Warning: top-battery.co.uk

2»

Comments

• MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    It seems that your concern is that you feel that you were dealing with a UK business when you in fact were dealing with a foreign one. You based your conclusion on the fact that there was a Royal Mail logo on the website. In many cases it helps if you do a whois search, which will tell you who registered the domain and in what country it was registered. Sometimes this option is not working, as some people use whois privacy. Secondly you could do a search on the company name on the "companies house" website. If the company doesn't show up there, it's a sign that it's not registered in the UK. You could also search the alleged UK address on "companies house" and it will tell you if the company in question is registered there.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    MrJones1 wrote: »
    Secondly you could do a search on the company name on the "companies house" website. If the company doesn't show up there, it's a sign that it's not registered in the UK.
    So joe bloggs plumbing in manchester is not a UK business because he is not listed at companies house.

ONLY Limited companies are registered at companies house and you dont have to be a limited company to run a business in the UK
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2017 at 6:53PM
    So joe bloggs plumbing in manchester is not a UK business because he is not listed at companies house.

ONLY Limited companies are registered at companies house and you dont have to be a limited company to run a business in the UK

I should have mentioned that there are only limited companies registered there. Thank you for clarifying this. One could also use a reputable business directory to confirm if the business is real or not. Yes there are sole traders out there that are not listed, but there should be information on their website if they have any. The information should include the name of the person who trades and the address. It should be easy to look up if the information is real or fake.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    MrJones1 wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that there are only limited companies registered there. Thank you for clarifying this. One could also use a reputable business directory to confirm if the business is real or not. Yes there are sole traders out there that are not listed, but there should be information on their website if they have any. The information should include the name of the person who trades and the address. It should be easy to look up if the information is real or fake.
    Personally i think all businesses should be at least have to get a DUNS number (https://www.dnb.co.uk/duns-number.html) as just like a Ltd Company must register with companies house.
    but then who will police it, just like any UK business that store personal details must register under the Data Protection Act and i bet a lot of UK businesses are not registered
  • I ordered a macbook air battery for my daughter from good-batteries.co.uk. It arrived OK - within days - and their support responded w good english. (Unlike the comments above, their website looks fine to me).
    Was just about to order another battery for my own macbook when I saw from the paypal invoice that it was clearly a Chinese company. And ended up here.
    1) Should I be concerned for my daughter's safety?
    2) Is there a better UK company to get laptop batteries
    Thanks!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    A lot of manufacturer batteries also come from China ... many probably from the same factories as the "cheap" batteries. What matters is the quality control put in place.

1) How long have you had it? (The battery, not your daughter :) ) It's probably OK.

2) No idea, sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport