Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I have now checked the water pressure & checked the central heating is also working. Upstairs bathroom taps getting hot. Downstairs tap will get hot if I leave the upstairs tap running. Have googled some more and it sounds like I will need to call heating engineer :( Will wait till DP's arrive, but will post on in my home board & see if any other suggestions
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh, I hope it is not too expensive. Good luck. Just getting ready for appointment

swx:j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I hope its not expensive too ! DF is going to look at the tap and restart the boiler tomorrow and if no joy will have to call out the heating engineer. :(

On a good note we have spent the afternoon in the sunny garden & are waiting for indian takeaway which DP's have paid for :D

I have got hold of the kleen ese distributor and she has been round to collect the iron cleaner and said she has torn up the cheque I gave her. Just to be on the safe side I contacted the bank online and they no longer charge to cancel a cheque, so I have cancelled it ... yay result !!

I am going to tool station in morning with DF to get nuts & bolts to start the fence and will pop into asda on the way and get a replacement iron for £4. I will try not to burn my work trousers on this one :o and will use the price guarantee voucher £1.78 so should only pay £2.22 :cool:

SW - I hope your appointment went ok x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Busy, busy day. Visit to tool station came to under £20. Half the fence is up. Lovely weather. Bought my new iron from asda & voucher used. All meals from stores.

I phoned the heating engineer and am waiting for him to get back to me to arrange a day for him to inspect the boiler. He thinks it is the diverter valve (?) - don't know what that will cost but will get it serviced at the same time.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I hope it fixes it. Heating and hot water is essential. Well done in having an emergency fund. I need to keep one rather than just a happiness fund but I use the xmas fund for it all the time.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Fence is almost finished ... Phew ! Looks great & DM cut the grass. It was cold and dull yesterday morning but warmed up when the sun came out in the afternoon. Similar morning today. Hope the sun get out.

Plans for today - finish last fence panel & break up all old fence & take to tip.

Haven't heard back from heating engineer :( I will ring him again just before 9am. Just want to know if he's going to do the job or I will have to look for someone else.

Credit card bill is getting scary. :eek: Will sort all finances out next week. I think I will have spent my emergency fund by the time the boiler is fixed and may have to dip into xmas / holiday funds too.

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:32AM
    Options
    Oh heckitty poo poos. It is horrid waiting for water. I hope he contacts you today.

Engineers are always busy. Glad you have all the funds so we can use them when we need to.

I hope it all falls into place. Thank goodness your DPs are there. It is v stressful but if they are there they can take your mind off it a bit. I'm with British Gas for emergencies but I went down to the cheap cover and it means I have to pay £75 for a call out. Next year I am going to have full cover as it was cheaper and they come straight away. You would be a priority customer due to your condition. They are really nice and trustworthy.

I hope someone comes soon and you have a good day.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I looked into boiler cover before but my boiler is over 20 years old.

I looked into replacing my boiler on some official / gov website I cant remember which one, but it said I would not re-coup the outlay in increased efficiency/reduced bills so I'm not in any rush to replace and don't have that sort of money at the moment. It hasn't needed any repairs for 7 years. The heating engineer is sourcing replacement parts and is coming early next week. Am fed up of boiling kettles already !

Fence news - its all done. Last of old fence got broken up and trip to tip yesterday. Garden looks lovely. DM has raked and cut and edged the lawn and it looks really good. Hope I can keep it like that.

I am going to hairdresser this morning and out for friends 50th tomorrow. I am treating DP's to Chinese tonight as a thank you. I offered to take them out but decided everywhere would be busy as its Good Friday. Hope everyone has a nice long Easter weekend off relaxing x

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hurrah for the new fence and for all of you working so hard. I hope you have a lovely Chinese. Am soooooo envious. I love Chinese!

I will need a boiler in a few years as it is probably the same age as yours. Houses are so expensive.
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Hi SYA, I agree with you that there is a line to be drawn between being thrifty vs having space. I think I will copy you when I have more energy and go through the massive cupboard in my hallway where I stash old bed sheets etc - I've probably got five single sheets and three doubles even though I bought a king size bed two years ago! (It was my only really expensive treat to myself and I love it!)

"I think I will rename my thread - "Boring middle aged women does washing and cleaning whilst trying to save money" lol." <-- This made me laugh, and I'm not laughing much at the moment. Thank you for that :grouphug:

Sorry to hear about your water problem. I have to say, although I'm desperate to buy, the one thing I love about renting is that I can just email the letting agents when something breaks and it's always fixed the same day at no cost to me. Problem is I'm not learning how to fix stuff like you are. I'm considering taking an evening course at the local community college when I'm in the run up to buying - they offer a course on basic fix-things-around-the-house which is £100 for the whole course I think. I don't trust myself to youtube things like you do - I know lots of people swear by it but I'm completely cack-handed with DIY! Once not too long ago my boiler was really playing up and the letting agents sent round a plumber/engineer/man who knew what he was doing, and he literally just reset the boiler - I didn't even know that was possible despite the "reset" button on it. Oops!

Do you have another shower you can use in the meantime? When I've had boiler trouble I use the shower at work as it's only round the corner. Perhaps a friend, work, gym? You're right, boiling kettles is really tedious but it does get the job done and is temporary. Perhaps put four pans on the stove at the same time - might do more water in the same time as the kettle does? Or both?

I'm glad you had a good time with your parents and that you put them to work around the house and garden! Well done for finishing the fence so quickly - just in time for the warm weather which is hopefully just around the corner.

Hope you have a fab meal with your parents tonight x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure