Salary advice

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    depending on how you get on with your manager some hints you are seriously not happy with this may be an idea,
    I only got the job because I was cheap,
    what you want me to leave,
    you clearly don't value me,

This passive / aggressive approach would be a tad unprofessional and childish.

The OP has said the manager has no control over salary allocation / pay rises so why make her life more difficult by making digs about something outside of her remit?

It'll only serve to sour the working relationship.

It's a simple choice - accept the role and the salary and enjoy the change and use it to raise your profile or look elsewhere for something that pays more (but with the risk of two years of reduced employment 'protection').
    :hello:
  • cook0891
    cook0891 Posts: 144
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Are you in a union, could they help?
  • It might be unfair. It doesn't matter. It might be unfair in your favour...they might be worth more than 2k more than you are. Might be less.

Unless this is the public sector all that matters is are you going to leave if they don't pay you more. if the answer is no, they won't pay you more. If the answer if yes, they will pay you more if they think you are worth it.

I agree with this. When you start comparing salaries in the private sector there are lots of different factors to consider and you may not be aware of all the relevant ones in this situation. And assuming it is private sector, how do you "know" what the others get paid?
  • goatfertility
    goatfertility Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 20 April 2017 at 6:55PM
    tykesi wrote: »
    Careful you don't choke on that bitter pill, it's obviously quite hard to swallow.

The only pills being swallowed is OP's one. And it clearly says 'humble brag' on it so well done for swallowing it.

I'm anticipating the OP's next thread will be some salty tears over a 67 plate Porshe being 'just' out of reach. I know I, for one will be weeping a river for them behind my battered old Focus....
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    The only pills being swallowed is OP's one. And it clearly says 'humble brag' on it so well done for swallowing it.

I'm anticipating the OP's next thread will be some salty tears over a 67 plate Porshe being 'just' out of reach. I know I, for one will be weeping a river for them behind my battered old Focus....

Not being rude but no one is 'bragging' about a 30k salary.

26k is the UK average, it's barely above it.

Just because you're clearly on a low wage doesn't mean everyone on more than you is humble bragging.

If you think the only thing between you and a brand new Porsche is a few k more on your salary you'd be sadly mistake...
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 2:18AM
    2k difference? Honestly, I'd be SOOOO grateful for just £26-28k.....with so many of us (millions) on minimum wage-ish, and so many unemployed you should probably just be happy you're making that sort of money at all. It's so far beyond the dreams of myself (and so many I know) who graft day in day out....for years.

Then perhaps make some effort to get to that level of pay?
    People in well paid jobs usually invested a lot into their lives - both time and effort.
    Most people in NMW jobs do not have qualifications/experience to get jobs that pay more so no point comparing those to the OP's salary or to unemployment.
    Not that 30k job is an unusually well paid job as someone already mentioned above.
    Rather than being bitter and sarcastic and unhelpful - concentrate on improving your own prospects maybe?
  • lazer-zxr
    lazer-zxr Posts: 446
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I understand your view point, interestingly from the side of your higher paid colleague. For my employer in the private sector, myself and one other colleague do exactly the same job. I am paid £59k, she is paid £52k. I feel uncomfortable about this, and though obviously I don't want a pay cut, I raised this with a member of senior management during a road trip. I was advised that, it all came down to how we negotiated in interviews. If she was happy to settle on the £52k, then that is what her contract is and the company were happy to agree it. I however wanted the £59k, so that's what the company pay me. Now it maybe that the company value both of us at £70k, for example, however during our contract negotiations, and considering our self worth, we settled on the £52k and £59k. And so, individually, we are content with that (infact I know my colleague thinks she is over paid). I think the time and place to get this sorted was at the interview stage. Agreeing to stay on the same salary and discuss it at a later date (in April), may mean you missed your chance to set out your remuneration expectations for the new role?
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

So blinded by your jealousy you can't even recognise your own bitterness.

Ever thought that people on higher salaries might actually deserve it for all their hard work over the years?

People on NMW are usually there for a reason, that reason and the words hard work don't usually go hand in hand.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    lazer-zxr wrote: »
    I understand your view point, interestingly from the side of your higher paid colleague. For my employer in the private sector, myself and one other colleague do exactly the same job. I am paid £59k, she is paid £52k. I feel uncomfortable about this, and though obviously I don't want a pay cut, I raised this with a member of senior management during a road trip. I was advised that, it all came down to how we negotiated in interviews. If she was happy to settle on the £52k, then that is what her contract is and the company were happy to agree it. I however wanted the £59k, so that's what the company pay me. Now it maybe that the company value both of us at £70k, for example, however during our contract negotiations, and considering our self worth, we settled on the £52k and £59k. And so, individually, we are content with that (infact I know my colleague thinks she is over paid). I think the time and place to get this sorted was at the interview stage. Agreeing to stay on the same salary and discuss it at a later date (in April), may mean you missed your chance to set out your remuneration expectations for the new role?

Exactly that.

On one of my contracts, there was 5 of us and daily rate varied between £200 and £300 per day for exactly the same job and that was precisely due to negotiations before signing the contract.

Perhaps something to keep in mind for the future?
  • MK55
    MK55 Posts: 286 Forumite
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies really appreciated. Certainly wasn't bragging and was looking for advice.

The good news is it's gone to our director for review, due to the band A coming in at a higher wage. My manager has said they really don't agree this is right, as we are all internal no one is external in the recruitment, we don't often recruit externally unless for junior level jobs.

They've put a business case together and I should hear back w/c 2nd May so at least it is on it's way.

Other than that, i've really thought about my options and they are all on this thread:
    1) Accept and go with it
    2) Do the job for some experience put it on my CV and learn to not accept until salary agreed.

(Kind of gutted I trusted them to review it in April.... and i think that's what's helped in getting the business case forward as I've kept these emails, but i've been super friendly about it and don't want to ruin my relationship with my manager as if it was her choice, I would of already had it and I really believe that. Will come back in a few weeks and update you all, if you're interested! :) )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure