We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

My scabby lawn

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    There is no one selective weedkiller that does everything equally well.

For example, what I find effective for docks and thistles won't have much effect on creeping buttercup.

Once I discovered that, I stopped wasting my time & money treating them with it.

But it is a learning curve and the EU regs certainly don't help. Take for another example their insane banning of the only product which deals effectively with bracken....and their subsequently being forced to back-pedal.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    It's nonsense, accusing companies of breaking the law without a shred of evidence.

I am sorry you inferred that but what I was meaning was that professional greenkeepers with the relevant certificates probably have access to much stronger chemicals - like the ones we used to routinely use, and which worked.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I am sorry you inferred that but what I was meaning was that professional greenkeepers with the relevant certificates probably have access to much stronger chemicals - like the ones we used to routinely use, and which worked.

And I'm sorry if I misinterpreted what you wrote, but the fact remains that there are no stronger chemicals than those which I buy, legally, from sites like the one quoted above.

No doubt Green Thumb and Greensleeves buy in bulk and obtain discounts, but they'll be the same products.

The rules governing the supply of chemicals will change in November of this year when "Grandfather rights" will no longer apply. This will possibly make it harder for unqualified * people like me to obtain the control products we need, but I'm sure it won't be impossible.

Yes, many chemicals have been withdrawn as a result of legislation. Sometimes, they were dangerous or damaging to the environment, so this was a Good Thing. Sometimes it was simply because no supplier was willing or able to put the product through the expensive testing procedures for certification.

However, what remains is, and has been, available to all who have cared enough to find them.

*I have a more extensive qualification than P1 and P6 that I'm obliged to have soon, but all qualifications need renewal, and mine are now out of date.
  • Gers wrote: »
    The lawn has been scarified twice this year and reseeded. Some reseeding hasn't been successful. ...

Try plug planting instead.

Bob Flowerdew from Gardeners' Question Time sows grass seed into planting cells and then transplants the small 'mini lawns' from each cell into the bare patches rather then trying to grow from seed.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Verdone 2 mentioned by others, is my favourite lawn weed killer. You really want to spray it on a few days after the lawn was last cut, and then resist cutting it again for at least week for the weeds to have time to destroy themselves. Only works when the weeds are actively growing. Getting too late for it now this year.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Another vote for getting one of the lawn care companies in :) I tried for years to sort my lawn out myself, then one year ago decided to hand it over to Green Thumb. Now looks like a green carpet for £16 every three months or so. Well worth it in my humble opinion. Wish I'd done it years ago!
    [
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,028 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Lorian wrote: »
    Verdone 2 mentioned by others, is my favourite lawn weed killer. You really want to spray it on a few days after the lawn was last cut, and then resist cutting it again for at least week for the weeds to have time to destroy themselves. Only works when the weeds are actively growing. Getting too late for it now this year.

It's not weeds which are the problem but the bare patches which you can see in the photos.
    Bennifred wrote: »
    Another vote for getting one of the lawn care companies in :) I tried for years to sort my lawn out myself, then one year ago decided to hand it over to Green Thumb. Now looks like a green carpet for £16 every three months or so. Well worth it in my humble opinion. Wish I'd done it years ago!

There are no such companies within 80 miles of where we are. Otherwise I'd jump at doing that for a couple of years.

As the grass seed I've got doesn't seem to be very active I've ordered a new batch of different seed. Think mine be dud stuff. At least growth of the grass is slowing down a bit.
  • Gers
    edited 5 September 2015 at 2:15PM
    I've been taking advantage of the hot sunny day and been out trying to sort out the lawn.

I raked out the debris and straw bit and then scattered a new batch of seed which the postie brought this morning. Then I raked it lightly again and then did a little light watering. Fingers crossed that this lot of seed is more effective.

I've come across photos of my garden in July / August - there's a massive difference so I suspect the 'weed, feed, seed' stuff did a lot of the damage. This photo was taken after the procedure and I suppose the damage is starting.

Towards%20spruce%20tree.jpg

It doesn't matter too much what caused the patches as long as they can be restored.
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    looking better already!

really would recommend a lawn conditioner though

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Westland-Aftercut-3-Day-Green-Lawn-Feed-and-Conditioner-Box/p/116740

can get it cheaper elsewhere
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • Gers
    wrightk wrote: »
    looking better already!

really would recommend a lawn conditioner though

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Westland-Aftercut-3-Day-Green-Lawn-Feed-and-Conditioner-Box/p/116740

can get it cheaper elsewhere

Sorry, that's the pic from July. Currently it's still scabby though I have hope.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure