like to make it an official course by paying for it and the time spent doing it, you will consider that offer as long as they don't want a payback agreement to go with the payments.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Erm... there is a whole lot of boring detail behind the scenes about meetings and stuff but I didn't think that was relevant to type out - is there anything specific you want to know?

What's your union said?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You should also raise the "on call" situation,

If they want to strictly follow the rules on rest periods.

You should not have to come into work for 11hrs after a call where you needed to work.

To comply with the weekly rest periods they need to limit the call on consecutive weekends.

How are they on the 20 min daily breaks for over 6 hrs.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I did accountancy exams when working. I would work 9-5, then go home, start studying around 9 until 11-12, then all weekend at times. No one really cared. I got some study leave (1.5 days per exam and nowhere sufficient enough).
    As said, they don't force you to do it. Seems overreacting to me.
    ally.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    As long as you don't need any practical experience to be logged against your teapot spout design course then I'd respond to HR thanking them for bringing their concerns to your attention & you'll take the appropriate action (aka keep totally quiet about your course never to mention it to ANYONE IN WORK again).
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Personally - I agree with everyone else that its not their business.

I guess its more a "matter of form" (ie protect back stuff) thing for them to mention it now.

Well - their back will be perfectly well protected if they literally don't know you are doing it. That being because you've told them what they wish to hear - ie that you've given it up (eg because you found you don't have enough time for it any longer;)). I've had to do much the same in a couple of different issues prior to retirement - and that was the end of them poking their nose in.

Then you carry on with it as per usual - but quietly this time...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure