Potential mileage reclaim

Options
JamesN
JamesN Posts: 776 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 28 August 2015 at 12:51PM in Cutting tax
Hi,

I used to work as a contractor for a company, It was a years contract but whilst I was there i had a permanent role already lined up (and contract signed). So the company was never a permanent place of work (I believe this is defined as two years).

As a result, is it possible to claim my home to work commute as technically my place of work was my agency (though I never needed to go there)

We are talking about 8000 miles, straddling 2 tax years (though only 2 months in one and 9 in the other).

Is it possible to reclaim this? (it would be the 10/11 and 11/12 tax years).

Am I right in assuming it would be a tax relief of 20% so:
8000 x 0.45 x 0.2 = 720?

Thanks

Comments

• jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JamesN wrote: »
    Hi,

I used to work as a contractor for a company, It was a years contract but whilst I was there i had a permanent role already lined up (and contract signed). So the company was never a permanent place of work (I believe this is defined as two years).
    No that’s wrong I’m afraid.
    The 24 month rule applies to people in long term employment who are sent, by their employer to somewhere other than their normal place of employment temporarily.
    In the context of your agency work you only had one, permanent place of employment and your travel to work was ordinary commuting.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32130.htm
  • JamesN
    JamesN Posts: 776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I had the feeling that may be the case. Obtaining the documents to prove it may have been a right hassle anyway. At least it is one less thing to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure