PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Statutory Periodic Tenancy

Hi,
My Assured Shorthold Tenancy ends next Friday after 6 months. I was a bit confused as to why we hadn't heard from the agents about renewing so I phoned them just now. They told me that it 'rolls on' and I've checked the original agreement which states that it continues as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy.:confused:

I have never come across this before as I've always signed another 6 month or yearly contract when the last one ends with other agents/landlords.

I just wanted some advice really. I am pregnant, the baby is due in October and I was hoping for some kind of stability for a year at least. Now I'm worried that we can be given just 2 months notice to leave when I could be about to give birth! Do you think I should let the agents know my worries and if possible, try to gauge how long the landlord wishes to keep renting the property?

I've always felt secure renting in the past knowing I had 6 months at least before I might have to find somewhere else. The agent did say on the phone that they assume that all properties are long term lets but I'm in a bit of a panic now.

Does this mean that we will not sign another agreement?
We also have a certificate for our deposit protection which expires next week (when the tenancy does). Should we get a new one?

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Comments

• tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    mell242 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My Assured Shorthold Tenancy ends next Friday after 6 months. I was a bit confused as to why we hadn't heard from the agents about renewing so I phoned them just now.

You could maybe have contacted the Agent yourself before now if it was important to you to have greater security of tenure?
    They told me that it 'rolls on' and I've checked the original agreement which states that it continues as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy.:confused:

I have never come across this before as I've always signed another 6 month or yearly contract when the last one ends with other agents/landlords.

It is standard - when neither LL or Tenant do anything about a new contract, and the Tenant has not moved out, then the Agreement will roll onto a Periodic.

If you really want to sign up for another AST, tell the LA and or LL straight away but be prepared to have to pay out for one of the "Admin" charges so beloved of LAs, and they may say they also say that they want to credit check you again.

If you are a good tenant, most LLs won't want to lose you - many people continue on a Periodic for a number of years. Talk to the LA/LL - good communication is key!:smiley:
  • mell242
    mell242 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Yes, maybe I should have contacted them before but I didn't! I assumed that we weren't being kicked out as we hadn't had 2 months notice but I was expecting a new tenancy agreement.

I haven't rented for over 7 years as I sold my house last year to rent so this is all a bit new to me and I'm having to remember back to my student days!

Thanks for your comments anyway I will attempt to talk to our not very helpful Letting Agent
  • ennnceee
    ennnceee Posts: 25
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A variation on this theme.

We recently came to the end of a ten-year assured tenancy (not shorthold, obviously) agreement and as I understand it we are now automatically on a statutory periodic tenancy and, in this case, the landlord can only give us notice if we fall behind in the rent or contravene one of the terms of the original agreement.

Interested to see any comments.

Thanks

Ennnceee
    Filiss
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Yes, maybe I should have contacted them before but I didn't! I assumed that we weren't being kicked out as we hadn't had 2 months notice but I was expecting a new tenancy agreement.

I haven't rented for over 7 years as I sold my house last year to rent so this is all a bit new to me and I'm having to remember back to my student days!

Thanks for your comments anyway I will attempt to talk to our not very helpful Letting Agent

If you do ask for a longer fixed term AST bear in mind the contract only between you and the LL - if there's a mortgage and it's not a proper BTL one where they've been informed there are tenants and the LL stops paying it and they repossess then you can be evicted immediately - chose thine LL and their business model carefully.... as I suspect we'll see more of this.
    Most LLs will agree to longer fixed terms if they intend to stay in the business long term... if they insist on statutory periodic then they either don't want to pay agent fees to set up new contract (i.e. if you want you could offer to pay them probably 200 pounds rip off fees) or want the flexibility to sell when they want.
  • Once a fixed term agreement (AST) ends, if it is not renewed to another fixed period, it will automatically lapse into a periodic agreement where the main terms of the original tenancy still apply. It is a continuation of the original agreement.
    It is unusual for agents to allow this to happen because they don't get any 'renewal fees' from it.....if you want another fixed term, you should ask them for one, but be prepared to pay aforementioned fees, which could be £100's and a possible re-credit check. However, they're not legally obliged to offer you another fixed term.

On this issue of the certificate for your deposit, the deposit will remain protected for as long as THIS tenancy is valid (either fixed OR periodic) and you do not need another certificate just because your fixed term agreement has concluded.
    With my scheme (Mydeposits) , I would have to pay to unprotect and then reprotect the deposit if a new fixed term agreement is issued (as it is a new contract!) so I advise my tenants to lapse into a periodic agreement to keep their outgoings down, but then I am a long term landlord and have no intention of getting any of them out!
    The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. (Oscar Wilde);)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I think we will find more and more that a happy tenant and landlord allow tenancies to become periodic to save hassle with renewal fees, repeat credit checking and deposit protecting.

All original terms of AST apply, except obviously the end date.

Rent can be increased by serving a section 13 notice.
    With my scheme (Mydeposits) , I would have to pay to unprotect and then reprotect the deposit if a new fixed term agreement is issued (as it is a new contract!) so I advise my tenants to lapse into a periodic agreement to keep their outgoings down,

I'm still not convinced of the legality of mydeposits insistence on unprotecting and protecting, particularly as you wouldn't do a checkout while tenant in place. I didn't know that you could insist that tenant pays for the protection.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • tbs624
    ...I would have to pay to unprotect and then reprotect the deposit if a new fixed term agreement is issued (as it is a new contract!) so I advise my tenants to lapse into a periodic agreement to keep their outgoings down, but then I am a long term landlord and have no intention of getting any of them out!
    silvercar wrote: »
    I think we will find more and more that a happy tenant and landlord allow tenancies to become periodic to save hassle with renewal fees, repeat credit checking and deposit protecting............. I didn't know that you could insist that tenant pays for the protection.

Interesting. I think that its one of those areas that unless LLs/LAs show some voluntary restraint, will become regulated by law in the same manner that LLs /LAs were prevented from charging prospective tenants a fee for being given a list of properties/put on an accommodation list.

Given that the cost of registering a deposit is tax deductible, and it is possible to use the DPS free scheme IMO it seems a bit dry to pass the cost of registering the deposit onto a tenant, especially if they are “good” tenants.

In effect are you saying to a tenant “accept a periodic which gives you less security of tenure than a fixed term or pay extra for the privilege”? With TDSL this is a figure of £30 or £26 for NLA members and I guess that there will be a diversity of viewpoints: many LLs will alternatively cost the fees into their rental figures anyway. I suppose that where LLs/LAs charge an "admin fee" for printing off another TA for a new Fixed Term then it's maybe a case of "swings and roundabouts".

The fact that many tenants will end up going onto periodic tenancies because of the rules is perhaps another example of the ramifications of the whole scheme not being clearly thought through?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    The fact that many tenants will end up going onto periodic tenancies because of the rules is perhaps another example of the ramifications of the whole scheme not being clearly thought through?

Agree.

Having valued your contributions on tenants rights etc, I would be interested in your opinion on the validity of mydeposits insisting that granting a new AST requires the deposit to be unprotected and protected again.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • izzybusy23
    izzybusy23 Posts: 994 Forumite
    Hi,
    My Assured Shorthold Tenancy ends next Friday after 6 months. I was a bit confused as to why we hadn't heard from the agents about renewing so I phoned them just now. They told me that it 'rolls on' and I've checked the original agreement which states that it continues as a Statutory Periodic Tenancy.:confused:

I just wanted some advice really. I am pregnant, the baby is due in October and I was hoping for some kind of stability for a year at least. Now I'm worried that we can be given just 2 months notice to leave when I could be about to give birth! Do you think I should let the agents know my worries and if possible, try to gauge how long the landlord wishes to keep renting the property?

I've always felt secure renting in the past knowing I had 6 months at least before I might have to find somewhere else. The agent did say on the phone that they assume that all properties are long term lets but I'm in a bit of a panic now.

Does this mean that we will not sign another agreement?
    We also have a certificate for our deposit protection which expires next week (when the tenancy does). Should we get a new one?

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Hi there

This is quite common.. at the end of our six month tenancy it was due to roll over to periodic, but as I wanted some stability they done us a 12 month contract. We were lucky as we didn't have to pay an administration fee, you normally do.

I would approach your letting agent and ask them if you could go back on a contract, 6 or 12 months as you need that security. I am sure that would not be a problem... only if you decide a couple months into the fixed term your house is too small (like we did) and are tied in until the end. This time around we are going to go on periodic tenancy so we can just give a months notice if we see a bigger house we like.

Good luck!
  • tbs624
    ennnceee wrote: »
    A variation on this theme.

We recently came to the end of a ten-year assured tenancy (not shorthold, obviously) agreement and as I understand it we are now automatically on a statutory periodic tenancy and, in this case, the landlord can only give us notice if we fall behind in the rent or contravene one of the terms of the original agreement.

Interested to see any comments.

Thanks

Ennnceee

Assured tenants have fairly strong rights and need to safeguard them so its especially important that if you are on/have been on an Assured Tenancy Agreement and you have any doubts about your security of tenure you should always seek professional legal advice from a Law Centre or a solicitor with specific Assured Tenancy expertise, or guidance from the council’s private sector team (Tenancy Relations Officer) .

At the end of a Fixed Term the landlord does not have an automatic right to regain possession and if s/he does nothing, the tenancy will become Periodic , ie. automatically run from one rent period to the next on the same terms as the original fixed term Assured Tenancy. It will continue to run on this basis until you leave, the landlord replaces the Tenancy Agmt, or gives notice using valid grounds for seeking possession of the property. AFAIAA if the Assured Tenancy started on or after 28 Feb 1997 any replacement tenancy would automatically be on Assured terms -whatever it says in the Tenancy Agmt-unless you agree (on a particular form) to it being replaced by an AST. Such tenants should always seek appropriate advice before agreeing to an AST.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure