Shared Parental leave, both parents at same time?

Options
Hi All,

!

Could anyone that has used the Shared parental leave confirm if both parents can be off and paid at the same time? I assume not as it defeats the “Shared” part!

!

My wife plans to take 39 weeks of Maternity (she only gets government basic SMP) then 5 weeks unpaid leave, then officially go back to work but take 5 weeks holiday . At the day she officially goes back I plan to take the remaining Shared leave around 6 weeks. My employer pay me full pay for 6 months shared leave so I’m happy to take the 6 months but of course we want to keep the statutory pay also so I assume I couldn’t take it at the same time? Hence my wife would be back at work (officially, but be on leave) and I take over.

!

Yet when ive googled it many sites say the mother can take Maternity while the father takes Shared and be off at the same time? Any advice welcome.

!

Many thanks

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 February 2018 at 12:38AM
    Options
    You can!!!8217;t both have maternity - paternity leave at the same time.

You also can!!!8217;t take yours after your wife finishes hers. You have to take it when the baby is 0-6 months.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With shared parental leave, the mother has to curtail her maternity leave and change to ShPL. Assuming mother is not a factory worker she can do this after 2 weeks of maternity leave thus leaving 50 weeks of shared parental leave to be used. The 50 weeks can be shared between both parents how they wish e.g. being off at the same time but it is not 50 weeks each. If mother takes 30 weeks, father can only use the remaining 20 weeks.

In your case if wife is using 44 weeks of maternity/ShPL, there will be 8 weeks of ShPL available for you to use but unless your employers give enhanced entitlements there wont be any shared parental pay over the statutory 39 weeks which your wife has already taken.
  • lauraliz1985
    Options
    You can both be off at the same time as long as she has given her "binding notice" to return to her employers.
  • prezzacc
    prezzacc Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.

I do get 6 months enhanced from my employer yes. So I don't need the statutory. OK that makes sense so I think what we have planned is the best way to do it.

I understand we could both be off but only be off 25 weeks total then makes sense!
  • Lianka
    Options
    I just called the GOV but they weren't able to give me an answer haha. So does it mean, that for 24 weeks, while both parents are on Shhp, they both get a pay?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure