IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Eye Court Action

Comments

• Several things strike me about this case.

Firstly, the defendant could just be a bit of a numpty who has made a complete mess of things, not asked for advice or got poor advice from other source, possibly even a qualified legal one (as we know many of them don't understand the PPC modus operandi sufficiently well), and cocked the whole thing up!

If he is a patsy, which is also a credible call given our experiences, then do Pannone know that he is a patsy? If Parking Eye are willing to put forward a patsy, surely they would not tell Pannone that is what he is and this might be a trick to try and convince Pannone of their credibility? If Pannone did know it was a set-up well, that could land them in a whole heap of trouble.

The final issue is again about Pannone... people keep posting they are a credible company (and I have looked at their website and can see why) but maybe that opinion is out of date. We have no idea if Pannone are struggling for work or indeed if it is as simple as one of the partners goes yachting with one of the directors at Parking Eye and this is the result. It is odd though that they are getting involved!
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I suspect that the sequence of events may be something like this:

1) Punter receives multiple PPC tickets in same location
    2) Following advice on here or elsewhere, he ignores all correspondence
    3) PPC decides sum involved is large enough to risk a punt in Court
    4) Court claim issued, punter gets defence statement from trusted source
    5) PPC don't back down, punter rocks up at Court armed with defence but no actual understanding of the legal issues involved
    6) PPC's brief makes a much better job of arguing their case
    7) Judge is more sympathetic to PPC argument, awards claim, and exceptionally high costs in this case

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    IIRC when something similar happened in Scotland the PPC had been putting tickets and also warning letters etc on the car which continued to park in the private area.

Thus the defendant had less chance of recourse to 'there was no valid contract formed'.

Similarly if the 'charge' was '£60 per hour' as opposed to 'free for 1 hr then £60 charge' there is more chance of it getting 'accepted'.

Each case stands or falls on its own merit and nuances [imo].

That's why there's no need for any panic, and the advice of ignore, ignore, ignore some more still stands imo.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • Trebor16
    Trebor16 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    The final issue is again about Pannone... people keep posting they are a credible company (and I have looked at their website and can see why) but maybe that opinion is out of date. We have no idea if Pannone are struggling for work or indeed if it is as simple as one of the partners goes yachting with one of the directors at Parking Eye and this is the result. It is odd though that they are getting involved!

Pannones get a mention on the solicitors from hell website in relation to how they have mishandled a persons estate who had lost capacity. In this one case the judge at the Court of Protection stated that the fees to be taken should not amount to anymore than £2500 per year but Pannones charges came to £26371, over ten times more. Just do a search on Hugh Jones, Pannones to see what I mean.
    "You should know not to believe everything in media & polls by now !"

John539 2-12-14 Post 15030
  • OK, confession
    I got a letter from PE 3-4 weeks after I parked in Coniston where there was no notice about CCV but there was pay n display signage and machine. My wife bought the ticket, clearly displayed it on the dashboard (right way up as the previous year I was fined as I’d mistakenly put it the wrong way up).

We returned to the car 10 to 15 mins before the ticket ran out and saw no notice on the car (the previous year’s incident they there was one – different company)

A week or so ago we got a letter saying you did not buy a ticket so pay us £90 or £60 if within 14 days.

OK, I should read here first… I emailed the saying NO we bought a ticket and it was clearly displayed.

They have now just written back saying, unsurprisingly, your appeal has failed and you paid for ‘insufficient time’. So initially we didn’t buy a ticket but now we did but not a long enough one.

I work for a large company and do a lot of contract work though I'm not a solicitor but I spoke to colleague today who is one who said…
    They maybe just invoices but that doesn’t mean they can’t be enforced however respond to them telling them about the contradiction, ask them for proof (the onus is on them) state you are not paying the invoice and referring them to Consumer Direct (a site on the web with a simple form to complete.

That is the last I hope I’ll hear!
  • Trebor16 wrote: »
    Pannones get a mention on the solicitors from hell website in relation to how they have mishandled a persons estate who had lost capacity. In this one case the judge at the Court of Protection stated that the fees to be taken should not amount to anymore than £2500 per year but Pannones charges came to £26371, over ten times more. Just do a search on Hugh Jones, Pannones to see what I mean.

So, that they are in bed with Parking Eye should come as no surprise, they are out of the same mould.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • smigin wrote: »
    OK, confession
    I got a letter from PE 3-4 weeks after I parked in Coniston where there was no notice about CCV but there was pay n display signage and machine. My wife bought the ticket, clearly displayed it on the dashboard (right way up as the previous year I was fined as I’d mistakenly put it the wrong way up).

We returned to the car 10 to 15 mins before the ticket ran out and saw no notice on the car (the previous year’s incident they there was one – different company)

A week or so ago we got a letter saying you did not buy a ticket so pay us £90 or £60 if within 14 days.

OK, I should read here first… I emailed the saying NO we bought a ticket and it was clearly displayed.

They have now just written back saying, unsurprisingly, your appeal has failed and you paid for ‘insufficient time’. So initially we didn’t buy a ticket but now we did but not a long enough one.

I work for a large company and do a lot of contract work though I'm not a solicitor but I spoke to colleague today who is one who said…
    They maybe just invoices but that doesn’t mean they can’t be enforced however respond to them telling them about the contradiction, ask them for proof (the onus is on them) state you are not paying the invoice and referring them to Consumer Direct (a site on the web with a simple form to complete.

That is the last I hope I’ll hear!

Now, they are going to write back to you either, stating your letter is rubbish and give you lots of reasons why you are wrong and they are right... all of it total hogwash OR they are just going to ignore you and keep you in the letter chain anyway. There is a slim chance it might work, but I rate you chances at less than 1%.

Your colleague is right, invoices can be enforced, but only reasonable ones in the eyes of the court and contract law, the law they are relying on, only allows them to demonstrate and then claim actual damages... this is the bit they can't do, which means that in general terms for this board, we regard and tell people they are in effect unenforceable.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,105
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 March 2014 at 1:01AM
    OLD THREAD - STOP READING!!

Please wise up and click one click to page one to see CURRENT threads instead which tell you how to appeal and win.

PARKING EYE NOW SUE IGNORERS ROUTINELY, EVERY DAY, SO DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING EYE FAKE PCN IN ENGLAND/WALES.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Sorry but why do you think this thread should have died a death a long time ago? The first case where Parking Eye have taken somebody to court and you think we should have just swept this under the carpet so nobody can see that it happened? I understand it does not need to be bumped up by new posters making a 'confession' but I know for a fact people are following my case on this forum and it should not have died a death a long time ago.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,105
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 March 2014 at 1:01AM

Please wise up and click one click to page one to see CURRENT threads instead which tell you how to appeal and win.

PARKING EYE NOW SUE IGNORERS ROUTINELY, EVERY DAY, SO DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING EYE FAKE PCN IN ENGLAND/WALES.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure