MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Janine profit from a Freecycle telly?

Options

Comments

• scarlets_knees
    Options
    I think this is the first MMM where I don't really see there's much of a dilemna. I've used freecyle to get rid of loads of stuff because either it wasn't really cost effective to sell it or I simply couldn't be bothered. If someone then went on to sell the stuff I wouldn't mind, well done to them. Of course there are always going to be people who abuse it, that's just the way it is but again well done to them, they've seen an opportunity and taken it.

Also at the risk of annoying freecycle/freegle/etc mods who've posted (I don't mean to) I also find it funny to think that Freecyle or any of the breakaway groups could really take the moral highground bearing in mind the mud slinging they have been involved in with accusations of dictatorial behaviour on freecycle's part and data theft by the breakaway groups.
  • janaltus
    janaltus Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't find a 2nd hand large telly on freecycle so ended up buying one from my neighbour (who I found on eBay). I put my old small telly on freecycle and no one wanted it!

If the colleague is not rich, or maybe just setting up home, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to them. If the colleague isn't a "deserving recipient", whatever that means, then I'd definitely bung it back on freecycle or donate to a local charity.

I think selling a 2nd hand telly might be fraught with difficult. Imagine the consequences if you sold it for £50 and then it broke down or, even worse, blew up!!!

Priority #1 - Keep it out of landfill!
  • sophiesofa
    Options
    Take the £50 but give it straight to a charity.

There's no way anyone should profit from freecycle.
  • reluctantworkingmum
    Options
    "Yes, as owners/moderators we do know that a lot of reselling goes on. We do act upon this if we can get firm information about a member who is doing is. I have kicked out a number of eBayers who were blatantly selling items gained from my groups. "

When I give - (which I do often)....it is because I cannot bear to see it thrown away & I dont have the time or energy to sell it. I COULD sell it if I wanted - so having CHOSEN not to ...... why on earth should I then lay down rules about what the recipient can or cant't do with it!!
  • Foxy_Steph
    Options
    Tell the truth and perhaps agree to give something to charity if the friend insists...
    Steph Savill aka FOXY Steph
  • NatFeerick
    NatFeerick Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2009 at 4:09PM
    Options
    As an avid Freecycler I don't personally mind if people sell the things I've given them as long as it keeps the items out of landfill, which despite many of the misconceptions posted here is the actual point of Freecycle. However, if someone buys a previously freecycled item, rather than getting one themselves from freecycle, it may be because they are not so environmentally conscientious, in which case the new owner may end up sending the item to landfill at some point when it could have continued to be freecycled - even non-working items often find homes on freecycle! If items go from Freecycle to car boot, they are often bought on an impulse, later deemed to be rubbish & they still end up at landfill. As when responding to freecycle posts, I think you have to judge each instance on its own merits - if she thinks her work colleague is a worthy recipient of an item enjoying a new lease of life, then sell it to them. If you think they'll use it for a month & dump it at the local tip....its back to freecycle with it.
    :money: Dedicated disciple of MoneySavingExpert.com and Savvy MoneySaver :A
    Mortgage Free ahead of schedule November 2008! :T

Calvin (to Hobbes) - "Sometimes the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere is that none of it has tried to contact us."
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got it! Give the TV to the colleague and show them how to sign up to freecycle/freegle in order to offer their existing TV.
  • janiebquick
    Options
    I am a member of Freecycle (now called Freegle). If I give away something on Freecycle, I really don't care two hoots what the recipient does with it, and our group isin agreement that selling it on is OK because it keeps it out of landfill, which is the crucial point.

If people make money out of Freecycle, then good luck to them - after all, they can hardly be making a fortune at it!
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • pennypinchUK
    Options
    I've not used Freecycle, but I wonder whether people who give items to them do so because:
    1. They can't be bothered to go to the hassle of selling the item themselves, and just want shot of it; or
    2. They are motivated by the spirit of giving to the less fortunate?

Gut feel it's more often the former. So they are likely to already know some people will try to make money out of Freecycle. In the same way, I've taken lots of stuff to my local refuse tip - the guys who run the centre pull aside all sorts of stuff sell it on. I know that's what they do and I'm happy with that - good luck to them. So if you don't like people making money out of your cast-offs, don't give it to Freecycle.

That said, I've got a couple of bits of furniture I want to clear out and was wondering what to do with them - I'll give my local Freecycle people a call! Thanks MSE !

P.S. I would give the TV to my colleague - if had taken the cash from them I'd not want the worry of whether it was still working, and running the risk of them moaning about it. That way, they're happy, I've done someone a good turn and I've also got a new telly in to the bargain so I'm happy.
  • Taffybiker
    Options
    It's Janine's property now. What she does with it is her business. I would probably give it away, but that's me. If Janine wants to sell it, then good luck to her. I wouldn't think less of her for doing so because as many have said, the whole idea is to keep items out of landfill.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure