The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How do you remove mould from bathroom sealant

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    roll up a piece of kitchen roll, and lay along the sealant, then pour bleach on top, and leave for 10mins - then just lift the kitchen roll off, bin it, and then give the sealant a quick swish with some water - brings it up like new, every time
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    why does my sealant always come off when it gets wet after a couple of times? :confused:
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    what the best way to strip the sealant using a knife etc might damage the bath!
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your silicone comes off when wet, it's probably not been put onto a clean surface to start with and has cured without fully adhering to the surface, or it was poor quality silicone.
    You need to remove it completely, clean the area to be redone. Let the area dry out. Fill the bath half full. Then reapply the new silicone.

As for removing it, this is difficult to describe and everyone does it differently.
    I use a new stanley blade to cut along the tile edge. I then cut out as much as possible with the blade. Then I have a sharp narrow wood chisel that I hold upto the silicone edge on the bath and carefully run it along the bath under the silicone, this lifts it up. You can scrape as much as you like providing the new silicone bead will cover it up.

I'm not sure why silicone needs to be cleaned. Mines good stuff and has been on for about 5 years. Its not discoloured in any way.

I think if you remove as much water from the area after your shower/bath it helps.

I always use the drying towel to give the shower cubicle a quick rub down to remove water after my shower. It takes me 15 secs to do and my cubicle looks the same as when I made it 5 years ago. Plus I've never had to bleach my silicone.

rob
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • Str4berr3
    Str4berr3 Posts: 666 Forumite
    I always do dry the bathroom sides everytime it gets wet, but eventually the sealant comes off when i wipe it dry. I have'nt replaced the sealant from the ones the previous owner put on, but i did try to do it once only to find out that i bought the wrong thing - it looked like cement and crumbled away when it got wet!!!
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    i want to remove it as eventually i will sell my house and it will look tidier without the mould on lol
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • zain
    zain Posts: 336 Forumite
    Does anyone know if silicone remover works. I want to try to get rid of the old sealant and i am struggling with a knife etc?
  • TimBuckTeeth
    TimBuckTeeth Posts: 521 Forumite
    zain wrote: »
    Does anyone know if silicone remover works. I want to try to get rid of the old sealant and i am struggling with a knife etc?

Silicone remover is OK to tidy up after removing most of the sealant with a knife. I don't think it would work too well if applied direct to full thickness sealant, it does say on the instructions on the one I have to remove as much sealant as possible first.

Last time I used a wide snap-off blade knife (allows a longer blade and better angle than a stanley knife) and a window scraper.

I used a bleach spray afterwards to clean any mould from the gap, then wipe down with meths to remove any residue and help dry the gap.

The shape of the new sealant should not be recessed or concave so that water will sit on it as that can lead to mould.
  • zain
    zain Posts: 336 Forumite
    Thanks - managed to get most of it removed without the need for a silicone remover. Anyway, I just wondered whether it is ok to give it a second coat of sealant the next day to make absolute sure or is that not usually necessary if it is done right the first time?
    Is there any harm in doing it?
  • filey1
    filey1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    I bought a sealant with a 25 year guarantee and I am going to have to replace it. I obviously have not kept the tube or reciept (I have quite enough junk around the house) as I did the bathroom about 3 years ago. I do have a bit of a tip that an old plumber told me, after you apply the sealant with a gun to get a nice smooth finish spit on your finger and run that finger along the sealant. I think there is something in spit that stops the sealant sticking to your finger. Sounds a bit daft I know but it has worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure