Spare Tyre - how long can it be used for?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Are you ok with sticking to 50mph on the motorway, A roads?

Shouldn't be a problem on single carriageway A roads. There's more and more with a 50 limit anyway.
  • MisterP123
    MisterP123 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Physically, the tyre will be absolutely fine. I have no doubt you could drive around as normal for a few thousand miles without issue.

The problem is they are only authorised for "finish your journey or get repaired at or below 50mph" and you can get into trouble with the plod for this.

So if you get stopped and asked when you put it on, tell them about half hour ago and you're on the way to the hospital where your wife is giving birth to you first born. Or something along them lines.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The C&U regulations were updated to cover the use of space-savers because normally mixing sizes on one axle is a big no-no. The amendment is S.26(5) and it doesn't place any restriction on distance or reason for the journey:
    (5) Paragraphs (1), (2), and (4) do not prohibit the fitting of a temporary use spare tyre to a wheel of a passenger vehicle (not being a bus) unless it is driven at a speed exceeding 50 mph.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/26/made

It's a bit like the travelling to an MOT - there's no legal restriction but you might be looked at a bit funny if you're headed off on a round GB holiday with one fitted. And police who find reason to look at you a bit funny can usually find something else on the car if they really want to.

Personally, I'd use it and just drive sensibly if I couldn't get it repaired beforehand.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    AA advice:

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels

As long as you ONLY drive the 50 mile 'round trip' and get the new wheel & tyre fitted ASAP after you return, should be OK. But I would not advise doing anymore miles than that. as the AA says, the composition of the sace-savers is soft and wears much faster than normal tyres.

This, though, is really, really bad advice, ignore it:

"...So if you get stopped and asked when you put it on, tell them about half hour ago and you're on the way to the hospital where your wife is giving birth to you first born. Or something along them lines. "

Can't believe anyone would say that here. Ridiculous!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,468
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2017 at 5:26PM
    They should be used to get you to the nearest garage for a repair to be carried out.

I fitted a skinny spare and did a 5 mile round trip and it scared the brown stuff out of me, braking was so unpredictable it was dangerous.

So if you do have to use it for longer ensure it is on the rear axle.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You could always take the sticker off it till you get your original tyre back.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    AA advice:

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels

As long as you ONLY drive the 50 mile 'round trip' and get the new wheel & tyre fitted ASAP after you return, should be OK. But I would not advise doing anymore miles than that. as the AA says, the composition of the sace-savers is soft and wears much faster than normal tyres.

"...So if you get stopped and asked when you put it on, tell them about half hour ago and you're on the way to the hospital where your wife is giving birth to you first born. Or something along them lines. "

It's a standard spare wheel in the fiesta.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,388
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »

I don't see why this is ridiculous. If stopped for anything like this eg blown bulb, blowing exhaust, etc it's always best to say it's just happened and that you'll get it fixed when the shops / garages open in the morning.

Otherwise you're just asking for trouble.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,180
    Forumite
    chrisw wrote: »
    I don't see why this is ridiculous. If stopped for anything like this eg blown bulb, blowing exhaust, etc it's always best to say it's just happened and that you'll get it fixed when the shops / garages open in the morning.

Otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

Why not. The police officers have never heard this before and could use a laugh.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    Forumite
    The size of tyres is marked on each sidewall - something like 195/50 15.

What size are your normal tyres?
    What size is your spare?

The law says that both tyres on an axle have to be the same size. The one exception for that is if you have a "space-saver" spare that's intended for temporary use. That temporary use is generally defined as 50mph/50 miles.

If the spare is a "real" space-saver, much thinner than the normal tyres, then you really are best sticking to get-home use only.
    If the spare is a "proper" tyre, that just happens to be a little different in size, then you'll probably be fine for a few days until you can get the replacement, but I wouldn't be leaving on a continental touring holiday with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure