Best Hoover for dog hair/fur (merged threads)

Comments

• ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    bozzy wrote:
    Sorry folks but I think the Dyson is cr*p!

...This came up in the top 5 in the Which? survey whereas Dyson came at the bottom!

I read the Which report before buying the Dyson a few years ago. I don’t know what it says now as I don’t subscribe, but at that time, it said Dyson would have come top for all aspects of cleaning but for reliability and customer services which are apparently quite poor. On all other fronts, it was top. Mine’s been fine though. It’s used daily and has seen a fair amount of abuse in it’s time.

I would be interested to know how you came to the conclusion that they are crap. Was this based on experience or just a gut feeling of yours?
  • bluekp
    bluekp Posts: 439 Forumite
    I would seriously consider the Electrolux 7120 Bagless Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner.

Its more powerful than the Dyson Animal (1800 watts compared to 1400 watts) and only slightly less Air power (253 watts compared to 300 watts).

Anyway, I've used both and highly recommend the Electrolux both for its suction and also price (£80 Comet)

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/362_319937.html

Amazing hoover - often slightly worried it's going to suck up the carpet as it's that powerful!
    Debt at Highest: £11,630.10 (May 2006) Debt now: £0.00 !!!!
    Married to the man of my dreams :A - Sat 2nd June 2007
  • robwend
    robwend Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    sorry dyson everytime for me<cylinder >
    You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
  • bozzy_2
    bozzy_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    I've owned a Dyson for just over a year and the suck power is not as good as the Bosch one. I did not realise this until the day I replaced the Dyson with the Bosch. When I used it for the first time my carpets looks much better than it was when I had the Dyson. carpets looks so much cleaner and the fur removal is much more effective.

Which? is not recommending the Dyson anymore.
  • loopyloulou_3
    loopyloulou_3 Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    dyson animal for me! upright
    i love it to bits!!! had it for 3 years and wouldnt be without it!
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    With Dyson's (and probably others) it's important to wash the permanent HEPA filter periodically. I think the manual recommends every six months. I washed mine after about a year and a half and you could tell the difference immediately once I they were dry and refitted. It’s a pain having to wait for them to dry though. The manual recommends that they are allowed to dry naturally.
  • Cristy
    Cristy Posts: 173 Forumite
    To the OP: I bought a Dyson Animal upright today (though we have no pets aside from our toddler :)) from John Lewis, used a code they sent me in an email (junesaving) and paid £215.05 (original price on special offer £224). The code was only for £5 but somehow £8.95 came off the bill! I'm not complaining of course ;)

Just thought you might be able to use the discount if you decide to buy from JL...
  • Mumsie
    Mumsie Posts: 26
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've been through all the vacuum cleaners, from Vax, to Miele Cat and Dog to Dyson yet constantly saw on my travels that the majority of professional cleaners use a HENRY. My Dyson was good but it was so heavy and cumbersome - didn't maneouvre well - and oh, that pipe.....it just wasn't flexible enough or long enough to go the full length of the stairs. I felt worn out every time I used it because it was so heavy and I have decided that lightness and flexibility are what you need from a vacuum. Oh, and suckability. I don't want to feel worn out every time I've had the vacuum out. I'm not looking for aerobic sessions either every time I'm trying to pick up hairs. What works for me? A HENRY. It's light for starters. The castors make it easy to twist and turn. It's light enough to "dance" around a room at great speed, making vacuuming a pleasure (well almost!). The long stainless steel pipe is easy to control up the stairs and the tub is light enough to carry or rest on the stairs. It's easy to keep clean (inside and out), uses bags or can be bagless and it SUCKS well.
    TOP MARKS FOR A HENRY.
    Charles J
  • Mumsie
    Mumsie Posts: 26
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh, I forgot to mention - a HENRY only costs about £120! Half the price of a Dyson, the bags are cheaper in the long term and another point - you NEVER see Henrys for sale in the second hand section, but you see dozens of Dysons! That speaks volumes.
    Charles J
  • xela_17
    xela_17 Posts: 421 Forumite
    I'm another who is not impressed with dysons. We have in fact just put our dyson animal on ebay because it does not pick up the cat hair at all. It just rubs it on the carpet into a clump, which then has to be picked up by hand. I'm now looking for a dyson replacement but unfortunately can't afford a Miele cat and dog, otherwise that would be my choice.
    What did I do at work before I discovered MSE?!

DFD - WAS: a while ago

NOW - not sure, due to boyfriend going back to uni for masters and now pgce. Worth it in the long run!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport