Being overpaid at work - what should we do ?

2»

Comments

• eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    A few of my friends work for the local council anda large amount of the staff got overpaid one month and apparently if you take the money straight out of your account they can't ask for it back as it prooves that you need it and so they can't take it back from you and you are actually being underpaid. Don't know if thereis any truth in that but it might be worth checking it out.
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Query it,maybe they are paying her the correct amount and you have got your sums wrong. there are a number of possibilities, a pay rise while she was on mat leave, adjustment for bank hols, etc.

if not, you are only going to worry until it is put right, arent you?
  • tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eilidh_s wrote: »
    A few of my friends work for the local council anda large amount of the staff got overpaid one month and apparently if you take the money straight out of your account they can't ask for it back as it prooves that you need it and so they can't take it back from you and you are actually being underpaid. Don't know if thereis any truth in that but it might be worth checking it out.

Unfortunately this is not true. As all the other posters have said - an overpayment, regardless of blame is not yours and can therefore be claimed back.

Regards
    tigtag
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • Dithering_Dad
    Dithering_Dad Posts: 4,554 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hmnn, last poster again TigTag? :rolleyes:

We had a nice little debate going here until you turned up and killed it off! :naughty:
    Mortgage Free in 3 Years (Apr 2007 / Currently / Δ Difference)
    [strike]● Interest Only Pt: £36,924.12 / £ - - - - 1.00 / Δ £36,923.12[/strike] - Paid off! Yay!! :)
    ● Home Extension: £48,468.07 / £44,435.42 / Δ £4032.65
    ● Repayment Part: £64,331.11 / £59,877.15 / Δ £4453.96
    Total Mortgage Debt: £149,723.30 / £104,313.57 / Δ £45,409.73
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would tell them as soon as possible. It may be their mistake, but it's their money and they may well want it back. If you haven't already spent it, then put it to one side ready to return it. However, depending on how much the overpayment was and for how long it was being paid, then I certainly wouldn't be paying it back in one lump sum, no matter what anyone says. Especially if it puts you in a bad financial position, like in post #6. It's their mistake afterall and they can't demand full payment if it puts you in a position where you can't pay your mortgage, bills, buy food, etc.

A few years ago I was overpaid for several months and I genuinely couldn't afford to pay it back in one lump sum. So I offered an amount I could afford and spread the payments over 12 months.

Someone else I know was overpaid for a while and then retired. The mistake wasn't discovered until that time and they tried to get it back. He told them the money was long gone and he couldn't afford to pay anything back. The matter was dropped and he didn't pay back a penny.

Report the apparent mistake, see what they say and if they want repayments, offer them on your terms, not theirs.
  • The danger in not informing the company asap is that they do not often request that overpayments are repaid via cheques. They often deduct from current pay. Reduction in fixed income (regular pay) often affects standing orders and direct debits, etc. The sooner the pay issue is clarified, the better. Don't keep quiet.
  • eilidh_s wrote: »

My wife is a Council payroll officer and what you say is totally untrue.
  • Habanero
    Habanero Posts: 2 Newbie
    Check out this link and pay particular attention to the third last paragraph: http://www.legalpulse.com/site/legalweb.nsf/DocView/66D02235D5A0F12080256D650063975F

it helped me out and I managed to argue the case with a local council and they eventually swept it under the carpet. Ching Ching!
  • Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    vaio wrote: »
    I seem to remember there is a maximum % they can take from your wages in cases of overpayment

think you might be thinking of workers in the retail sector and deductions for cash shortages or stock deficiencies, this is set at 10%.
    Bought, not Brought
  • HI, Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the request to repay the wages?

I received a letter today 17/01/09 stating I had been overpaid on the 05/10/07
    15months ago. I don't even work for that company any more.
    I find this request hard to believe after this long.
    I also have problems with them saying if I don't pay it back in 7days the matter will be forwarded to their solicitor.
    If they can wait 15months to tell me, they can wait 15months for the cash. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure